Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
tomd365
tomd365 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
505 absolutely will not create a collection from Calibre

I have been experimenting and reading posts for (2) days trying to get a simple 3-book collection transferred from Calibre to my 505. The books transfer fine but, no collections. If I am understanding everything posted here, I should see a collection for each tag and a series collection. Also, if I sort on the series number in Calibre before sending to the reader, the books should be in series order.

I know this has been talked about in several posts and I have been through everyone of them over the past couple of days. I am suspecting that I have something set wrong in Calibre that is preventing the series and tag data from transferring. Is there any way to check to see if the metadata transferred to the reader?

Anybody with any thoughts at all would be appreciated. I think Calibre is great and it has done everything I need for organizing my book collection on the PC. Now if I could just get it to organize collections on my reader.

Please help...
tomd365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is nothing at the Calibre level that affects this.

I seem to remember that the media.xml file on the 505 can get corrupted. In which case it needs to be deleted and the re-transfer the books to get it recreated..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
tomd365

Thanks, itimpi. Have deleted and recreated the 505 xml file a few times with no change. In Calibre, the books have a series, series order, and tags seperated by commas. They are sorted by series order and tranferred using send to device. When I open the books in the 505, there are no collections - the books are listed by author and by title.

Anyone else with ideas on what I might try? I have reformatted the 505 3 or 4 times to no avail. I am only trying to do a 3 book experiment and it will not create a collection...
Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Seems like I remember Kovin writing somewhere that the Sony's collections thing needs to be reverse engineered or something before "collections" on the sony will work.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
tomd365

I do not know if this helps but, this is what the .xml file looks like after I transfer the 3 books. Anybody out there see anything obvious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xml screenshot.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	48512  
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
Seems like I remember Kovin writing somewhere that the Sony's collections thing needs to be reverse engineered or something before "collections" on the sony will work.
They work fine on my 505; they always have.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
They work fine on my 505; they always have.
I stand corrected.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd365 View Post
Thanks, itimpi. Have deleted and recreated the 505 xml file a few times with no change. In Calibre, the books have a series, series order, and tags seperated by commas. They are sorted by series order and tranferred using send to device. When I open the books in the 505, there are no collections - the books are listed by author and by title.

Anyone else with ideas on what I might try? I have reformatted the 505 3 or 4 times to no avail. I am only trying to do a 3 book experiment and it will not create a collection...
How did you reformat your 505? Did you format it via advanced settings - format internal memory?

There is only one place that you could change to cause this. Go to preferences - plugins - device interface plugins - select PRS-300/505 and customize plugin. It should be similar to the attached image. The bottom section determines what are turned into collections. If this is empty you get no collections.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device_interface_plugin.png
Views:	274
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	48518  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote