Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Nokia n810 or Ipod Touch?

My Sony Clie is getting quite old and is having problems, so I'll be replacing it in the next month or so and I'm undecided between an ipod Touch and a Nokia n810. Since one of my primary uses for a portable device is as an ebook reader, I'm wondering which people consider to be superior for this purpose. FBReader looks good, I love the images I've seen of the n810's large, high resolution screen, and it has a good PDF reader and can run Palm software. However, the ipod Touch also now how a growing number of programs useful for ebooks. Between Bookshelf, the fact that Stanza will soon be compatible with Windows machines (my PC runs XP) and DataCase allows PDF, doc, and rtf reading in both portrait and landscape mode, it can do almost everything that the n810 can.

Also, while I like the fact that the n810 has a better screen, I've never used linux before and I've heard that software on it can be unreliable and buggy, and I'm none to fond of the idea of that.

So, which would people here recommend. I primarily read ebooks in Plucker, html (mostly Project Gutenberg texts), and pdf formats.

So, which option do people here recommend?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by heron61 View Post
My Sony Clie is getting quite old and is having problems, so I'll be replacing it in the next month or so and I'm undecided between an ipod Touch and a Nokia n810. Since one of my primary uses for a portable device is as an ebook reader, I'm wondering which people consider to be superior for this purpose. FBReader looks good, I love the images I've seen of the n810's large, high resolution screen, and it has a good PDF reader and can run Palm software. However, the ipod Touch also now how a growing number of programs useful for ebooks. Between Bookshelf, the fact that Stanza will soon be compatible with Windows machines (my PC runs XP) and DataCase allows PDF, doc, and rtf reading in both portrait and landscape mode, it can do almost everything that the n810 can.

Also, while I like the fact that the n810 has a better screen, I've never used linux before and I've heard that software on it can be unreliable and buggy, and I'm none to fond of the idea of that.

So, which would people here recommend. I primarily read ebooks in Plucker, html (mostly Project Gutenberg texts), and pdf formats.

So, which option do people here recommend?
I've not used an iPhone/iTouch, but the combo of the N800 and FBReader is wonderful for ebooks. If I owned a N810 with outside-capable transflective screen, I might have never gotten my Sony. The Linux software is by no means "buggy and unreliable" and there's an excellent forum dedicated to tablet support: Internet Tablet Talk
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader reads Plucker and single-file HTML without conversion. I was very happy with FBReader on a Nokia 770 as an ebook reading device before switching to EInk.

For the most part, the N810 software is customized for the Nokia tablets (i.e. not just any Linux Desktop application will run on it). This reduces the choice of applications, but it does mean that there is typically a software developer actively working on the available applications.

I have never used an Ipod Touch, but it may already have more applications available than the Nokia's. This is where multi-million units sold really helps.

For me, the primary difference is the screen: 3.5" 480 x 320 for the Touch vs 4.1" 800 x 480 for the N810. On this basis, the N810 is the clear winner. However, this also means that a Touch with a high res. screen might win me over.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The things I like with my N810 is that it is a small Linux laptop and I can log in to it using ssh and I can use subversion. I also like the keyboard. The maemo mappar program is also very useful together with the GPS.

For only rading ebooks I might choose the smaller device...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
I've used both Palm T3 and Nokia 770 as ebook readers, and I'd have to say that FBReader on the 770 running OS2008HE is extremely good. I've put a few notes about how I use Plucker on these devices at http://hindesite.wordpress.com/artic...book-workflow/

My partner has an ipod Touch but I think I'd prefer my 770 for reading. Hardware buttons and a larger screen are quite important to me.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Have t say that there two compleatly different philsophys between the two devices.

iPod touch - Simple and easy to use, but limited to what apple allows on it. Any and all apps have to be gotten from the app store. All interaction is through Itunes. However, Space is not upgradable, has a smaller screen, no hardware buttons.

