Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
EvilWayz
EvilWayz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Has this ever happened to anyone?

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman crashes my Sony Reader. I've tried reformatting it, I've tried formatting my reader and reuploading it, I've converted it with 2epub.com and Calibre. It either restarts the device, or gets stuck. i paid 8 bucks for this book and I'd like to read it, anyone have any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong, or any tips?

I run linux btw, newest stable kernel.
EvilWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilWayz View Post
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman crashes my Sony Reader. I've tried reformatting it, I've tried formatting my reader and reuploading it, I've converted it with 2epub.com and Calibre. It either restarts the device, or gets stuck. i paid 8 bucks for this book and I'd like to read it, anyone have any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong, or any tips?

I run linux btw, newest stable kernel.

What's the original format, ePub, LIT, Mobi???

How about using Calibre to convert it to LRF instead of ePub?

Another idea, use Calibre to convert to Mobi and then convert the Mobi back to ePub.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
EvilWayz
EvilWayz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I can't recall actually, i want to say epub with no drm. I tried converting it to lrf, and now i have a book the reader thinks has 2300 pages, and lots of blank pages, and it gets stuck somewhere about page 15 of teh table of contents, which it displays one chapter per page.

i'll try converting it to mobi and see what happens.
EvilWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Worst case scenario, display it in a desktop reader, select the whole text, click copy, then paste it into Open Office, save as a PDF and then convert back to epub. It's annoying, but it should strip away anything that's causing problems.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Do you go back and try to open it after the reader crashes from trying to format? I have this issue with Calibre downloaded newspapers. If I let the reader reboot, and go back to the file that caused the crash, it might crash again, but by the next reboot it will finish formatting.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Redownload the book. Once you buy it, you can download it as many times as possible.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Create a copy of the epub.
Rename the *.epub to *.zip and unzip it.
Now you will have a html version of your book. Open the html in your browser, copy all and paste into Word. Check the formatting to be as you desire. Scan through and make sure there aren't any strange symbols or null characters, then save it as Web Page, Filtered html. Import that into Calibre and convert back to epub or to lrf.

Last edited by edbro; 08-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

After re-downloading the book, try opening it again before doing any conversion. If the re-downloaded book still crashes your reader I would notify Sony. Occasionally publishers screw up the ePub formatting just enough that a Sony reader pukes when it tries to read it. Just one meta tag entered incorrectly, depending on which tag, and the reader can puke.

Quote:
Create a copy of the epub.
Rename the *.epub to *.zip and unzip it.
Now you will have a html version of your book. Open the html in your browser, copy all and paste into Word. Check the formatting to be as you desire. Scan through and make sure there aren't any strange symbols or null characters, then save it as Web Page, Filtered html. Import that into Calibre and convert back to epub or to lrf.
Good suggestion. However large ePubs can have multiple HTML files. Sony readers apparently have a problem with HTML files bigger than 260 KB so they break the book out over multiple files. I've got a Bible ePub that contains nearly 100 HTML files.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.