Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #271
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@oiodj: IIRC, nothing related to localization has been touched by the 3.4.1 update, so there's probably nothing to be updated on that front.

As for you installation issue, make sure you've got the right update*.bin file for your Kindle model, there are a few, especially for a 3G one.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #272
oiodj
oiodj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@oiodj: IIRC, nothing related to localization has been touched by the 3.4.1 update, so there's probably nothing to be updated on that front.

As for you installation issue, make sure you've got the right update*.bin file for your Kindle model, there are a few, especially for a 3G one.
As you can see on attached screenshot, I made all correctly. I want to add, that not all hacks for 3.4 were successfully installed. So, some hacks need to be updated. For example, physical keyboard hack - I have already written to author about problem.
I guess, that amazon could change something in browser attention messages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	?????? ?????? 2015-01-29 ? 21.34.49.png
Views:	529
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	134313  

Last edited by oiodj; 01-29-2015 at 04:12 PM.
oiodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #273
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You really, really, should not post your device's serial number in public.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 AM   #274
oiodj

Restarted my kindle with *.bin file located in storage. Kindle tried to update and got UPDATE ERROR: 3.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #275
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiodj View Post
Restarted my kindle with *.bin file located in storage. Kindle tried to update and got UPDATE ERROR: 3.
Which is as expected.
You don't use 'restart' to trigger the update, use 'update kindle'.
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #276
oiodj

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which is as expected.
You don't use 'restart' to trigger the update, use 'update kindle'.
I can't use 'update kindle' because of inactive button.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #277
bueno
bueno began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
:help: Can't install Spanish menus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiodj View Post
I can't use 'update kindle' because of inactive button.

I'm having the same problem as oiodj. I'm trying to get Spanish menus on my mom's Kindle 3 wifi (3.4.1, US version). This is what I did:

I installed the "Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_install.bin" file in the "kindle-jailbreak-0.13.N-r11432.tar.xz" package. That went fine.

I then tried to install "update_loc_es_3.4r3_k3w_install.bin" from the "loc_es_3.4r3.zip" file on this thread. I couldn't because the "Update Your Kindle" option in the settings menu is greyed out, even though the "update_loc_es_3.4r3_k3w_install.bin" file is on the Kindle.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm missing a step?

All the best,

bueno.

Last edited by bueno; 01-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.
bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #278
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Assume it is, because you use 3.4 and the kindle is already on 3.4.1. Someone has to include the 3.4.1 signature in the *.bin.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #279
bugmen00t
Connoisseur
bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!bugmen00t rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Keyboard + Kindle Voyage WiFi + Kindle PW11 Kids
As mentioned on http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...216397#1216397, you need to unpack and repack *.bin files with Kindle Tool:

Code:
kindletool convert update_foo.bin 
kindletool create ota -d k3g update_foo_converted.tar.gz update_foo.bin
where k3g is version of your Kindle.
bugmen00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #280
latere
latere began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wifi & 3G (K3 US) D00901
Thumbs up happy luser thanking help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmen00t View Post
As mentioned on http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...216397#1216397, you need to unpack and repack *.bin files with Kindle Tool:

Code:
kindletool convert update_foo.bin 
kindletool create ota -d k3g update_foo_converted.tar.gz update_foo.bin
where k3g is version of your Kindle.
Thanks a lot bugmen00t!! Had the same problem bueno did, followed your above direcctions (blindly, I actually had no idea of what I was doing) and voila! Now my K3 speaks spanish.

Thanks again, the k3 is a present to someone who doesn't speak a word of english, and now it's a propper present for her.
latere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #281
tszombathy
tszombathy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Hi,

I would need to do a localization in Hungarian for Kindle 3 keyboard device. Reason is that we were forced by Amazon to upgrade firmware - original firmware version had already jailbreak and HU localization - otherwise no Kindle store or any other web site was accessible.
Anyway i was reading through this post and hope that you can help me with.
So can somebody describe the procedure to follow in order to have HU locale on the device? I saw that there are already localization for FW 3.4 in Russian , Spanish and Czech language.
I have downloaded the Spanish one and decompress it: update_loc_es_3.4r3_k3w_install_converted.tar.gz
Now just wonder what needs to be replaced here to have text in Hungarian? Or this is not the right way forward to have localization for FW 3.4.2?
Please advice!

Thanks and best regards,
Tibor
tszombathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #282
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have downloaded the Spanish one and decompress it: update_loc_es_3.4r3_k3w_install_converted.tar.gz
Not quite.
What you have done, from the name given, was convert the update file from the Amazon update format (also used by ourselves) into a gzip compressed, tar archive.
NOW you can use an un-archive tool to extract the files.
Looking at the files should show you what needs to be changed.

Turn the result back into an update format file by reversing the process.
I.E: Make a compressed archive, convert it back to an update format file.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #283
tszombathy

Quote:
Not quite.
What you have done, from the name given, was convert the update file from the Amazon update format (also used by ourselves) into a gzip compressed, tar archive.
NOW you can use an un-archive tool to extract the files.
Looking at the files should show you what needs to be changed.

Turn the result back into an update format file by reversing the process.
I.E: Make a compressed archive, convert it back to an update format file.
OK, thanks. Yes, indeed i got a compressed file. I obviously decompress it and have a look inside. The reason i'm asking was that didn't know if this is the right way doing localization. To simply translate what needs to be translated within given files.

So, inside the compressed file i see files and signed files. So i assume even if i'd do translation for the ones obviously containing text i'll somehow need to produce the signed version.
Further to that what to do with the 2 .jar files and with the .dat file?

Sorry for so many questions but i never did such activity.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #284
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszombathy View Post
OK, thanks. Yes, indeed i got a compressed file. I obviously decompress it and have a look inside. The reason i'm asking was that didn't know if this is the right way doing localization. To simply translate what needs to be translated within given files.

So, inside the compressed file i see files and signed files. So i assume even if i'd do translation for the ones obviously containing text i'll somehow need to produce the signed version.
Further to that what to do with the 2 .jar files and with the .dat file?

Sorry for so many questions but i never did such activity.
I do not know the answers.
Perhaps someone will come along who does know and will help you out.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #285
tszombathy

Quote:
I do not know the answers.
Perhaps someone will come along who does know and will help you out.
Hope so, because i'm quite stucked with this activity. Really would love to get some on Hungarian localization for FW 3.4.2.

Tags
localization