Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
How to create your own Startup/Off-Logo

Required Software:
Irfanview ( http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/iview425_setup.exe )

1) Open the picture you like to convert with IrfanView
2) Do "Image->Resize/Resample" set the values like there is no bigger than 800
** to fit the picture to the screen you should turn picture to get 600x800 resolution, turn the picture with the keys "L" and "R"
3) Do "Image->Convert to Greyscale"
4) Press "I" and change the dpi to "96x96" (important to see full 16greyscale colors on PB!)
5) Press "S" and choose "Fileformat" BMP, save it any location you like
6) Transfer the created file to "/system/logo" on your Pocketbook
7) Choose your logo at the Settings
8) Enjoy

Ulli
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Actually, you don't need a special software for that, you can resize your favorite pics with the help of any graphics editor (Photoshop, etc). Though, thanks anyway for this program
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Yes of course there is no special software needed, but i wanted to show a tutorial with a specific program. So I could create a step-by-step tutorial which will fit for everyone

You can use any program to convert your pictures. The Logos you add have to have following specifications:
* Fileformat: bmp
* Resultion: max 600x800 (for best fit-to-page use 1:3 not 800x600 which would be 3:1)
* max 8bit colordepth (2,4,8 fits)
* max 100x100 dpi

Ulli
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Irfanview is a nice piece of freeware. I've used it for the last ten years. Not fancy, but is quick and gets the job done.
Thanks for the tutorial!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Is there any reason why I keep seeing the last set logo on start-up even though I set the boot logo to current page?
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Ulli
(-:

I guess its because the startup logo doesnt make any sense to setup to last page because he will boot anyway and reload. Perhaps this funtions removal has been forgotten.

Does it work as log-off setting?
Does more sense to me, because you can set up to load last page at startup anyway.

// Edit:
This "bug" should only apper, if the last file was a pdf.

Last edited by Ulli; 01-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie View Post
Is there any reason why I keep seeing the last set logo on start-up even though I set the boot logo to current page?
It's probably the same issue I had with the previous firmware version (101.14.1). I had to set the boot logo I wanted twice before the device would actually show the logo I wanted. So I would have to go to settings, appearance, etc. and set it, then exit the settings menu. And then do the same thing again.
Hope it helps.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
I don't know exactly what I did, but it is functioning fine again (a little erratic behavior from the PB 360), ie no more boot logo on startup. Using FW 14.2. I also set to no boot logo on shut down.
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Ulli
(-:

First try to reset all logos to none and restart (Power off/on) the Pocketbook.
If this does not solve the problem, try to set it to a default logo (e.g. Bookland) and reboot the Pocketbook.

If this both doesnt fit the problem, push the reset button (On the back of your pocketbook beside the battery) for a short time, i dunno why this is fixing such probs but at me it did work.

If this all doesnt fit the problem, you should do a hard reset.

Ulli
Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
As to the Irfanview tutorial specifically: I'd add that you might as well "decrease color depth" as well (or do that together with grayscaling). By decreasing it to 16 colors, I reduced the file size from over 1 Mb to less than 250 kb. With no damage to the picture quality (for these purposes) that I could see.

I like to put a lot of different logos in there and let the software choose one at random for closing off and starting up. Would there be a firmware limit tot the amount of files you should put in there?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Ulli
(-:

My experience is, that if you have more than 90 logos, you cant choose the ones over 90 by hand, but if you choose a random logo at startup, every logo will be shown.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
One trick.
If you have, for example, 3 custom logos and you select random, then one of four logos you will see will be a Bookland logo. I have nothing against Bookland, I even like their logo ;-) , but I do not want them their logo instead of one of my converted Escher graphics.

The remedy is simple. Name one of your logos bookland.bmp

By the way, I have used gimp to scale and/or crop the images to 800x600 or 600x800 size and then I have used Linux commandline binary 'convert' from imagemagick package.
I have cropped and/or scaled pictures manually, because the raw pictures were very different and each of them required different manipulation.

This is an example of how to use the convert binary to produce working bmp file.
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp

the -rotate "-90>" is an interesting option, because it rotates the picture only if the width is greater than height.
There is also windows binary of imagemagick available. Imagemagick is the most powerful conversion software for bitmaps you can get. Just have a peek at the options http://www.imagemagick.org/script/convert.php

By the way, Ulli, bmp format does not store the resolution info, so you can set any resolution you want, as long as the picture is 600x800pixels. 600x800 pixels is the screen size.

Last edited by kacir; 03-06-2010 at 03:39 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You can take any image from 600x800, or rotate an image of 800x600 (as it is a usual size for wallpapers, that can be even better). And you don't need to have Photoshop or the like. You take the image, open it with paint, save it as "BMP, 256 colors) and you're set.

Lazy as I am, I've just googled some 600x800 images on Google (you can set an exact size for your pics in "advanced search"), edited them the way I said and that was it. I doubt to put them 'ere, as it's hard for me to credit them correctly.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #14
dud
dud began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
One trick.

convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp

the -rotate "-90>" is an interesting option, because it rotates the picture only if the width is greater than height.
Great hint!
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
This detail is buried in kacir's post above but I glossed over it repeatedly. After messing around with images in gimp for the last couple of months trying to make my own boot logos, I finally got the missing piece figured out: you need to use color-indexed bmp files.

In image magick, do 'convert FILENAME.bmp -colors 256 FILENAME.bmp' for each image using RGB space. In gimp, goto Image > Mode > Indexed (256) to do the same thing. I haven't tried 4 or 16 color indexes, as the working files I was looking at for comparison use 256 colors in their indexes. Also, I haven't tried saving from gimp to 16bit bmp.

I've been working with photos scanned from magazines as my source. This workflow I've developed allows me to keep the contrast of the image, retaining contrast and highlights, without losing as much detail as I would if I did a commandline conversion.
1) Crop original image to center the subject
2) Image > Scale [600x800 / 96x96 resolution, you may need to play with (un)locking x and y operations. Also, you can use the Scale tool to scale the selection in a single direction]
3) select the part of the newly scaled image I want to use via Path tool
4) copy selection to a new transparent layer
5) Image > Mode > Grayscale
6) Colors > levels [adjust so the black is just inside the left tail of the histogram, white is just inside the right tail of the histogram, and adjust grey to the middle of the "hump" in the histogram]. This requires some eyeballing and aesthetic jugement.
7) Create a new layer underneath the selection, either white or black depending on the dominant color of the selection
8) Merge selection and solid layer you just created
9) Colors > posterize [4]
10) Colors > levels [fine tune the pointers to bring back any details you may have lost]
11) Image > Mode > Indexed [256]
12) Save As > FILENAME.bmp [24bit]
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote