Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
lullaby88
lullaby88 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 & Kindle for PC
i just bought a black-listed kindle

Hey guys!

So few day's ago after 3weeks of use. I've decided to register my kindle (a 2nd hand kindle) to my Amazon account.

I was surprise when amazon told me that there was a problem with the registration.

So i contact my seller, and she confess me that she find it on the trai/or subway, use it during 2month and get bored of it so she decided to sell it.

And bam, i bought it.

The thing is, i can't regiter but i use the tricks to fake the registering with jailbreak to use the collection.

My question is, if i use internet on wifi (i already used it before i knew it was blacklisted), did Amazon can find me? block entirely the kindle?

And since i tried to register with my amazon account, will they close it if they think i'm a thief?

(sorry for my bad english)
lullaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yeah, no... we're not going to help you scam Amazon
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
lullaby88

scam amazon?

did i say that?

I got scammed too!

Just want to know if i can use it safely
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Do the right thing, tell amazon you've been scammed into buying a stolen kindle and would like them to put the original owner in contact with you so you can return it.

Then contact the seller, tell them you'd like to know when/where they found it as you're passing the device onto the police to allow it to be returned to the original owner, then mention you'd also like your money back
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Do the right thing, tell amazon you've been scammed into buying a stolen kindle and would like them to put the original owner in contact with you so you can return it.

Then contact the seller, tell them you'd like to know when/where they found it as you're passing the device onto the police to allow it to be returned to the original owner, then mention you'd also like your money back
Yes. That would be the right thing to do, I agree. Unfortunately, even if you buy stolen property as a completely innocent party, legally it's not yours to keep (in the UK, anyway).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
lullaby88

and i won't have my money back.

if i get some problem i've the name/ adresse /phone number/ personal email and working email adress of the seller. and the mony transaction is visible on my bank acocunt.

and even all as her sms.

Don't want to spend money to get it back to the first owner even if it's the right thing.
don't have money to offer me an other kindle.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is of course your decision. What I would personally do is:

1. Contact Amazon, explain the situation, and return the Kindle to them to pass on to the original owner.

2. Request your money back from the seller.

3. If she refuses, take legal action. In the UK, this case be done cheaply and quickly through the small claims court. I imagine you have something similar in your country.

It's inconvenient, yes, but sometimes you have to do what's right, regardless of inconvenience. This is not your Kindle to keep - it belongs to its original owner.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
To the OP you are in possession of stolen goods.

Something to be aware of.

Your Best course of action is to return it to it's rightful owner
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
VoxT3R
VoxT3R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 US version
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is of course your decision. What I would personally do is:

1. Contact Amazon, explain the situation, and return the Kindle to them to pass on to the original owner.

2. Request your money back from the seller.

3. If she refuses, take legal action. In the UK, this case be done cheaply and quickly through the small claims court. I imagine you have something similar in your country.

It's inconvenient, yes, but sometimes you have to do what's right, regardless of inconvenience. This is not your Kindle to keep - it belongs to its original owner.
Agreed. The kindle by rights belongs to someone else. The person that found it didn't have the decency to do the right thing, but you can!

Given the circumstances, you will be entitled to get your money back. If you bought it via ebay and paypal, getting your money back should be easy after the situation is explained.

Just remember, if you lost your kindle - would you feel it ok for someone else to keep it after buying it from someone who found it? Or would you want it back again? The answer should point you in the direction of what to do!!

Good Luck.
VoxT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you bought it with a credit card or PayPal account, then notify the CC company or PayPal. If you bought it through eBay then notify them.

You never know, but Amazon might send you a box and pay the shipping to return it.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
why does amazon blacklist them in the first place, if I was to say find a kindle on the side of the road while I was out on a walk could I use it to buy ebooks on that persons account ?
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. That would be the right thing to do, I agree. Unfortunately, even if you buy stolen property as a completely innocent party, legally it's not yours to keep (in the UK, anyway).
If the kindle was really "found" in a Taxi.. does that really make it stolen?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
VoxT3R
VoxT3R began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 US version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
why does amazon blacklist them in the first place, if I was to say find a kindle on the side of the road while I was out on a walk could I use it to buy ebooks on that persons account ?
Well the person that has lost it would naturally notify amazon so the finder cannot run up a bill on the owners account!
VoxT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxT3R View Post
Well the person that has lost it would naturally notify amazon so the finder cannot run up a bill on their behalf!
All you have to do if you loose your kindle is deregister it. Reporting a "lost" kindle as stolen seems just wrong to me. Although I guess some don't think others should benefit from their misfortune.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If the kindle was really "found" in a Taxi.. does that really make it stolen?

BOb
In the UK at least, if you don't turn in "lost property" that you find, you can be convicted of theft. I don't know if that's the same elsewhere. But really this is, for me at least, simply a matter of doing the right thing. If I'd lost my Kindle, I'd want it back.