Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #166
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm 15 full days in, 29.75 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 51%...

51% for the last five hours of reading... Either there are major plateaus, possible if they're just reading battery voltage because lithium is pretty flat through most of the discharge curve, or the Kobo only updates the battery percentage at odd intervals rather than calculating it each time the percentage is displayed by touching the middle of the screen while reading. At any rate, I'm not complaining at nearly 30 hours with the lighting on even at the lowest setting.

If this puppy makes anywhere near 60 hours at 30 days I'll be very impressed. I should also state that I'm not activating the WiFi. I'm reading a very large side loaded book of around 4400 pages as the reader sees it, and have mostly side loaded content on the reader with only a few exceptions.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #167
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Nice numbers! And again, thanks for keeping track.

Just to recap, you're putting the Glo to sleep in between reading right? Not shutting down...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #168
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm 16 full days in since charging, 32.25 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 50%.

Nothing but sleep mode since I last charged it -though I did connect it to the PC for about a minute and a half transferring a file from Calibre.(Theoretically, that would allow for less than 12.5ma of charging, or an error of less than 1.25% since current was also being consumed while transferring files, all assuming a 1000maH battery as has been reported.)

From the first time or two I'd charged the reader prior to this trial, I thought it was doing pretty well, but I was connecting to the pc to transfer books from calibre and I wasn't really keeping track of exact hours, and tended to recharge before 30% or so.

This run without charging has impressed me to no end so far, especially with the LED lighting active, albeit all the way down. My only regret is that I failed to keep track of pages read as well as time as users read at different paces.

This all looks great so far, but there is no guarantee the other side of the hill from 50% down will be as smooth, or that it will be as linear. We'll see.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-11-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #169
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm 16 full days in since charging, 32.25 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and now at 50%.

Nothing but sleep mode since I last charged it -though I did connect it to the PC for about a minute and a half transferring a file from Calibre.(Theoretically, that would allow for less than 12.5ma of charging, or an error of less than 1.25% since current was also being consumed while transferring files, all assuming a 1000maH battery as has been reported.)

From the first time or two I'd charged the reader prior to this trial, I thought it was doing pretty well, but I was connecting to the pc to transfer books from calibre and I wasn't really keeping track of exact hours, and tended to recharge before 30% or so.
All that is very good and roughly agrees with my Glo. We might want to make sure Mrs_Often and VelvetElvis don't visit and "borrow" them
Quote:
This run without charging has impressed me to no end so far, especially with the LED lighting active, albeit all the way down. My only regret is that I failed to keep track of pages read as well as time as users read at different paces.
If you really want to know, the number of page turns are stored in the database for each book. It doesn't store the sessions, only the total time. Plus maybe the end of the last session and start of the current one. I'd have to recheck the latter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #170
TechniSol

Thanks davidfor. Unfortunately, I think I was already partway through the book when I started this battery life test... so imagine that won't help. I'm not trying to establish a definitive test or anything, just wondered what could be expected as others were having difficulty.

If I was going to go definitive(well, for my usage pattern), I'd probably hang an R/C servo with a rubber tip attached off an AVR microcontroller and let it go to town with sixty to a hundred page turns an hour or so, for a couple of hours a day with 5 minutes to go into sleep mode and see what happened. It'd require me to start it up once a day, but that wouldn't be bad. Frankly, as well as this battery test is going and how much I like reading with the Glo lighting I doubt I'd ever bother.

Rating life based on page turns alone isn't exactly kosher when the lighting is on, so I think my test is more valid, at least for my usage. Obviously, readers of differing speeds would get different results, probably mostly based on how long the lighting is active, and of course page turns.

Oh, I forgot, I'm not really worried about them coming for my Kobo Glo as it's safely ensconced in the heavily defended abandoned missile silo in an undisclosed location that I simply call home. Bet you all thought my avatar was just a bit of whimsy up 'til now!

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-11-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #171
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All that is very good and roughly agrees with my Glo. We might want to make sure Mrs_Often and VelvetElvis don't visit and "borrow" them
Damn! You see right through me!

Edit: actually, I wonder if cloning your and Tech's Glo's internal µSD cards onto VelvetElves' and mine* would change anything?

