Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #226
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolling123 View Post
Great ! Sell me yours for $300 then
I believe because Ectaco is just starting up, these devices always start expensive.
If you look,street prices for this device would be in the acceptable range when the device would be priced $399. The additional $100 covers startup costs,which is only normal.
Ectaco does not seem to gain lots of profit from their translation devices, but a step in the ebook reader market seems to have gained them a lot more money!

They probably make very little profit from their russian contract, possibly even sell them at a loss, so they charge us (the early adopters) a bit of a premium price in the beginning.
I'm sure the Jetbook Color will drop in price 6-12 months from now.
They could be sold for $299 at the end of their cycle,but when that will be will be entirely dependent upon the market,and market demand.

If they remain the only ones selling color ebook readers, they might choose to keep their prices high.
I expect there to be a contender in a good 6months, to a year though.
Companies like Amazon (Kindle), B&N (Nook), and the companies creating those large sized readers, they probably will not sit still neither!

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #227
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
From what you are saying who is paying 500$ now is paying Ectaco's costs to develop the device. This is a good business strategy but not very honest client approach.
From my point of view buying at this time means just betting on the future nothing else. The 500$ is not competitive at all it stretches the limits of most of the buyers and my perception right now is that the eInk buyers need a bigger screen not necessarily a color one. Who bothers with colors will go for a tablet most probably which at this point is a mature technology with decreasing prices for the same performance.

This is an interesting question, I would like to hear some opinions in this sense: why do you need eInk color for reading comics or looking at pictures?

To answer the question of color eInk for myself I need to say that I need eInk for reading. Reading means blocks of text ..that does not apply for pictures or comics (by my knowledge). This sends me straing to a B&W ereader. There is one category of readers who do need color eink by my understanding and that is people who read medical text books or people who need to see clean and clear pictures in text blocks ...but I believe that that category of readers is better using tablets where the picture quality is much better and zooming a lot easier and better.
What do you think?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #228
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... it seems to me that for most novels color isn't really needed -and- size isn't
either. A 5" or 6" pocketable B&W display is preferable for that kind of reading.

For the kind of material that color is useful for, a larger display is also important.
Comics, Manuals, Presentations, product brochures, textbooks, magazines, ect...

The eInk idea has its place as an outdoor/strong lighting readable device, and for its
lower power consumption. The larger an eInk device becomes the more it needs to
be able to display some color. This is to enable the device to meet the needs of the
type of reading that requires the larger format, even at the cost of portability.

Dedicated ereaders need not try and compete with multimedia display devices, they
need not play movies or surf the net. A large format color outdoor readable device
is needed for a number of activities: industrial, recreational, educational, and commercial.
In most of those environments too many power hungry multimedia features do more to
create a distraction than they add to the utility of the device. Without a need for those
features a slower display like the eInk remains very practical.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #229
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmike View Post
9) PDF files with hyperlinks do not hyperlink as with the Sony.
it works in some PDFs I've got (and epubs too) although it's quite painful to use. You drag the stylus across all or part of the link to highlight it and a small context menu pops up (it just says "Menu"). Click that with the stylus and a longer menu pops up; finally select "Go to link" and it should work.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #230
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... it seems to me that for most novels color isn't really needed -and- size isn't
either. A 5" or 6" pocketable B&W display is preferable for that kind of reading.

For the kind of material that color is useful for, a larger display is also important.

The eInk idea has its place as an outdoor/strong lighting readable device, and for its
be able to display some color. This is to enable the device to meet the needs of the
type of reading that requires the larger format, even at the cost of portability.

Dedicated ereaders need not try and compete with multimedia display devices, they
need not play movies or surf the net. A large format color outdoor readable device
is needed for a number of activities: industrial, recreational, educational, and commercial.
In most of those environments too many power hungry multimedia features do more to
create a distraction than they add to the utility of the device. Without a need for those

Luck;
Ken
The industrial applications and business use are a different story.
A business can afford to pay 500$ for an ereader, that is nothing to them
Let's keep the things in their context and that is regular user, consumer level, retail, ereaders user for learning and leisure reading.
My question is what are the factors that would make a color eink reader a must!

You started with
"comics, Manuals, Presentations, product brochures, textbooks, magazines, ect...
The eInk idea has its place as an outdoor/strong lighting readable device, and for its lower power consumption"

I will address them in reverse order:
-lower consumption- it is lower for B&W ereaders -this is not a reason to get a color ereder
-strong lighting and outdoor-OK compared with tables color eink ereders are an advantage
-comics-you can easily read them on a 300$ tablet. The same goes for everything else if you do not read "text" This is where your eyes get hurt.

Form what you mentioned I would keep just "reading outdoor" -there yes you need one although the not sure how strong the colors are compared with table colors in sun light let's say

-
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #231
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I believe because Ectaco is just starting up, these devices always start expensive.
If you look,street prices for this device would be in the acceptable range when the device would be priced $399. The additional $100 covers startup costs,which is only normal.
Ectaco does not seem to gain lots of profit from their translation devices, but a step in the ebook reader market seems to have gained them a lot more money!

They probably make very little profit from their russian contract, possibly even sell them at a loss, so they charge us (the early adopters) a bit of a premium price in the beginning.
I'm sure the Jetbook Color will drop in price 6-12 months from now.
They could be sold for $299 at the end of their cycle,but when that will be will be entirely dependent upon the market,and market demand.

