Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are the reasons that made you decide to buy an e-reader ?
Free books (having the option of downloading ANY book from the Internet for free instead of having to pay for paper) 70 27.34%
"Legally" free books (public domain books, hard to find or unavailable in print books, digital releases, old books...) 134 52.34%
Portability (being able to take a 100 books on a trip instead of just a few or getting rid of the weight) 220 85.94%
Availability (you have a choice of more books to buy or download for free online then in your local bookstore / library) 94 36.72%
Price (you pay for digital books but they're still cheaper then the paper version and you don't mind losing the paper) 77 30.08%
Instant gratification (the speed of downloading a book via your computer or via WLAN VS going to a bookstore / library) 96 37.50%
Home storage space (one hard drive or e-reader memory card VS many cupboards crammed with books) 164 64.06%
Access to english (or other) books when in a foreign country 33 12.89%
Mobile / unplanned access to books (unplanned buying new books by WLAN on a train or in an airport or on holiday) 23 8.98%
Gadget love (you love gadgets and buy any new gadgets that come to market regardless of usefullness) 73 28.52%
Poor eyesight (you can't read the small print in paper books but you can read the largest font on your e-reader) 35 13.67%
Ecology (you want to save forests and trees from being cut down to make paper books) 47 18.36%
You were already reading books on your computer and this is easier to carry around and read in bed 57 22.27%
You wanted to give a suitable gift to an avid reader or addicted gadget geek 7 2.73%
You need the built-in dictionary or some other feature not directly related to reading 25 9.77%
Your eyes hurt less from reading e-paper then from reading real paper 21 8.20%
It's easier to read in the dark (because you have an LCD-based device or an e-paper based one with built-in lighting) 21 8.20%
Your e-reader is more comfortable to hold in your hands then books are 97 37.89%
E-readers don't age like paper books (they don't turn yellow, don't get twisted and ruffled-up) 33 12.89%
Reading comics 9 3.52%
Reading news 13 5.08%
Study (you use it to read textbooks or manuals) 19 7.42%
Work (you use it to look over documents and annotate or correct them, like correcting your own writing or student tests) 19 7.42%
You like looking cool and high-tech and want people to see you using it 12 4.69%
You're exceptionally prone to papercuts 9 3.52%
You love anything shiny, just like a crow 40 15.63%
Some other reason 24 9.38%
You bought an e-reader but weren't satisfied with the experience and decided to go back to strictly reading paper books 1 0.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #31
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I ticked 18 reasons as they all applied to me..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
About 75% applies to me. I have not lost the feeling of wonder I got when starting to read my first ebook on my Sony PRS-300.
Impressive number of reasons... For me it was free books, availability, storage space, gadget love, already reading on computer, comics, and maybe a little cause it's shiny and high tech The other reasons don't apply to me.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Me too.
OMG, you're Xena !?
GO XENA !
There seems to be a lot of Xenas here... No wonder since she's the sexiest and toughest sword-wielding chick ever... A lot of other scantily clad babes on avatars too... The one on Care's avatar isn't scantily clad but I love her eyes and the look in her eyes - self-confident and determined - that is one smoking broad...
Khm, sorry small diversion here, couldn't help myself, being male and all... Carry on people...
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #33
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You love anything shiny, just like a crow
The Sony 650 just looks awesome....
Not as much as the PRS-505...
All the 3 new look exactly alike. Only different sizes.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #34
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
I have never read a book on a 'computer'. I started reading on a PDA. And then moved to a dedicated reader. It ain't the same thing.
Whatever you say pal. Anyway we can't change the poll now.
I've known for a long time some people use a phone or a PDA for reading, I can't imagine ever doing that, not even for a short while. That horrible bright screen and so tiny ! My eyes would drop out ! My 6" PRS-505 is the minimum size I can read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
I was pretty dubious about a reader replacing my favourite reads...... paperbacks! but once I purchased the PRS600 I fell in love with them and wouldnt go back to PBs especially now that I have upgraded to the 650. I just love it
This seems to be a typical attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
For me, it was "oh look, a nifty neato new gadget (!) that allows me to read books AND geek out with electronic stuff!"
Kewl!
Actually, my first thought at seeing an electronic book reader? Ooooooh, shiny!!!
It must be easy to go Christmas gift shopping for you...
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #35
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Great poll! I particularly like 1) that you included most of the options I would have thought of and 2) that I can pick more than one option instead of having to agonize over which is most important.

I should have picked "love anything shiny--just like a crow" but I didn't because I thought that wasn't a "good" reason. But I do, and sometimes I buy things because of it. Though I bought the Kindle for solid economic reasons. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I want the *new* Kindle because it is shiny. With the better screen and the better web browser and the better pdf-handling and all.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

POLL COMMENTARY BY THE AUTHOR (please offer your own opinions / explanations / conclusions)

Well as I've said before this poll will be open undefinitely but I think we already have enough votes in to draw some conclusions. And I'll be bold enough to try ! I may not be an expert, may not have a certificate, may not be perfectly objective, but you'll forgive me for the impudence, won't you ?

