Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #31
langshipley
Connoisseur
langshipley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Paperwhite 2, iOS Kindle app
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can say that these publishers are no longer listed. But I do think they will be listed again under the new agency model.
What is this new agency model that you are referring to and how is it affecting the sale of eBooks on Fictionwise so that publishers are removing books?
langshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #32
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by langshipley View Post
What is this new agency model that you are referring to and how is it affecting the sale of eBooks on Fictionwise so that publishers are removing books?
The agency model is the way Apple sells iPod software. The retailer gets 30%, and the publisher sets the price.

More details here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5800

From http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/support...ncements&id=14

On April 1st 2010, two of our distributors asked all of their retailers, including Diesel eBooks, to temporarily pull titles from the following publishers:

Hachette
HarperCollins
Macmillan
Penguin
Simon & Schuster
(Please see below for a complete list of imprints.)

These publishers, now known as the Agency Five, are renegotiating eBook terms with their retailers and are working to have this issue resolved shortly. Once Diesel receives the okay, we will restore all the titles of the aforementioned publishers to the store as soon as possible.

more here: http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/03/29...like-its-9-99/

In the mean time, we, the consumers, are starved for information.

Last edited by Angst; 04-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #33
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What amazes me is that there are these teething problems at all. The model change was announced months ago. Surely with that much time to prepare, the changeover should have been swift and efficient.

This does nothing for my confidence in the publishers or distributors, to be honest (and you really don't want to hear how low my opinion of the publishers already was ).
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
What amazes me is that there are these teething problems at all. The model change was announced months ago. Surely with that much time to prepare, the changeover should have been swift and efficient.
I guess you have never worked in a big company and dealt with legal departments trying to agree on terms.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
It was began months ago, not finalized until days ago, and then as soon as the ink was dry on the contracts, the publishers started freaking out and submitting changes for individual titles. It certainly sounded like from what the guy at Kobo told me, they are keeping the retailers on their toes. I blame the publishers for this.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert