Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
andythefiredog
andythefiredog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Cases Are Just Sad. New Idea Instead

Hey all.

I've been very disappointed with the Kindle 2 case I've seen so far, so decided to take it upon myself to design a beautiful wood case with a magnetic latch to store my kindle. At the moment, it's just a very accurate 3d model, but I plan on getting it machines out of two blocks of Cherrywood or Oak. It will be a little over an inch thick.

I uploaded some pics to flickr (I'm also working on a case for my mini 9 !)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2739851...7614734239525/

Anyone think this would be something interesting to others that I could eventually sell?
andythefiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
It looks very nice, but I wonder about how much it would weigh.

If it's properly executed it could sell, though I don't think it would move in huge numbers. I mean even Oberon prolly doesn't move more than a few thousand units/year for Kindle covers. Of course I'm just guessing at the number.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
andythefiredog

Quick response! My concern was weight too, but I've held the wood block, and it's not that heavy at all, granted it weighs more than the kindle, but it's meant to protect it like in a bookbag, or somewhere where it could damaged.

Machined Aluminum... Now that would be light and strong. HEHE
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Have you actually felt any of the cases? They are pretty sturdy. They aren't going to livve through being run over by a car, but I dare say neither would yours. Stiff things like wood don't slide around in your pack, they tend to get into an angle that more often than not becomes an irritant.

I'm sure yours is lovely, but I don't think I would want one.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If it's done up right, with beautiful woods like burl or flame maple, a lot of people would want it because of its looks.

But of course, that would really drive up your costs too!
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I had been hearing good things about the Kindle II case up to this point, the wooden one is beautiful though.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
andythefiredog

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. Although wood isn't really that much for 1 1/4" slabs I think. I'm even thinking about carving the name / logo in the front of the it, and also saving people on costs by selling it unfinished (a la "Wood You" furniture").

You could buy it, finish it yourself, then just screw on the hinges with 4 screws.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythefiredog View Post
Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. Although wood isn't really that much for 1 1/4" slabs I think. I'm even thinking about carving the name / logo in the front of the it, and also saving people on costs by selling it unfinished (a la "Wood You" furniture").

You could buy it, finish it yourself, then just screw on the hinges with 4 screws.
Well, I wish you luck...

But have you seen this:

?

Imagine that in a nice saddle brown. That's what my Kindle will be wearing.

You idea isn't bad, but you'll have stiff competition....
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ohhhh who makes that case? awesome
Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
ohhhh who makes that case? awesome
The one I posted? That's an Oberon.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard

yes....that rocks bigtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
The one I posted? That's an Oberon.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Love the wood Kindle box, very nice. I love wood.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
This looks quite nice, but how would it be for protection? Remember that the main purpose of a case is to protect the device from damage.

Last edited by ChaseKR; 03-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
pretty cool idea
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
bristowe
bristowe began at the beginning.

I am fine with the case I purchased but thought it should have been about 9.99 instead of 29.99. The kindle is worth the hefty price but I believe it should have come with the case I had to purchase.
bristowe is offline   Reply With Quote