Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
marking the cover

I just put a cover image as the first "chapter" in an epub. The manual suggests that I mark it as the cover--but how do I do that? Do I use the alt field in the img src, thus: alt="cover" or what?

Also, do I continue to use the "start" and "toc" anchors as I do in the mobi version?

Thanks!
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The cover, toc and start points are generally reference items in the guide section of the OPF file. You can right-click the file in Sigil's Book Browser and use the "Add Semantics" menu for Sigil to create those guide reference items for you (use the Text semantic for the "start" point) -- IF those elements are in their very own separate (x)html files. If they're part of another (x)html file (or you only use one (x)html file) you'll still need to insert the anchors and then manually modify the guide section references of the OPF file with the hrefs that include your target anchors.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Bingo! Thank you.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
If you are going to convert the epub into Kindle (using Kindle Previewer) I also right-click on the image file in the Images folder and add the semantic cover.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
If you are going to convert the epub into Kindle (using Kindle Previewer) I also right-click on the image file in the Images folder and add the semantic cover.
Bob
I find Sigil usually does that for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Oldpilot
Groupie

Am I actually creating an OPF file by using the Semantics option? Can I view that file?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Am I actually creating an OPF file by using the Semantics option? Can I view that file?
No. Sigil creates an OPF automatically (if one doesn't already exist). Setting the semantics only (mostly) creates/modifies entries in the <guide> section of the OPF.

You can certainly view and manually modify the OPF file by selecting it in Sigil's Book Browser.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find Sigil usually does that for me.
(re: sigil adding "cover" semantic to cover image)

FWIW in the newest beta, it does not automatically add the semantic. On purpose. Evidently, under some conditions Sigil was guessing wrong. Now it'd up to the user.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
(re: sigil adding "cover" semantic to cover image)

FWIW in the newest beta, it does not automatically add the semantic. On purpose. Evidently, under some conditions Sigil was guessing wrong. Now it'd up to the user.
I saw that. It makes me very happy actually.