*Changing the serial number in the image first of course.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-11-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #172
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I forgot, I'm not really worried about them coming for my Kobo Glo as it's safely ensconced in the heavily defended abandoned missile silo in an undisclosed location that I simply call home. Bet you all thought my avatar was just a bit of whimsy up 'til now!
I would ask you to prove it, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Damn! You see right through me!

Quote:
Edit: actually, I wonder if cloning your and Tech's Glo's internal µSD cards onto VelvetElves' and mine* would change anything?
I messed up a firmware change a little while ago and had to get an image from someone here to get my Glo working. I can of course supply that image. But the battery usage was similar before that as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #173
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I messed up a firmware change a little while ago and had to get an image from someone here to get my Glo working. I can of course supply that image. But the battery usage was similar before that as well.
Ah yes I remember that. It was when you were testing something for us

Yes please! I won't have time to try until at the earliest next weekend, but yes please all the same
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #174
TechniSol

Quote:
I would ask you to prove it, but ...
I'm hurt. Truly, truly wounded. I mean you've seen the avatar.

P.S. The last place under the fake lake in the volcano was just too much upkeep. Don't even get me started on the price of Pirhana Chow. On top of that, all the really sadistic underlings are impossible to hire these days, they're all employed by the IRS.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-11-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #175
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
There is a clear and obvious reason that some of the Glos have excellent battery characteristics and others have, well, not so excellent battery characteristics.

Kobo has perfected quantum entanglement. TechniSol's battery life is so good because Mrs_Often's Glo is powering it, with the energy being transported through a quantum tunnel.

This would also explain the multiple shelves problem. In quantum computing, we observe that the quantum bits go through all of the possible states before determining the correct one. While Kobo may have perfected the energy entanglement part of the quantum feature list, they clearly have a ways to go on the quantum computing feature.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #176
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
There is a clear and obvious reason that some of the Glos have excellent battery characteristics and others have, well, not so excellent battery characteristics.

Kobo has perfected quantum entanglement. TechniSol's battery life is so good because Mrs_Often's Glo is powering it, with the energy being transported through a quantum tunnel.
Bahahahahaa
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #177
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Which brings us to Schrodinger's Kobo.

If you put a Kobo in a box, with an internet connection, does the Kobo get its firmware updated?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the Kobo simultaneously has both the new and old versions of the firmware on it.

Or, as Schrodinger postulated, the whole scenario was ridiculous, because it would be quite clear that no firmware update would take place at all.

Last edited by murg; 03-11-2013 at 08:25 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #178
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm hurt. Truly, truly wounded. I mean you've seen the avatar.
Why do you think I don't want it proved
Quote:
P.S. The last place under the fake lake in the volcano was just too much upkeep. Don't even get me started on the price of Pirhana Chow. On top of that, all the really sadistic underlings are impossible to hire these days, they're all employed by the IRS.
Hiring good help is just so hard.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #179
TechniSol

Quantum Entanglement! And I thought I was reaching with the bond villain shtick...

OTOH, Kobo's spurious syncing of sporadic supercilious shelves could suggest an early Quantum Entanglement Cloning or Transporter experiment gone awry. I think Murg is onto something, or at least on something....

To think we've been testing the wireless transmission of power and we all thought we were just beta-customering ereaders. No wonder they make the same battery claim with or without the Glo light turned on! Tesla would be proud, but prouder still if it was AC...

Shroedinger's Kobo: Put a Kobo Glo reader with the magnetic case closure sleep option activated in a suitable case. Close the case. Without opening the case attempt to observe whether or not the Kobo Glo is in sleep mode.

I'm 17 full days in since charging, 32.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and still at 50%.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #180
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Shroedinger's Kobo: Put a Kobo Glo reader with the magnetic case closure sleep option activated in a suitable case. Close the case. Without opening the case attempt to observe whether or not the Kobo Glo is in sleep mode.
Funniest thing I've read all week!

That said, I've left mine on a page of a side loaded ePub in sleep mode since I last posted here. It's only gone down a little bit. Doesn't seem to be different than when sleep mode is on the carousel page so far.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote