Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #31
glynes
glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Spent my first full weekend with my new Gen 3, and I'm delighted. Being brand new to the ebook world, I don't have any experience to base an opinion on, but any complaints I have are minor in comparison to what I love about it.

On the plus side: Set-up was a breeze, and so far it works exactly as it's supposed to. Downloading books is a snap. The font and font-size choices, which was the big selling point for me, do the trick (allowing me to read with my glasses on, so I don't have to fumble for them if I want to look at something farther afield ... sat on my deck reading yesterday, and could just glance up at the gorgeous view occasionally ... no fuzzy trees!). I've begun just with free ebooks, and have several collections of classics already installed (thank you Gutenberg Project!), plus some other miscellaneous sci-fi and mystery works ... I'm off work today, so suspect I'll up the current 382 book count considerably, especially now that I've eliminated all the demo stuff that came on the gadget. The reader is snug in its nice cover, comfy to hold, and fits nicely in my purse, so will go with me absolutely everywhere. I'm getting used to the nav button, although I still occasionally reach for the upper right corner to turn the page!

On the minus side: Getting through the library is cumbersome. I would forego the folder idea if I could just sort by Genre. In fact, I would like to have the genre listed ... anywhere at all ... and would gladly trade the cover art thumbnail for that information. My memory isn't all that great, and by the time I get around to reading some of these, the titles won't mean much to me! 8-)

Things I'm ambivalent about: the screen flash took a little getting used to, but not a problem. Because I'm busy downloading content, I haven't had to worry about charging, but I've made a place on my little homemade charging station, and ordered a second USB cable to go with the AC adapter, so it will get plugged in along with my phone every night ... I have to reach across to get my car keys, so there's no worry about every forgetting it (besides which, having reorganized my purse, stuff would rattle around too much without it in its place!)

Overall I give it a very satisfied 9 out of 10.

Last edited by glynes; 06-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.
glynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #32
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynes View Post
I have to reach across to get my car keys, so there's no worry about every forgetting it (besides which, having reorganized my purse, stuff would rattle around too much without it in its place!)
Excellent review! But please be careful, the screen is very vulnerable - you can read much about broken/repaired screens around the forums (with all readers)...

Maybe an extra sturdy box - some advices in the accessories section - can help prevent damage.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynes View Post
Spent my first full weekend with my new Gen 3, and I'm delighted. Being brand new to the ebook world, I don't have any experience to base an opinion on, but any complaints I have are minor in comparison to what I love about it.

On the plus side: Set-up was a breeze, and so far it works exactly as it's supposed to. Downloading books is a snap. The font and font-size choices, which was the big selling point for me, do the trick (allowing me to read with my glasses on, so I don't have to fumble for them if I want to look at something farther afield ... sat on my deck reading yesterday, and could just glance up at the gorgeous view occasionally ... no fuzzy trees!). I've begun just with free ebooks, and have several collections of classics already installed (thank you Gutenberg Project!), plus some other miscellaneous sci-fi and mystery works ... I'm off work today, so suspect I'll up the current 382 book count considerably, especially now that I've eliminated all the demo stuff that came on the gadget. The reader is snug in its nice cover, comfy to hold, and fits nicely in my purse, so will go with me absolutely everywhere. I'm getting used to the nav button, although I still occasionally reach for the upper right corner to turn the page!

On the minus side: Getting through the library is cumbersome. I would forego the folder idea if I could just sort by Genre. In fact, I would like to have the genre listed ... anywhere at all ... and would gladly trade the cover art thumbnail for that information. My memory isn't all that great, and by the time I get around to reading some of these, the titles won't mean much to me! 8-)

Things I'm ambivalent about: the screen flash took a little getting used to, but not a problem. Because I'm busy downloading content, I haven't had to worry about charging, but I've made a place on my little homemade charging station, and ordered a second USB cable to go with the AC adapter, so it will get plugged in along with my phone every night ... I have to reach across to get my car keys, so there's no worry about every forgetting it (besides which, having reorganized my purse, stuff would rattle around too much without it in its place!)

Overall I give it a very satisfied 9 out of 10.
you've done a good review here and echoed much of common consensus on the forum about the Cy. I don't think there is anyone who hasn't moaned about the library navigation (or lack of)....

enjoy and welcome to MR...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #34
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
the current thing bugging the hell out of me with it is the page turn , the hard press you need to make it turn or rather the long hard press, it wouldnt bother me if i believed it needed to be held this long for the device to register something has happened but this isnt the case, the status light flashes green the millisecond you press the button but if you dont hold it long after this ........ nothing happens !!
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #35
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherspin View Post
but if you dont hold it long after this ........ nothing happens !!
No problem here, it is more like a short 'tap', just enough to click the button and that is all it takes
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #36
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nothing more than a wee tap on the end of the button ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #37
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
same here with me... just a little klick does the trick...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #38
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
I love my Cybook, and for me it does what it is supposed to do, read books. I see people complaining about delayed firmware upgrade, but for me that really doesn´t matter. If I didn´t hang around here all the time I probably not even had known a firmware upgrade was possible. Of cause folder support would be nice, but essential? I don´t think so...

What irritates me somtimes though is when I plug my Cybook in to my computer to transfer some books, and it thakes forever for the computer to "find" the Cybook.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Love:
The screen
The form factor
The capacity
Battery life
Takes SD cards
USB mini interface

Hate:
No folder view. This is a huge fail on their part.
Can't organize books at all
PDF docs don't flow
Vendor slow with firmware updates
Too expensive
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #40
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Love:
The screen
The form factor
The capacity
Battery life
Takes SD cards
USB mini interface

Hate:
No folder view. This is a huge fail on their part.
Can't organize books at all
PDF docs don't flow
Vendor slow with firmware updates
Too expensive
That's not true.
Personally I have some 480 ebooks on my Cybook.
I made folders by Genre, then Author, and view them Sorted by File Path.
I'd like Folder view (I'll love it when it will come ), but I can manage as it is now !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #41
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
PDF docs don't flow
Even if there is some "hack" with PDF for reflow, the PDF is not a good reflow format. Some PDF can be reflowed correctly, other will never, and some will looks like crap if you try to reflow them...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #42
marcinJ13
marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.marcinJ13 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Love:
* Size
* Weight
* Battery life
* Reading experience

Don't like:
* One folder for everything
* Long startup time when having more than few hundred books
* Not recognizing soft hyphens

Hate:
* Support
* Support
* Support
* Support
* Support

Some of the "don't likes" will be probably resolved with next firmware. However next relase will be "around noon on second doomsday of first quarter of XXI century" - hence my "hate" list.

Last edited by marcinJ13; 08-13-2009 at 04:49 AM.
marcinJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
That's not true.
Personally I have some 480 ebooks on my Cybook.
I made folders by Genre, then Author, and view them Sorted by File Path.
I'd like Folder view (I'll love it when it will come ), but I can manage as it is now !
Well, now than i folder view and got used to it, i wouldn't be able to live without it. It's on my "reader must have it for me to consider buying it'" list.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Folders are very, very useful (I'm using a separate folder for each author on my Opus), but for me it's not a "must have" feature.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Folders are very, very useful (I'm using a separate folder for each author on my Opus), but for me it's not a "must have" feature.
It is to me now.
Damm usefull to read scan trads with picture view.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote