Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
keyblademaster
keyblademaster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Page error

Hey guys. I recently purchased the book "The Pleasure of My Company",by Steve Martin, for my PRS-600 from the Sony ebook store.However, after loading it on my PRS-600, I tried to open it up,(on the reader), and I got a yield sign saying "Page Error!".(I could view the book just fine on my pc). I could not go to another page or anything in that particular book. My PRS-600 was authorized to view books from my account, but it still gave me that error. I tried updating the PRS-600, updating the Reader Library software, clearing the cache of my Reader, uninstalling and reinstalling the Reader Library software, re-syncing the book, and deleting and re-purchasing all the books. All of these methods did not remove the "Page error" from stopping me to view The Pleasure of My Company on my PRS-600.Help please?
keyblademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
page error

Hi,

You may want to read the following thread here on Mobileread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62558

Most page errors from epubs that work well on the PC but not on Sony come from the fact that the epub was not created following best practices guidelines.

Mony mobile devices (Sony included) have space limitations for unpacking the html document that is the book content inside the epub file. According to Adobe, best practice is to limit the size of any one html file to be less than 300k bytes uncompressed and 100k bytes compressed.

If the book you have does not have DRM, you can simply run unzip to look at what is in the epub. Looke for .html files that are too large. That is the issue.

If there is no DRM, you can use Sigil to read in that epub and add a chapter break or 2 (or many) to split the html file into many smaller html files (typically one or even more for each chapter). Then use Sigil to recreate the epub and it should view fine on the Sony reader.

If it has DRM, then you should return the book explaining about the issue or use one of the scripts out there to remove the DRM and fix the book yourself.

Lots of people make epubs with one big html file in it which makes the device either give an error or makes it so very very slow to open when it does try to read the file.

Following best practices for epubs, is the right answer.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have DRM PDF on your Reader? Seems having both (with DRM) PDF and ePub on the Reader at the same time can cause a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote