Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Notion Ink Adam Colors and design

In a follow up to last weeks design article Notion Ink now has another article posted showing even more design details and some explanation of what went into the making of it. http://notionink.wordpress.com/

In today's post they have some really nice looking renders of the final product and a poll on what your favorite color scheme might be.

The more they post the more my confidence returns that they may indeed pull this off and get it released yet this year. According to the post sometime in the next week and a half there should be some real ones produced - probably not available for testing (except internally), but still it is another step in the right direction. I've not started my Christmas list yet in anticipation of this being available.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
IOW, Yet Another Blog About Why Their Vaporware is Superior to Everyone Else's Vaporware.

Hmmm... And that is supposed to convince me to buy one. Not.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I voted for grey/white and yellow/black
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
IOW, Yet Another Blog About Why Their Vaporware is Superior to Everyone Else's Vaporware.

Hmmm... And that is supposed to convince me to buy one. Not.
I don't think you can buy one yet anyway. Iwas very much of the same opinion as little as a couple of months ago, right about the time there had been no new blog posts, no news about anything in fact. Now that they are posting and seem to be moving forward again I'm a bit more confidant that they'll eventually come out with a product.

The problem is that it will be competing now with every other tablet that comes out in time for the holidays. So, as much as I think I might like it, I'm going to be doing a fair amount of comparison and review reading before I buy anything.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
It was in turmoil a couple weeks ago. Some articles even mentioned that they were asked to change the OS, which indicated to me that it is far from a concrete product. Hopefully they now have stable funding and can concentrate on product development.

One big problem is the timing of the release. The second gen of iPad will probably be announced early 2011, which is around Adams release time frame. So Adams is really competing with second generation of iPad.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Iwas very much of the same opinion as little as a couple of months ago, right about the time there had been no new blog posts, no news about anything in fact. Now that they are posting and seem to be moving forward again I'm a bit more confidant that they'll eventually come out with a product.
Do they need money? Many times, when a vaporware company starts posting/talking again, it's because they're trying to get investors interested.

Show me a product that I can go buy. Until then they can talk all they want, just like the hundreds of other tech companies that do a lot of talking but never release anything.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
Hopefully they now have stable funding and can concentrate on product development.
My bet is the recent blogs/articles are because they're looking for stable funding. Many articles like that aren't really targeted at consumers, but at investors.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Do they need money? Many times, when a vaporware company starts posting/talking again, it's because they're trying to get investors interested.

Show me a product that I can go buy. Until then they can talk all they want, just like the hundreds of other tech companies that do a lot of talking but never release anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
My bet is the recent blogs/articles are because they're looking for stable funding. Many articles like that aren't really targeted at consumers, but at investors.
I hadn't thought of that. From some of the posts a month or so they gave the impression that the funding was all in place and things were on track, but you're right, until there is an actual product to buy it is all just talk.

I wont be one of the first ion line anyway, with the gazillion of them due out in the next few months there will be plenty of reviews to read, comparisons to make, and other research before I plunk down any money for anything. So if they do get it to market, great it'll be in line with the rest of them, but I do like what they've described so far.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Well, for me there's only two so far, and not gazillion: Lattice and Adam. In my opinion (and don't ask me to have a humble opinion, that ain't me) it's hopeless to read books on a regular LCD monitor. If the pad doesn't have Pixel Qi monitor, I won't buy it... Let's just see which one of them that comes out first.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
I voted for METALLIC BLUE only! Titanium Black and Titanium Grey are leading by a mile. But I want something different. I hope Notion Ink comes in 5 different colors for the initial release of the Adam.

I think Metallic Blue is not boring like black and grey. It's fresh. It also has silver accents which creates more interest. Still looks slick and mean yet elegant and professional. Doesn't call too much attention unlike the bright blue, yellow and red renders which I think are loud and makes it look like a toy and cheap, sort of something that Mattel will make. I wish there is a Black+Silver option though which will be my 2nd pick.

Though it would never beat Titanium Black or Grey, Let's at least vote Metallic Blue up to 3rd (currently battling that positiong with Black+Red and Grey+White)
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Black with Ferrari red would work well for me.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'd be happy with any colour right now just as long as they manage to get it to the market!
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #13
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
I will be happy when they release Adam into the world.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #14
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
I'm optimistic about this thing making it to market. So I'll go for black and red too!
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i vote for gray,
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote