Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
azw3 to epub - structure detection bug ?

I converted a retail azw3 to epub - with my usual preference settings ( heuristcs OFF)

but the conversion took a very long time, the resulting epub took even longer to open in sigil , and it seemed that the reason was that some chapters had been split into many, many XHTML files, with typically only 1 sentence per file.

I re-ran the conversion with all structure detection settings blanked out & it was fine. i.e. I removed this

//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']

and removed this

//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']

& with those bits removed I ended up with 1 file per chapter, & "normal" conversion /load times.

I don't do a lot of azw3 to epub, so I don't know if this was a specific issue with just one book or a more general problem ?. I Don't know how to inspect the source format to see what could have caused this. I used calibre 1.19 64 bit version.
I am just flagging this as something that may been more investigation, if anyone else has similr conversion experiences
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i don't know how to create & post an extract from a azw3 so I will leave it for now. Happy to arrange to provide a copy via PM for investigation. It could be that the whole book is needed to reproduce the "bug"

Also, I am not 100% sure that my structure detection xpath commands match the defaults or if I have previously tinkered with them, but they have never caused anything like this before
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i don't know how to create & post an extract from a azw3 so I will leave it for now. Happy to arrange to provide a copy via PM for investigation. It could be that the whole book is needed to reproduce the "bug"
The second half of item 1 says, "or use the calibre bug report system to create a bug with the file attached." For copyright works these bug reports and/or attachments (unsure which) can be made private.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Yes, I know & that means creating a new bug reporting account, as I've lost my previous credentials, then finding that I probably can't attach the book anyway because of size restriction.
Frankly it is far too much hassle, for something that may be a 1-book-only glitch.
I went to the trouble of posting what happened in case anyone else found that helpful. I am happy to arrange to forward the book as previously stated, but that's It.

I f I have cause to convert another AZW3 that gives the same problems then I'll reconsider but otherwise, life's too short....
Advert
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Stonebite
Stonebite began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine
Hi there.
New to this forum and had the same problem; guess that's actually no bug.

Previously converted books from AZW3 to EPUB perfectly but the latest one got me over 3000 pages instead of ~700

Actually i'm not exercised in html but comparing the html from a book that worked fine with the wrong one it occurs that the AZW3 download from Amazon got the command <p class="chapter"> a lot of times between the text...therefore it makes a 'pagebreak' on the reader...either in the Calibre reader and also in the physical E-Book Reader.

However, thx cybmole the solution from your primary post worked fine for me...
Stonebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Also, I am not 100% sure that my structure detection xpath commands match the defaults or if I have previously tinkered with them, but they have never caused anything like this before
@cybmole - you can have a look at the defaults by hitting the Restore defaults button (top right) - just don't hit Apply - unless you really want to restore them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote