Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Going backward to 500?

My 16 y/o sister-in-law who lives with us wants a Reader of her own. She 'borrowed' my wife's Reader for over a week before my wife demanded it back. She just asked to borrow it again and was told no.

We had planned on getting her one for Hanukkah this year but I don't know if we can justify the $300 for a new PRS-505. I was looking on eBay at the auctions for the PRS-500s which are a good bit cheaper (but not a lot). I was wondering if it would be a big difference for her to get used to from using a 505 to using a 500.

BTW, I do want stick with Sony since I have all of our books on my copy of Calibre.

Advice? Anybody want to part with a working 500 for cheap? LOL
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Get the 505. The new firmware doesn't run on the 500. And, although Sony just introduced the 700, they are continuing to sell the 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I have the 500. It works great. Not as many bells or whistles but since I'm not driving a streetcar (Only doing one thing, reading...) It fulfills its purpose perfectly....
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
We had planned on getting her one for Hanukkah this year but I don't know if we can justify the $300 for a new PRS-505.
Put a wanted to buy message up here in the flea market. There have been several people selling their 505's lately because they are going to get the 700. You might be able to pick up one for $200 or less.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
IMO, it really depends on how much time your sister-in-law spent on the 505. I have both a 500 and a 505. Every now and again, I forget to charge the 505 and tried to use the 500 to read with and I find the lower contrast just so frustrating after the brighter 505. But I didn't think it was so awful until after I'd used the 505.

Also, since I hoard books and have more than 600 on my SD card, I strongly prefer the somewhat improved Contents listing on the 505. That wouldn't be as big a problem to get used to, though, if I had to go backwards. I don't like either one all that much, so it's just a case of being less annoyed.

The new firmware on the 505 is nice for reading ePub, if you're willing to put up with Adobe's DRM scheme. Since I don't like Adobe's Privacy policy, I choose not to use it. And I haven't experimented much with making non-DRM'd ePubs yet, to know whether I'd prefer them to LRFs. So far, the benefits of the ePub seem to be tied to the ability to write HTML/XML code. And the last time I coded HTML seriously, it was version 3.2. I'm more than a bit out of date and haven't been willing to take the time to learn the newer techniques.

So, I guess my point would be - if your SIL didn't get too used to the 505, she'd probably be fine with a 500.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 10-19-2008 at 06:17 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main difference between the 500 and the 505 is the screen. The 500's "first generation" eInk screen doesn't have nearly as much contrast as the 505's 2nd gen "VizPlex" screen, and is more suseptible to "ghosting". I think that anyone who's used the 505 would be very disappointed by the screen quality of the 500.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
After I bought my 505, initially I wanted to keep the 500 I had.

When I saw the contrast levels of the 505 compared to the 500, I changed my mind and sold the PRS-500. The PRS-505 has MUCH BETTER contrast than the 500.

Get a used 505 if you can.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll go with the suggestions of getting a 505.

The contrast difference between the two generations of screens is huge, and once you've used the new one, the old one is no where as enjoyable.

You've mentioned that she borrowed it for a week, so she's probably gotten quiet used to the better screen, so 500 would really look dull.

Also, the 505 has the new firmware, and will keep on being updated by Sony, unlike the 500 so it may be worth it spending a little bit more now for a longer product lifespan.

Keep an eye out for deals, as the 505 has gone on sale a few times for as low as $220 so you may not have to spend as much as you think, especially with the Holiday season just around the corner.

Eg. Dell's already got it for $260, so shop around

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 10-20-2008 at 05:48 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main difference between the 500 and the 505 is the screen. The 500's "first generation" eInk screen doesn't have nearly as much contrast as the 505's 2nd gen "VizPlex" screen, and is more suseptible to "ghosting". I think that anyone who's used the 505 would be very disappointed by the screen quality of the 500.
I am second to every word Harry_T said.

My approach: $200 or $300 is a lot of money. It is not 10 or 20 $. So here is a question: What is better to spend $200 and realise that you have got rubbish or pay $300 and be happy with it?

Considering your relative has had experience with a new reader's screen - 505, please, don't torment her with 500 and go for 505. She will notice the difference immediately. The difference - IMHO - is HUGE. 505 has zero ghosting and has much better contrast. I used 500 for 1 year without any problems but after I bought 505 I realised the difference.
I have both 500 and 505 at home. My wife is reading books on 500 once in a blue moon. I would not want to go back to 500. Another pro for 505 is it is a lot better with artificial light. In our office at home, we don't have very strong lights and I could not read on 500, although I can read on 505.

Good luck and choose a nice gift for your sister-in-law on Hanukkah She is going to remember it for quite a while
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Although the 500 (with lower contrast) is entirely serviceable, one other reason in favor of the 505, which allows ePub for borrowing electronic library books. I don't have any issues with Adobe's privacy policies, because their sw allows me to borrow current books free!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Good luck and choose a nice gift for your sister-in-law on Hanukkah She is going to remember it for quite a while
And do not forget to include a couple of sufganiots(1)

(1) sufganiya - is a sort of a doughout that jews eat on Hanukkah (I have no idea whether I spelled it correctly in English)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
I'll vote for a huge difference. When I bought my 500 I thought the screen was amazing. I gave my wife my 500 when I bought my 505 (one of the few "reverse hand-me-downs" in our marriage). Now when I look at her 500 it looks like wet newsprint.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Thanks for all the feedback. I knew I could count on my MR peers.

Sadly, the cash I had set aside for the Reader wound up having to go to bills so I am saving yet again. Maybe by the time I find one, I will have it laying around going "Spend me!" and this time it will be on something good.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I knew I could count on my MR peers.

Sadly, the cash I had set aside for the Reader wound up having to go to bills so I am saving yet again. Maybe by the time I find one, I will have it laying around going "Spend me!" and this time it will be on something good.
I heard the US govt is giving away 700 billion... maybe you could get some of that?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
lol!
Then again, she's 16!
Is she impulsive?
(meaning you think she's serious about reading for a long part of her life? Or is she more the type that likes the gadget, and in 1-2 months will probably have it laying around?

If money counts, get a 500.
If she's still using it in a couple of months, you might think of upgrading to something better!
It does the job really well, despite not being the latest technology anymore!

I wonder if the 500 differs that much from the hanlin.

500 goes for less than 175 on ebay!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote