Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
lemonboy
lemonboy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why so slow on metadata

I have the 0.7.15 calibre with a load of lit files and windows vista.

If I try to load metadata from the web, it takes an inordinate amount of time.

I have an isbndb account.

I can take the title and search on amazon and find the isbn before calibre decides it cant find anything.

When I then put in the isbn found from amazon it takes about 2 mins to find the metadata.

Why does this take so long, if I try to search for multiple files the problem is multiplied and effectively makes the multiple lookup function impossible.

When carrying out a multiple search, the gui only tells you how many files are being searched, it gives no indication of progress, therefore if it is locked up you do not know.

Is the lookup using some form of scraping on Amazon, if so what code is it using and where is the function (in what language). I'm sure this can be much more effective - as I said earlier, I can actually do this quicker with a manual search in amazon. If someone can tell me where to look in the code, I can surely try to make this more efficient.
lemonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
probably because you have a proxy setup
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
lemonboy

No, no proxy. Direct internet connection. As I said I can do a manual amazon search quicker - to at least find the isbn

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonboy View Post
I have the 0.7.15 calibre with a load of lit files and windows vista.
I run Vista

Quote:
If I try to load metadata from the web, it takes an inordinate amount of time.
Not on mine
Quote:
I have an isbndb account.
Me too.
Quote:
When I then put in the isbn found from amazon it takes about 2 mins to find the metadata.
Mine takes about 3 seconds with the ISBN and about 13 seconds to find 20 possible matches when only author/title are listed.
Code:
Why does this take so long, if I try to search for multiple files the problem is multiplied and effectively makes the multiple lookup function impossible.
I multiple search very often.

Quote:
Is the lookup using some form of scraping on Amazon, if so what code is it using and where is the function (in what language). I'm sure this can be much more effective - as I said earlier, I can actually do this quicker with a manual search in amazon. If someone can tell me where to look in the code, I can surely try to make this more efficient.
I can tell you where in the code to look, but you'd be better off finding what's borked on your machine first.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

are you sure you have no proxy? calibre reads proxy settings from the registry (the same settings that are used by internet explorer) if you dont use internet explorer you may never realize you have the proxy settings set.

Malware in windows often sets proxy settings to compromise your machine.
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
lemonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I run Vista

I can tell you where in the code to look, but you'd be better off finding what's borked on your machine first.
I've tried it on four machines with vista, xp and windows 7, all with similar performance, maybe they are all borked. If there is something in the default setup of calibre I've got wrong, can you point me in the right direction. I don't think it's the internet connection as I can look up the info manually pretty quickly (by manual standards), but I do connect via a local router so if there is a particular port (TCP/UDP) I need to open can you let me know (although it does seem to get there eventually).
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no calibre uses standard http requests for metadata download.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonboy View Post
I've tried it on four machines with vista, xp and windows 7, all with similar performance, maybe they are all borked.
The odds of all 4 being "borked" is remote, as long as IE connects OK then calibre should connect fine too.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The odds of all 4 being "borked" is remote, as long as IE connects OK then calibre should connect fine too.
I don't see a confirmation that any of the 4 machines have been tested with Internet Explorer. If it's the proxy problem suggested by Kovid I suppose they could all have been infected the same way.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I don't see a confirmation that any of the 4 machines have been tested with Internet Explorer. If it's the proxy problem suggested by Kovid I suppose they could all have been infected the same way.
I agree with you that's why I brought up IE as a verification point. I thought he might try it and return the results here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote