Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
kid friendly movies

http://www.kids-in-mind.com

This is a wonderful site that breaks down a movie to determine how “kid friendly” it is. It really does a great job categorizing and rating the sexual / nudity levels, profanity levels, and violence / gore levels in countless films to include a lot of current new releases.

As a father of three I find this site to be invaluable in determining what movies my children can or cannot watch unattended or even with supervision.

edit: cut and paste below from the site's home page to give further detail.

"HUH? WHAT IS THIS?

We enable adults to determine whether a movie is appropriate for them or their children, according to their own criteria. Unlike the MPAA we do not assign an inscrutable rating based on age, but 3 objective ratings for SEX/NUDITY, VIOLENCE/GORE & PROFANITY on a scale of 0 to 10. We also explain in detail why a film rates high or low in a specific category, and we include instances of SUBSTANCE USE, a list of DISCUSSION TOPICS that may elicit questions from kids and MESSAGES the film conveys. Again, unlike the MPAA, we do not make age-specific recommendations. Since our system is based on objective standards, not the viewer's age or the artistic merits of a film, we enable adults to determine whether a movie is appropriate for their children according to their own criteria. As we never tire pointing out, we make no judgments about what is good or bad or anything else. We do not "condemn," "critique" or "criticize" movies. And we don't "praise" or "recommend" movies either..."

If you have kids and want to monitor what they are watching without having to sit through the movie this is a great site to visit. (make sure to use a popup blocker though)
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I've used this site from Focus on the Family, for all of my movie reviews. It reviews other media as well, but I've only ever used it for newly released movies.

http://www.pluggedin.com

rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
We enable adults to determine whether a movie is appropriate for them or their children, according to their own criteria.
And after the kids go to bed you can reverse the sortation and find all the good ones that you want to watch!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
And after the kids go to bed you can reverse the sortation and find all the good ones that you want to watch!!
Oh- it's been so long since we've seen a "grown-up" movie! (Although our daughter is growing up so fast it seems, soon we'll be saying "it's been so long since we saw a children's movie!") Of course, I don't know if you ever get too old for a good kids movie! I know my parents love when they can take her to a kid's movie, as if they couldn't go to one without her!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My problem was always that PG-13 hasn't been around that long (think red dawn was first to incorporate it). Regular rated PG back in the day use to show brief nudity.
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Common Sense Media breaks potentially objectionable elements down into different categories, explaining which are age-appropriate and which are probably not. They review movies, books, and video games. I don't have kids, but I am fairly squeamish about certain things, so I find these reviews useful.
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Last edited by Fledchen; 01-16-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
My problem was always that PG-13 hasn't been around that long (think red dawn was first to incorporate it). Regular rated PG back in the day use to show brief nudity.
I've always been puzzled by what the objection is to nudity - not sex, but nudity. Why is it wrong for children to know what the human body looks like?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always been puzzled by what the objection is to nudity - not sex, but nudity. Why is it wrong for children to know what the human body looks like?
It's an aspect of American culture that dates back to the Puritan communities. Americans tend to see all nudity as sexual, regardless of context.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
It's an aspect of American culture that dates back to the Puritan communities. Americans tend to see all nudity as sexual, regardless of context.
Very correct.

And based off of my upbringings I do not wish my 11 or 8 year old to watch nudity on television or at the theater. I am not a prude or anything, heck I am a big fan of breasts. The kids however have to wait.

Tags
a happy_terd production