Well some choices were popular like I expected while others completely surprised me. Among other things, it seems that a lot of people like shiny things ! Even more that just won't admit it...
The biggest surprise for me is that almost half of the voters are more comfortable holding / using e-readers then paper books. I've never felt paper books were a problem in that regard, except for their slightly irritating tendency to close on their own and stay not completely closed after you put them down if you've spread them too far... So I guess hooray for e-readers in that regard !
One other important result is that almost one third of the voters admit that at least one of their reasons for getting an e-reader is reading free books downloaded from the Internet (and I don't mean "public domain" books), and that's on a forum which is dominated by Americans (or US citizens as our friend Pablo would say ). In a truly international poll with more (say same number relative to their population sizes) people from for example Russia, China, or countries in eastern Europe or northern Europe the ratio might be 4/5 or at least 3/4. I'm just speculating here, of course people in those countries might not be able to afford an e-reader even if they do read books and desire one, and as the Americans here may not be aware but I am e-reader availability is very poor in many parts of the world outside of US/Japan/UK. For example in my country you can get pretty much any new smartphone or digital camera you can get in the US in stores or webshops easily, but not so with e-readers like Sony's line or Kindle (most people get them on eBay). That's because the e-reader target population is much, much smaller then the smartphone / digital camera target population.
Also, one half of people read public domain books. Me not so much, I mostly read modern SF / fantasy, but I have some old classics (which should be public domain I guess) on my reading list (Shakespeare stuff and Gilgamesh).
Anyway, my point is this - with most of the people interested in free downloaded / pirated books (whatever you want to call them) and public domain books as well it seems that any e-reader scheme limited to reading only DRM protected books (and there were such ideas, oh yes !) is doomed to failure ! I hope you're reading this DRM-loving e-reader manufacturers !
Other conclusions from the poll ? Well it seems over half the voters have cupboards or even houses overflowing with books and have trouble when moving ! You people will be the end of the Amazon forest ! Good thing we have e-readers now ! Anyway, it surprises me so many people have so many books...
Portability is the most popular choice by far, it seems A LOT of people like traveling equipped and traveling light !
Availability, price and instant gratification are expectedly popular but the number of gadget lovers has surprised me - yey gadgets !
Also, the number of people with impaired vision or ecofriendly people is also significant, not an obvious market for e-readers but one to be taken into account.
I was also suprised that only 8% of people care about e-reader software features ? Then what's with all the talk about the new special features bla-bla ? Maybe people didn't understand that that choice was for people who like / need ANY of their e-reader's software features not directly related to reading ?
Also I was a bit surprised / disappointed at the number of people who use e-readers for comics and other non-book-reading purposes, it seems there are more people who care about their device staying shiny and new ! And more people use it for work then for reading comics !? I always thought e-readers were perfect for comics (with a bit bigger screen and some necessary software features) and not well suited for work (I added that as an afterthought trying to think of every possible use) because of slow refresh rate whick makes for poor interactivity. If you chose work as a reason please say what you use it for exactly, I'd like to know ?
Oh, and only 5 out of 115 people voted on the "you like looking cool and high-tech and want people to see you using it" option !? Come on people, I know you all have at least some vanity in you, admit it !
That's all from me for now, sorry for burying the forum with piles of words but at least I'm not using paper and killing the rainforest !
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I take advantage of tech to serve my needs, but I'd prefer non-shiny gadgets if possible.

I don't enjoy having people staring at or asking about my stuff. (I'm not rude about it; I just don't wanna be conspicuous that way, or give demos and such.) I also figure that the less shiny and coveted your stuff is, the less likely you're at risk of being a crime victim, lol.

In parts of Asia, there are plenty of people with iPads and iPhones (lots on the subway and such). I feel more comfortable using my iGadgets there than in the U.S., where I've seen fewer of 'em.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #38
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
... it seems that any e-reader scheme limited to reading only DRM protected books (and there were such ideas, oh yes !) is doomed to failure !
Are you saying someone is selling an eReader that will read DRM ebooks, but not unencrypted ebooks?

I'm not aware of any like that. Do you know which one?
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #39
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Milady wife was insisting that I dispose of a p-book before I buy another p-book. If it's not worth keeping then it's not worth buying.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
The biggest surprise for me is that almost half of the voters are more comfortable holding / using e-readers then paper books. I've never felt paper books were a problem in that regard, except for their slightly irritating tendency to close on their own and stay not completely closed after you put them down if you've spread them too far... So I guess hooray for e-readers in that regard !
I guess you never think about cracked spines and general wear and tear on your paper book? And perhaps you don't read long books either? (there's a significant difference between holding 200 g in your hands and 1 kg)
Quote:
One other important result is that almost one third of the voters admit that at least one of their reasons for getting an e-reader is reading free books downloaded from the Internet (and I don't mean "public domain" books), and that's on a forum which is dominated by Americans (or US citizens as our friend Pablo would say ). In a truly international poll with more (say same number relative to their population sizes) people from for example Russia, China, or countries in eastern Europe or northern Europe the ratio might be 4/5 or at least 3/4. I'm just speculating here, of course people in those countries might not be able to afford an e-reader even if they do read books and desire one, and as the Americans here may not be aware but I am e-reader availability is very poor in many parts of the world outside of US/Japan/UK. For example in my country you can get pretty much any new smartphone or digital camera you can get in the US in stores or webshops easily, but not so with e-readers like Sony's line or Kindle (most people get them on eBay). That's because the e-reader target population is much, much smaller then the smartphone / digital camera target population....
I wasn't sure which one to tick here, as one of my original reasons for getting my first e-reader device was fan fiction, which is actually free but not pirated material. What I have noticed with regards pirated books is that the formatting is usually crap (much worse than the stuff I can buy) and I only want to put up with that if it's material that's so old it's otherwise unavailable as ebooks. Besides, when I can afford convenience, I pay for convenience - and I'm a fairly honest person living in a fairly honest culture - that might make a difference as well.

I can also tell you that the reason that ebooks and ebook readers are not yet so widely popular in Denmark is the lack of e-books available in Danish combined with the steep price of the reader devices. It's not so much the availability of the devices themselves that's a problem, it's content in Danish.

Quote:
Also I was a bit surprised / disappointed at the number of people who use e-readers for comics and other non-book-reading purposes, it seems there are more people who care about their device staying shiny and new ! And more people use it for work then for reading comics !? I always thought e-readers were perfect for comics (with a bit bigger screen and some necessary software features)
What bigger screen? The comics I read have a large paper size (think French/Belgian comics) and often in colour. Do please recommend me an ebook colour reader with a large enough screen that is also comfortable and light (and relatively cheap) for me to read Asterix on
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #41
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
I'm just speculating here, of course people in those countries might not be able to afford an e-reader even if they do read books and desire one, and as the Americans here may not be aware but I am e-reader availability is very poor in many parts of the world outside of US/Japan/UK. For example in my country you can get pretty much any new smartphone or digital camera you can get in the US in stores or webshops easily, but not so with e-readers like Sony's line or Kindle (most people get them on eBay).

I just thought I'd mention that Algoritham now carries e-book readers (Cybook readers, I believe with a touch screen. Around 2200 KN ). So, the e-book readers available for sale in Croatia (like everything else here) are overpriced. I imagine that Kindle and Sony buyers are hit with heavy duty fees when their readers are shipped here, as well. I've only seen one other person in Croatia with an e-book reader, and she was a (German?) tourist.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #42
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Are you saying someone is selling an eReader that will read DRM ebooks, but not unencrypted ebooks?

I'm not aware of any like that. Do you know which one?
I don't exactly remember which model, I think it was maybe one of Sony's early models, maybe the Librie ? Anyway I remember reading about such things in the early days of e-readers, some debate on whether or not future e-readers should allow unencrypted books at all ! I sure wouldn't buy such devices, and many other people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I just thought I'd mention that Algoritham now carries e-book readers (Cybook readers, I believe with a touch screen. Around 2200 KN ). So, the e-book readers available for sale in Croatia (like everything else here) are overpriced. I imagine that Kindle and Sony buyers are hit with heavy duty fees when their readers are shipped here, as well. I've only seen one other person in Croatia with an e-book reader, and she was a (German?) tourist.
Well, if we're gonna get local (and I think that's better left for the PMs ) I should first tell you that your attempt at name translation should say Algorithm (the original name is Algoritam folks)... Secondly, thank you for pointing out that Cybook sale, wasn't aware of it till now, don't tend to visit their website, only their local bookstore occasionally and haven't seen that there. So they seem to be selling two Cybook models on their site, but I'm still not aware of any other model on sale in Croatia, out of the dozens existing worldwide, though I've seen the PRS-505 on sale in personal adds, and I've seen some news on www.bug.hr saying that Kindle was supposed to be available here after late 2009. but I have yet to see it in any store or webshop.
As for overpricing, it's true all electronics here are overpriced (like 30% to 100% more expensive then in the US) but it still stands you can get most smartphones or cameras here (and I know, cause I've searched) but can't get e-readers and the best explanation I can think of is a small market.
I've seen one other person with an e-reader (my brother ), also a PRS-505, and we both got ours overseas (mine was bought in the US, his in the UK), while an imported one might cost almost double the price in the US (counting shipping cost, tax and import fees) so no wonder few people have them.

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 12-23-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #43
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I guess you never think about cracked spines and general wear and tear on your paper book? And perhaps you don't read long books either? (there's a significant difference between holding 200 g in your hands and 1 kg)
Actually I do, on both accounts.
I don't know what books you mean that weigh 1kg (an encyclopedia maybe ?) but I commonly read books of up to 700-800 pages (small or medium format). I'd say that's pretty long, though not the longest I've read by far. The biggest/heaviest book I have that I actually read (instead of just look things up in it) is a large format illustrated encyclopedia of Greek/Celtic/Germanic mythology.
And I do worry about the wear and tear on my books, more then most people I know, cause I like them to look new on the shelf, and not bent and twisted. But that wasn't a major reason for crossing over to e-readers for me, in fact it's a reason against it, because reading digital books means you don't get wear and tear on the books but you also don't get anything to put on the shelf either...

Quote:
What I have noticed with regards pirated books is that the formatting is usually crap (much worse than the stuff I can buy)
I've had that experience rarely, no problems with most books, and sometimes purchased digital books can be even worse.

Quote:
I can also tell you that the reason that ebooks and ebook readers are not yet so widely popular in Denmark is the lack of e-books available in Danish combined with the steep price of the reader devices. It's not so much the availability of the devices themselves that's a problem, it's content in Danish.
Well I prefer to read books in the original language, and since I mostly read foreign authors and especially American ones that's usually English. The same goes for 3 out of 4 people I know who often read books (they're all young people who speak good English), so I can say that the main reason e-readers are not yet widely popular in Croatia is not content availability, but instead device availability and price, and even more importantly (cause those two problems can be overcome by those who want to) the inital reluctance of people to try reading off a screen instead of reading off paper (and I know cause I've tried to convince people but repeatedly get the "oh it doesn't have the smell and feel of paper" or "it's just a computer screen" lines).

Quote:
What bigger screen? The comics I read have a large paper size (think French/Belgian comics) and often in colour. Do please recommend me an ebook colour reader with a large enough screen that is also comfortable and light (and relatively cheap) for me to read Asterix on
Well I'm not exactly an expert on large-format e-readers (I prefer 6-7" that you can hold easily) but I think Illiad and Hanlin had a 10" model (that should be enough to satisfy any girl ) and there may be others now that e-reader models have started replicating like bunnies. I remember reading about a large thin reader for newspapers named Skiff Reader, don't know if that's out yet but it looked real cool and futuristic.
I've tried reading various comics on my Sony PRS-505 (mostly Alan Ford) but aren't satisfied with the experience because of 2 problems - zoom and "paging". The first problem is that comicbook pages are usually too big for my reader so if I read them zoomed out so they fit on the reader the letters are too small (especially since the scans are usually poor and blurry) and if I zoom them in it's a problem moving around to other parts of the page (that might be easier with the new touch interface and faster refresh). The second problem is that my reader doesn't support .cbr and doesn't support folders (still goes for newer Sony models !) so how the hell am I supposed to group comicbook pages / images ? A dozen comics makes for thousands of image files on the reader all in the same folder, it's a mess ! If anyone's got a solution for these problems, please enlighten me !

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 12-23-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #44
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Well I'm not exactly an expert on large-format e-readers (I prefer 6-7" that you can hold easily) but I think Illiad and Hanlin had a 10" model (that should be enough to satisfy any girl ) and there may be others now that e-reader models have started replicating like bunnies. I remember reading about a large thin reader for newspapers named Skiff Reader, don't know if that's out yet but it looked real cool and futuristic.
I've tried reading various comics on my Sony PRS-505 (mostly Alan Ford) but aren't satisfied with the experience because of 2 problems - zoom and "paging". The first problem is that comicbook pages are usually too big for my reader so if I read them zoomed out so they fit on the reader the letters are too small (especially since the scans are usually poor and blurry) and if I zoom them in it's a problem moving around to other parts of the page (that might be easier with the new touch interface and faster refresh). The second problem is that my reader doesn't support .cbr and doesn't support folders (still goes for newer Sony models !) so how the hell am I supposed to group comicbook pages / images ? A dozen comics makes for thousands of image files on the reader all in the same folder, it's a mess ! If anyone's got a solution for these problems, please enlighten me !
I think you just answered you own question/puzzlement about why people don't use their ebook reader for comics. Both hardware and software doesn't really support comic books in a satisfactory way yet.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #45
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I think it's safe to say that ereaders are not all that ecofriendly once the environmental impact of their production is taken into account.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote