Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
VinceG
VinceG began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Can I read my wife's purchased book?

Hello People.

I have bought my wife a Kindle for christmas and she has just purchased a book on the device direct from amazon.

Can I transfer the book into "my" library on my computer and then to my ipad so that I can read it? It looks an interesting book but she obviously won't lend me the kindle for long enough to read the book.

I am certainly not going to buy it again for my ipad. We wouldn't if it was paper would we? She would read it first then me.
VinceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
If you registered the Kindle app on your iPod to the same Amazon account, you can read the book on your iPod. Open the appp and select "archived books". It should be there.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceG View Post
Can I transfer the book into "my" library on my computer and then to my ipad so that I can read it? It looks an interesting book but she obviously won't lend me the kindle for long enough to read the book.

I am certainly not going to buy it again for my ipad. We wouldn't if it was paper would we? She would read it first then me.
In order to do this you would have to remove the DRM from the book then convert the book to epub. There is a thread over in the Kindle area that addresses drm removal. The only caveat is when they talk about tools_2.3.zip, it is now up to 2.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
If you registered the Kindle app on your iPod to the same Amazon account, you can read the book on your iPod. Open the appp and select "archived books". It should be there.
Much better answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ditto for a Kindle for PC app on your PC.

"most" books can be on "up to" 6 devices if registered to same Amazon kindle account.

NB in this context, definitions of "most" and of "up to" are hard to come by- the book publishers still have some wriggle room :-)

PS - also be advised - Amazon has this whispernet synchronisation "feature" whereby it keeps the "last page read" set to the same page across all devices. So if you are both reading the book at one, keep one of the devices offlline to avoid one of you losing your place.

Last edited by cybmole; 12-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
VinceG

Not the same account

Hi People. Thanks for the answers.

No, it's not the same account. We both have our own amazon accounts. I bought her the kindle and it was registered to my account, but when I set it up I registered it to hers.

With that in mind, any ideas?
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceG View Post
With that in mind, any ideas?
Check out what I lined through in post 3.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
change the registration in your kindle for ipod app from your to hers, then you can read the book. afterwards you can change it back. I'm pretty sure it's easy to amend registration details in the kindle for device apps - no need to uninstall+reinstall.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
And that's why the Kindle is registered to my account. That way, all books will be available at my PC and his kindle.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
VinceG

Thanks guys, I've taken the path of least resistance and put my wife's details on my ipad. The book automatically synced to it. Will swap it back when I've read it, thanks again.

I've got calibre installed so may look at the plug in later.