Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
johnstephens
johnstephens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPad
XHTML to EPUB and MOBI: How to mark up metadata in source document

Hi!

I'm a web developer, and I want to mark up XHTML documents for quick conversion to EPUB and MOBI formats. Calibre handles my source documents very well, but I'd like to automate the process as much as possible— Is there any way to incorporate metadata in the XHTML source code in a way that Calibre can recognize? In particular, I'd like to specify an image URL to be used as the cover, author(s), a publisher, and keywords.

I note that Readability uses something similar to the hAtom microformat to extract article metadata, and I haven't incorporated that into my template yet. Can Calibre parse mircoformats or other data structures?

Thanks for your guidance!
johnstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
johnstephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you, Kovid! That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you know of any way to specify the URL of an image for Calibre to use as the cover?

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cover specification in html is not supported. I suggest using the --cover option to ebook-convert
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
johnstephens

Thank you again! I did not know that Calibre had command-line tools— that's great! I have tried to specify a URL for the input file with no success. Is there a quick way to point Calibre's ebook-convert tool to a web document for input?
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

wget
ebook-convert
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
johnstephens

Thank you! wget was my backup plan. I'll do some more testing before posting additional questions— I'm very grateful for your guidance and support!

Tags
calibre, html, metadata, xhtml