If they remain the only ones selling color ebook readers, they might choose to keep their prices high.
I expect there to be a contender in a good 6months, to a year though.
Companies like Amazon (Kindle), B&N (Nook), and the companies creating those large sized readers, they probably will not sit still neither!
Yeah, I agree, anything can happen - and who knows what?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #232
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
The industrial applications and business use are a different story.
A business can afford to pay 500$ for an ereader, that is nothing to them
-
Perhaps when procuring toys for the executives in the home office, but not
so when providing tools to a workforce, especially a large one. Not so for
the field reader of a heating & airconditioning or plumbing or electrical company.

Quote:
Let's keep the things in their context and that is regular user, consumer level, retail, ereaders user for learning and leisure reading.
-
I was taking a wider view of the potential for these devices and expressing
my thoughts on the factors involved. I think that my estimation of the size
and color relationship is reasonably accurate. Do you have a different opinion?
That relationship would apply to all users.

Quote:
My question is what are the factors that would make a color eink reader a must!
-
I thought that my reply touched on that.

Quote:
You started with
"comics, Manuals, Presentations, product brochures, textbooks, magazines, ect...
The eInk idea has its place as an outdoor/strong lighting readable device, and for its lower power consumption"

I will address them in reverse order:
-lower consumption- it is lower for B&W ereaders -this is not a reason to get a color ereder
-
As I understand it there is no appreciable difference in the power consumption of the eInk displays, B&W vs. Color. There would be a difference with regard to the size of the
displays, I would expect. In any case it is still much better, in that regard, than an LCD
display.

Quote:
-strong lighting and outdoor-OK compared with tables color eink ereders are an advantage
-comics-you can easily read them on a 300$ tablet. The same goes for everything else if you do not read "text" This is where your eyes get hurt.
-
True, you can do more (indoors) with a tablet and even more with a slate PC,
and much, much more with a regular PC.

Quote:
Form what you mentioned I would keep just "reading outdoor" -there yes you need one although the not sure how strong the colors are compared with table colors in sun light let's say
-
The amount of color saturation needed would depend on the use of color for
the application and activity. For instance comparing/reading color coding, or
identifying a change in condition that can be discerned by color, even perhaps
whether the mushroom is edible or not, ect... Not that much would be required
to say identify the functions of different parts of a diagram.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #233
PF4Mobile
Guru

So the conclusion is that if you do not need specific color information there is no point in spending 500$ for a device when you can get a 400$ one :-). The simple reading is not any better than the one on B&W and as at this point JBC is not offering much a regular user might want to wait instead become a beta tester on his own money.
My conclusion in this thread is that unless some spectacular improvement is done with the releases due in the next two months it is premature to buy this device just for the sake of color.... that is my point.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #234
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjayes View Post
I received my Jetbook colour today (ordered on 3rd night).
Overall I am optimistic like LuBib.
Cheers
Enjayes
Congrats on getting one and joining the Color Club (i am trademarking this as of now LOL).

I've been on vacation so my posts have dwindled a bit but in regards to the issues you've listed, and the optimism we both share, since there's a BIG RED STICKER on the box to watch out for the updates on March and April 1st, that has to mean that by April the unit is going to be mindblowing (or mind-bottling, whatever your forte).

As soon as my update comes in, prepare for another lengthy post
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #235
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmike View Post
I have a Jetbook Color and also a Daily Edition PRS-950 so far, .
Good points mexmike. I try to avoid redundancy but the big red sticker means business in my book
Old 02-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #236
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
but I believe that that category of readers is better using tablets where the picture quality is much better and zooming a lot easier and better.
What do you think?
Whao, whao, whao....i agree that the backlit devices make it seem like the picture quality is better (since it lights up like a Light Bright) but there is absolutely no way backlit screens can be good for your eyes!

I know this because my friend worked in California and now in Arizona studying positive and negative effects on the eye. I spoke with her about the jetBook Color and she said - "As long is it doesn't have a backlight you're all good - if it does, say goodbye to your eyesight."

Has anyone experienced this??

Personally i DESPISE backlit screens bc i feel blind when i look up from them so i'm sure reading fro prolong periods of time has to cause some sort of damage
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #237
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
i agree...as usual...with Ken
Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #238
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
So the conclusion is that if you do not need specific color information there is no point in spending 500$ for a device when you can get a 400$ one :-). The simple reading is not any better than the one on B&W and as at this point JBC is not offering much a regular user might want to wait instead become a beta tester on his own money.
My conclusion in this thread is that unless some spectacular improvement is done with the releases due in the next two months it is premature to buy this device just for the sake of color.... that is my point.
PF4Mobile, we have a little bet going, and whoever takes it is a new owner of a jetBook Color.....since my optimism will SURELY prevail, i would like to donate my prize - the jetBook Color - to you, so we can finally be on the same page....no pun intended
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #239
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
From what you are saying who is paying 500$ now is paying Ectaco's costs to develop the device. This is a good business strategy but not very honest client approach.
That is standard business for any product,
Intel, Samsung; making of cpu's and LCD screens, as well as cars and other manufacturing, they charge extra to get production ramped up.
As production goes on, they find ways to run more economical, and parts decrease in price, so the device can be sold cheaper.
It has hardly anything to do with business schemes, it's what nearly every company does to get a business started (save perhaps for sony and Nintendo, who make a loss on their product, only to make marginal profits at the end of it's life cycle.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #240
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
PF4Mobile, we have a little bet going, and whoever takes it is a new owner of a jetBook Color.....since my optimism will SURELY prevail, i would like to donate my prize - the jetBook Color - to you, so we can finally be on the same page....no pun intended
Yeap send me a JBC.
I already ordered an M92.

I will compare them and I will list here the things that I don't like and the things that are better on M92. If those things are going to be fixed by the April release of the software I will keep the device and pay what the cost of JBC in store at that moment.

How is that?

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review