Nokia N800/810 - Open Linux system, so even if the app yu want to use is not currently available, ypu can always go ut and d it yourself. Out of the Box, is pretty easy to install the basic apps you want from Nokia's site. YOu can however also install from other places. However, it is still linux, so at times, if you do something a little exotic you do have to do a little bit of digging around.However, Screen is bigger, daylight readable on the n810, hardware buttons to make some functions easy to use, User upgradabe memory(so when memory prices go down, just swap out a higher capacity SD card, or carry around multiple ones) and they do have a replaceable battery, and battery's are available for reasonable prices, so you can carry around enough to get you through your journey / usage scenario.

So the choice really depends upon what youi really want. a device that works well, but is limited in its application beyond that, and closed / locked down, or a more powerfull. open system, with the attendant increase in complexitity (but not that much) but also the rise in capability available to you.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there a reason that you're not considering a dedicated "eInk" eBook reader? They really are just so much better than LCD screens for reading on - you need to see one to appreciate just how good they are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Dren
Dren began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo Glo
Hi

I've been thinking about upgrading from my Clie to a Nokia 810 too.

I really only want e-reader functionality and whilst I was extremely impressed with the Sony on display at my local bookshop, after reading the boards I have reservations about the screen.

My ereaders generally spend a great deal of time in a briefcase/rucksack/pocket and the current glass screens just don't seem built for that.

Perhaps when the plastic screens hit the market i'll make the move to e-ink

D

Last edited by Dren; 09-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Dren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you keep it in a hard case while transporting it, you'll be fine. What breaks the screen is primarily twisting force, or excessive pressure on a single point. I've used eInk devices for several years now with no problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I am also looking to upgrade from a Clie, an SJ-22 in my case. I like both the N810 and the Touch, though I will miss the one-handed operation and jog wheel I now enjoy. On the other hand, the new pricing on the Touch is rather tempting. I wonder when the next Nokia is due out to force down the price of the N810.

As for the question of e-ink, my commute just got a lot longer, but I now have WiFi for most of it. So I while I expect I will still read a lot, I also want a multi-function handheld that can do the web/email thing and waste time with the occasional game or video.

Another device to consider, depending on your needs and your time frame, is the Open Pandora project (www.openpandora.org), which is designed for gaming, but runs Linux and seems to have a lot going for it. I expect the huge battery required for 10 hours of gaming will provide for plenty of reading. I almost picked up a Zodiac a while back for the same reason, but they discontinued it just about the time I decided on it. The Pandora is not released yet, but since a new machine is not in my budget just yet, I am content to wait and see.

Good luck with your choice!
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I've already got a Sony PRS-505, but want a companion that will do wireless web surfing, including supporting Blackboard, Moodle, and other online courseware systems.

I also want a color screen, and the ability to play videos.

The Nokia 800 has MUCH more storage capacity (64GB flash on 2 SD cards,) compared to the 810, but lacks the keyboard and a few other toys. I'm thinking about the 800 over the 810.

I think there's a homebrew cable around that lets the Nokia 800/810 master USB...what about the IPOD touch 2G?

My use is for a digital library. I've got a library on USB hard disks and need a way to load the information without carrying around a laptop.

Andy Out!

Last edited by recycledelectron; 09-11-2008 at 11:56 AM.
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
The Nokia 800 has MUCH more storage capacity (64GB flash on 2 SD cards,) compared to the 810, but lacks the keyboard and a few other toys. I'm thinking about the 800 over the 810.

I think there's a homebrew cable around that lets the Nokia 800/810 master USB...what about the IPOD touch 2G?

My use is for a digital library. I've got a library on USB hard disks and need a way to load the information without carrying around a laptop.

Andy Out!
I went through a similar dilemma before getting my n800.

The factors that convinced me to get the n800 over te n810 were as follows.

1) Price.- The price of the n800 is half the price of the n810. For the extra price the main thing you get is GPS and a keyboard. Now, i don't have a car, so GPS mapping is not that important, and for when I do need it, i have a bluetooth GPS module that works with my KJam and will also work with my n800.

2) Keyboard - The Keyboad is not that importand for me, especially as I already have a smartphone I use for SMS and Mail which has a QWERTY keyboard. If I did need to type a lot on the device, or used ssh / terminal a lot, the keyboard would have been important. Also, if you only need the keyboard occasional, its still cheaper and more comfortable to get a bluetooth keyboard for those uses. Dynamism is selling the Stoaway Keyboard for around $50 right now.

3) Storage - as you mentioned the n800 has 2 SD cards to the n810 single. while the n810 does have 2Gb soldered in to makeup for the loss, I personally don't like that. I currently have 2 8GB cards on the , The Internal one loaded with Favourite Music, Comics, e-books, etc, stuff I don't need to change that regularly. The External SD is loaded with Videos, New e-books, New Music I want to try out. The two 8Gb cards cost me about £30 (as I got Micro SDHC which I can use in phone's as well) in total, so well worth it.

4) Multimedia - This is pretty much similar on both, but as I mainly wanted it for this and some web browsing, the n800 more or less meets my needs.

Its a great multimedia player with Canola, whose interface is really nice. I've especially become addicted to internet radio, catching up with my favourite radio stations from my school days.

5) PIM - unfortunately Maemo does not have any proper PIM programs, especially ones that can sync to Outlook, so that kind of affected my choice as well. If it had been able to sync to outlook, either directly or over the air, I would have definitely gone for n810, as I do live in outlook at times, and a keyboard is very useful.

6) Ebook - FBReader & Evience are great. I use Evince to read comics in cbz & cbr and use FBReader for everything else. As I tend to Strip DRM from all book I buy as soon as I download them as a matter of principle and convince, There is no problem in using FBreader.

7) USB - The n800 has standard mini USB, as opposed to the n810 special connection (think it is micro Usb but ma not sure), That means I can use any of my cables for transfers etc. without having to carry a special cable for it.

as for the home brew cable that allows you to switch the tablet to Host mode, I believe you can do that by manually running the USB OTG program, if you have the correct adaptor. The only thing the hacked cable does is for the device to switch automaticly.

Oh, and one major advantage over a lot of its competitors. Both use standard Nokia Batteries (different ones in the n800 & n810 however), so you can carry a couple of extra ones (cheap, about $10 for n800, $20 for n810) with you when you travel and swap them out in seconds when one of them runs out. you can get a desktop charger for the batteries so they are pretty easy to keep charged and topped up.

Edit -

links for the Bluetooth Keyboard

http://www.dynamism.com/stowaway_bluetooth.shtml

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 09-11-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I went through a similar dilemma before getting my n800.

The factors that convinced me to get the n800 over te n810 were as follows.

1) Price.- The price of the n800 is half the price of the n810. For the extra price the main thing you get is GPS and a keyboard.
I would say that the most important thing you get with the N810 is a smaller unit that actually fits better in pockets.

I log in remotely to a Unix machine, starts an xterm and read mail in emacs. So the keyboard is very nice for that.

Also I take notes using the keyboard and my todo lists are much better now when I have a keyboard compared to when I had a Palm T5.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would say that the most important thing you get with the N810 is a smaller unit that actually fits better in pockets.

I log in remotely to a Unix machine, starts an xterm and read mail in emacs. So the keyboard is very nice for that.

Also I take notes using the keyboard and my todo lists are much better now when I have a keyboard compared to when I had a Palm T5.
True, But as I didn't have the chance to physically compare them before ordering, the size was not that much of an issue (this coming from the guy who usually wears a ScottEvest Jacket when ever he goes out, and has pockest in his custom jeans that are nearly big enough to fit a reader in them )

And I did qualify the matter of the keyboard in my post, but was probably not that clear. The importance really depends on usage. I mainly got it as a replacement for my venerable Archos Gmini 402, as a multimedia player and a web browser which i could easily carry around and use, without having to lug my laptop everywhere.

If I were doing a lot of text entry, the keyboard would be vital.but As most of my Organisation stuff is in outlook, and I sync it with my Windows mobile Phone, I tend to use that for most data entry when on the move. Xournal about the limit of what I use on the n800. the concern I have about the n810 is the size of the keyboard. As I'm already using a squashed keyboard on my phone, i've learn to keep my entry short otherwise my fingers start hurting. For long entries, or for extended work, I prefer a closer to full size keyboard.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
For the extra price the main thing you get is GPS and a keyboard.
Another difference that interested me is the screen. I understand the screen on the N810 is easier to read in daylight. Can anyone confirm?

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote