Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Samsung Note 8

Seems Samsung is releasing a Note with an 8" screen. Could be the ideal solution for students. Large enough screen for textbooks with the added feature of note taking and the capability to organize them.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Seems Samsung is releasing a Note with an 8" screen. Could be the ideal solution for students. Large enough screen for textbooks with the added feature of note taking and the capability to organize them.
The same people that thought the original Note was crazy are at it again.

If you want only one device and you want a very usable screen (stylus) and a phone, it will fit the bill. You just need a cargo pocket or a big belt holder.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said, I think it will be THE student device. Easy to throw into a backpack, add a small BT keyboard and you can work on term papers anywhere, including Starbucks while listening to music. In class it is easy to take notes, check formulas on Wolfram Alpha, Wikipedia access and provided everything the teacher hands out is in PDF they can just download it in the classroom. The Note 10.1 is probably more versatile but the Note 8 hits the sweet spot between usability and portability for the academic segment of the market.
Price off course is still undecided, but I'm thinking $229, maybe a Student Edition with USB connector and BT keyboard/cover for #259.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
How come is 8 sweet, and 10.1 too big? Compared to ANY text book that you frequently lug around in college or university, a 10.1 inch is hardly worth mentioning.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

True, but it is heavier to hold, people will hold it with their weaker hand, using the stronger for writing. Some lecture halls, from my experience, doesn't have tablet holders. The size also makes it harder, in my experience, to keep it stable while only using one hand. The problem might not be as noticeable for men as it is for women though.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Back in the days, I never held my binder with empty paper with my left hand. It was always flat on the little desk in front of me - either in the big rooms with benches, or the small ones with real tables and chairs. It is hard to take notes on paper when you have to hold it in your hand. The one problem I can see though is resolution and speed. I doubt the Note can compare to writing on paper.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Our experiences differ. I was in a lot of large lecture halls that didn't have small desks attached, or if they did they were usually so flimsy as to be unusable. The Note 10.1 is very close to being paper realistic. I would assume the 8 to have similar specs. The 10.1 would be similar to an A4 and the 8 to a B5 notebook.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 02-27-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Changed equal to similar, it was the relationship I wanted to point out, not the dimensions.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Price off course is still undecided, but I'm thinking $229, maybe a Student Edition with USB connector and BT keyboard/cover for #259.
You're dreaming. The Note 10.1 sells for $450. My guess would be more like $350.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Perhaps, but they just lowered the price on the 10.1 and I think they might want to give it a competitive price against the iPad Mini.
From the information I gained it seems the Note 8 primarily relies on established components and those should be under downward price press. At any rate it will be interesting once Samsung disclose the price.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
10" isn't anywhere close to A4. I don't have an A4 sheet handy, but a letter size sheet (8.5 x 11) has a diagonal of 13.75" and an A4 sheet is close to letter size (a little narrower and a little longer.) An 8 inch tablet would be a nice size, but it is 2 inches less than a 10 and almost 6 inches shorter that a letter sized sheet.

I've reading quite a few pdfs on my 10" Transformer. It works wee but I would love to have the Toshiba 13" just for pdf. Eight inches would be too small.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Perhaps, but they just lowered the price on the 10.1 and I think they might want to give it a competitive price against the iPad Mini.
From the information I gained it seems the Note 8 primarily relies on established components and those should be under downward price press. At any rate it will be interesting once Samsung disclose the price.
350 is competitive against the iPad mini. You pay a little more but get a Wacom pen, an expansion slot and Android. For Samsung the days of must-be-cheaper-than-Apple-to-sell are over. When you spend a lot on R&D and make innovative products you don't want to sell them all at bargain prices. And Apple is no longer cool, remember? The Mini is just a rehash of the iPad2.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-26-2013 at 07:25 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
350 is competitive against the iPad mini. You pay a little more but get a Wacom pen, an expansion slot and Android. For Samsung the days of must-be-cheaper-than-Apple-to-sell are over. Apple is no longer cool, remember? The Mini is just a rehash of the iPad2.
Except their designs really suck - white, shiny, plastic cases trimmed in ghastly chrome
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Except their designs really suck - white, shiny, plastic cases trimmed in ghastly chrome
If 2 monkeys our age think they are cool --- that means they have missed the mark!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Our experiences differ. I was in a lot of large lecture halls that didn't have small desks attached, or if they did they were usually so flimsy as to be unusable. The Note 10.1 is very close to being paper realistic. I would assume the 8 to have similar specs. The 10.1 would be equal to an A4 and the 8 to a B5 notebook.
In, one little college I went to the psychology dept lecture halls didn't have desks. There was tiered bleacher steps that you sat on. You only had your lap for a desk.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
10" isn't anywhere close to A4. I don't have an A4 sheet handy, but a letter size sheet (8.5 x 11) has a diagonal of 13.75" and an A4 sheet is close to letter size (a little narrower and a little longer.) An 8 inch tablet would be a nice size, but it is 2 inches less than a 10 and almost 6 inches shorter that a letter sized sheet.

I've reading quite a few pdfs on my 10" Transformer. It works wee but I would love to have the Toshiba 13" just for pdf. Eight inches would be too small.
I was trying to point out the relationship between the devices, not the dimensions in relation to paper sizes. I did this poorly and apologize.