Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
Now one 'dumb' question. Can I create a TOC inside my ePub with Calibre? I know I can with MobiCreator, but I am hoping I can skip using that application and move directly to Calibre. Otherwise, I have to use MobiCreator for the internal, inside the ePub TOC, and then import that into Calibre to get my final product.
It depends how much effort you want to put in and how comfortable you are with Calibre's Tweak-epub feature...

You could try the following approach:

If you have an EPUB with a correct 'external' TOC but no internal TOC you can convert EPUB to MOBI with
Convert - MOBI Output - 'Do not add TOC to book' unchecked and probably Convert - StructureDetection - Detect chapter at set to / so that the existing external TOC doesn't get messed up. This will put an internal TOC at the end of the MOBI.

If you then convert the MOBI back to EPUB the internal TOC should remain. It will still be at the end of the EPUB.

If you want to move the internal TOC to the front of the new EPUB it should be as simple as using the Tweak-epub option to manually edit the EPUB content.opf file's <spine> list, in a text editor, to move the last item (the TOC) up to a more suitable position near the top.

Caveat: MOBI doesn't support some of the styling that EPUB does so an EPUB-MOBI-EPUB conversion may lose some styles in the process (e.g. dropcaps).

I should add that I don't don't do this myself as I can't be bothered with internal TOCs

Edit: Should have added that if you have a .html file with all the correct <h1>, <h2> ... etc heading tags then a ZIP to MOBI to EPUB would also work and, I guess, so would an RTF to MOBI to EPUB.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #17
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
For epubs you can use epubfixer from here it allows you to create and edit epub TOC's
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Dopedangel,

But epubfixer only edits the external TOC, doesn't it? I understood that Themus wanted to create a TOC inside the epub, i.e. the hyperlink type.

I agree that epubfixer is brilliant for editing external TOCs. I use it all the time. I'm surprised it doesn't have more users.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #19
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Thank you for you help

I appreciate everyone's feedback and help.

I was creating and editing an ePub for a web user on my own time since {over three weeks} since he had donated his work to the web community as well.

I discovered in the process that MS Word TOC transferred over as an inside ePub book table of contents very well. Links came over fine and while I had to edit some of the chapter headings to make them a bit shorter, the hyperlinks work great.

On the NookColor, the device's table of contents option only carried over the top level table of contents. While Calibre displayed in it's ePub preview screen, the entire level structure both internally and externally, the NookColor transfer lacks level two and level three.

I can live with it. I do have, however, an ePub book I purchased on-line and in the NookColor's built-in TOC option it shows multiple levels for its TOC.

A multiple level, external, NookColor TOC somehow can be done.

Again, much appreciation for everyone's assistance.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote