Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #76
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I guess I didn't understand what pirating is all about.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #77
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I don't want people going away thinking that 'torrent' is synonymous with 'illegal activity' though. Torrenting is also a very effective way to distribute legitimate material. Examples are clearbits, GameUpdates.org for game demos, patches, and mods, and LinuxTracker.
And don't forget Project Gutenberg's e-books, which can be downloaded via torrent.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #78
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
You have something you like, you want to share it. You benefit from others sharing their stuff with you, so you share your stuff with them. As simple as that. Money has nothing to do with it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #79
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like every single discussion for months now is nothing but an ugly endless argument?
It's NOT just you ...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #80
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
I don't want people going away thinking that 'torrent' is synonymous with 'illegal activity' though. Torrenting is also a very effective way to distribute legitimate material. Examples are clearbits, GameUpdates.org for game demos, patches, and mods, and LinuxTracker.
Jamendo uses them for music by indie bands who are into "let people download for free and pay if/what they want".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
There are different kinds of pirates. There are people who offer collections of ebooks (which they probably pulled from filesharing sources) for sale. There seem to be websites that offer loads and loads of downloads but require signup, but for all I know they scam their customers in addition to the whole piracy business.

But I'm pretty sure the brunt of "piracy" is made up of people like ardeegee explained. The high-quality, carefully checked ebooks certainly are the works of fans, who want to spread their favourite book - same principle as someone trying to lend their favourite book to everyone they know, from a pure reader's-perspective. Only with more reach.

There's probably also a portion of people who see it as fight for their principles ("Information must be free!"), and I hear there are people who just like to collect files for bragging rights.

But, yeah, usually no fees but whatever your provider charges you for your internet connection, unless you're ignorant and think someone offering 100 ebooks for $10 on some ebay clone is legitimate.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #81
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This is not retail (or if it is, its been tampered with). Retail text is always justified and here you can clearly see the text is not. A typical example of a lower quality copy compared to the actual purchased copy.
How long would it take to justify it?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #82
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I will say that I haven't managed to spot a UK edition of the Harry Potter ebooks. There are astonishingly good versions of the US editions out there though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Is there much of a difference, other than weird spellings of colour and the like?
I think it's most obvious in the first book, with "Philosopher's Stone" being replaced by "Sorcerer's Stone". This also leads to some other changes being required. Let me see if I can remember one...

Oh yes, in Chapter 16 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, in the UK version there are these two paragraphs:

“And in our first year,” said Neville to the group at large, “he saved that Philological Stone —”
“Philosopher’s,” hissed Hermione.

which had to be change in the US version to

“And in our first year,” said Neville to the group at large, “he saved that Sorcerous Stone —”
“Sorcerer’s,” hissed Hermione.

Which is a lot weaker in my opinion.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #83
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Besides the changing of spelling, words and idioms were changed if they seemed too British, e.g. from British jumper to sweater, came top of the year to had the best grades of the first years, etc. The changes were done so that apparently American kids could appreciate the books without becoming boggled down in foreign words. An extensive list of changes can be found at the HP Lexicon.

Recently this has been in my mind a lot, as I've also been searching high and low for ebooks in British English, with no success. Partly my insistence on BE is due to my desire of matching ebook versions with their pbook copies, but also because the British English editions are the ones with which I grew up, and I appreciate their local flavour. (Damnit Bloomsbury, release a BE edition already, I want searchable, digital copies! )
Given the list of changes I would have thought it would be easy enough to change them back?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #84
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Many so called pirates, a.k.a. lammers are here

Last edited by astra; 01-29-2011 at 06:16 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #85
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
Jamendo uses them for music by indie bands who are into "let people download for free and pay if/what they want".
Ooh, I think I might check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Given the list of changes I would have thought it would be easy enough to change them back?
I never thought of that. I suppose I wouldn't mind doing that if I had to quote the occasional passage, but when it comes to reading for pleasure, I'd probably rather read my paper books. I'm not sure if the website I linked to covers every single change, and I'd hate having to carefully and laboriously proof-read the texts to make sure sentences still make sense, as well as tweak spellings.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #86
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think it's most obvious in the first book, with "Philosopher's Stone" being replaced by "Sorcerer's Stone". This also leads to some other changes being required. Let me see if I can remember one...

Oh yes, in Chapter 16 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, in the UK version there are these two paragraphs:

“And in our first year,” said Neville to the group at large, “he saved that Philological Stone —”
“Philosopher’s,” hissed Hermione.

which had to be change in the US version to

“And in our first year,” said Neville to the group at large, “he saved that Sorcerous Stone —”
“Sorcerer’s,” hissed Hermione.

Which is a lot weaker in my opinion.
That can be jarring, worse for me, my order of the phoenix is the US edition and my philosopher's stone is the Canadian edition.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #87
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
An extensive list of changes can be found at the HP Lexicon.
Thanks for the link. I hadn't realised that they had been messed about quite so much. It makes me even more surprised that there isn't a British English version anywhere in the torrents.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #88
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Great, just sent a report to my managers arguing against DRM on our entire range of ebooks about to be released and found this thread less than 24 hours later. I know anyone can circumvent DRM if they want to but my argument was the majority of readers are honest.

Another point. I accept that pirates pass on pirated material but if it was your hard earned money that bought that ebook or Adobe program how quick will you break that DRM and pass it on for free?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #89
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This is not retail (or if it is, its been tampered with). Retail text is always justified and here you can clearly see the text is not. A typical example of a lower quality copy compared to the actual purchased copy.

I really don't know what all the squabbling is about "Retail" but the fact that it has to be justified is not true. This is my copy of the Clan of the Cave Bear bought from Amazon on October 7, 2010 for $1.59 - put in Calibre and now living as a Mobi file. I'll post my receipt if you insist. As you can see, not justified.

It really makes no sense to me that somebody would buy a current book, scan it, and then assemble an ebook from the scan for the sake of pirating when DRM can be broken in under 5 seconds. Maybe there's an advantage to it that I'm not understanding. Older books where the torrents have been around since the time when eBook were not readily available are a different thing obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cob.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	65698  
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #90
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
btw, I'm not a formatting expert by any means but a couple of months ago somebody posted a hack for the Kindle 3 to get the possibility to turn full justification off on the Kindle. That is what I use because I prefer ragged edge when I read.

Most of my books show up as not justified now on the Kindle.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote