Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Post Tips & Tricks: JPEG viewing

I noticed if you have several JPEG and/or other graphic files, one page each, in a sub-folder, as you look at one, the next page button takes you to the next file.

Those of you who have serial graphic pages, just put them in a subfolder and you can page through like a book
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I noticed if you have several JPEG and/or other graphic files, one page each, in a sub-folder, as you look at one, the next page button takes you to the next file.

Those of you who have serial graphic pages, just put them in a subfolder and you can page through like a book
What order does it display them in, alphabetical? My experience with simple mp3 players is that some just us directory order (i.e. the order in which you write them to the folder) and don't actually sort alphabetically.

I have a large collection of old electronics magazines that have been scanned and made into pdf files. I haven't experimented yet, but as each page is about A4 size, I could not read these without zoom - probably needs landscape mode zoomed.

Which format will work best on the PP, pdf with scanned images or a folder full of jpegs? Can you zoom and rotate in either format?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Actually, talking about this prompted me to just try one pdf file. It failed completely to display the scanned pages - nothing but blank white pages showing.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
What order does it display them in, alphabetical? My experience with simple mp3 players is that some just us directory order (i.e. the order in which you write them to the folder) and don't actually sort alphabetically.

I have a large collection of old electronics magazines that have been scanned and made into pdf files. I haven't experimented yet, but as each page is about A4 size, I could not read these without zoom - probably needs landscape mode zoomed.

Which format will work best on the PP, pdf with scanned images or a folder full of jpegs? Can you zoom and rotate in either format?

First, it displays in file name order. My experience with MP3 audio books is that it depends first on the player, but mostly on the track no. and also the track name's first couple of characters. I've had a devil of a time with my different MP3 players getting all my MP3 audio books to play properly on whichever one I use.

Second, I don't think the JPEG or any of the other graphic files will zoom. When I try any of the keys I just get the brightness and contract controls. So your files would need to be formatted properly, 600x800, and if you have text to read they would to be zoomed separately. A lot of work of just one time reads.

As far as a pdf image, I haven't played with that, only pdf text. I'm not sure the pdf image will zoom. Sorry. If your magazine collection is mostly text, I suggest letting one of the word processing programs to convert the pdf to text, and then save the text in your preferred format.
What I do when I scan one of my books is: Scan the pages into multi page pdfs (since my current scanner will not do text), then open the pdfs with my WordPerfect which converts them into text. I format and prepare them into a 3x5 page size, 17 pt Verdana font, and save them back to a pdf file. They read excellently on the PEZ.

Again, a lot of work, but I tend to re-read my novels a lot.

good luck.

AJ
Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Actually, talking about this prompted me to just try one pdf file. It failed completely to display the scanned pages - nothing but blank white pages showing.
My word processor has the capability of several selections for Pdf file publishing. I had to play with it to find the settings that will give me a proper file.

AJ
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post

Certainly true. They will also work like that in a zip file. Each image is zoomed such that it fits in the 600x760 window (banner bar takes some space) and turned to fit the best. Images up to about 4 Megapixel will work but larger images will take longer to shrink and display. Pressing ok brings up a brightness/contrast filter. Pressing the side next/prev buttons allow you to select brightness or contrast to change. I find that lower the contrast one notch on 6 inch unit and 1 or two notches on the 5" pocket pro provides more range of light to dark. Press ok to keep the changes or cancel to reset back to default. If you OK then the settings will be maintained so long as you only change images using the next/prev keys. The viewer manages pretty well. The LBook firmware has an extra feature of doing a slide show with 1-5 keys with the speed of the change dependent on which key you use. When in slide show mode you get the full 600x800 screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pez, tips