Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #61
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
the hunger games is rather depressing... if you skip the epilogue
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #62
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
the hunger games is rather depressing... if you skip the epilogue
Somebody is in their right mind! Thank you. I did not read the book but just watching the movie I was like, "This is so depressing: citizens have to kill each other--and they're so excited about it!" It made no sense really. And then when the killing started I looked at how much time was left, and I was like I am not going to watch an hour and a half of people killing each other and shut it off.

The Hunger Games is one of those pop culture phenomenons that really makes me think the great majority of people in this world are wacked.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #63
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald

Quote:
Level 7 is the diary of Officer X-127, who is assigned to stand guard at the "Push Buttons," a machine devised to activate the atomic destruction of the enemy, in the country’s deepest bomb shelter. Four thousand feet underground, Level 7 has been built to withstand the most devastating attack and to be self-sufficient for five hundred years. Selected according to a psychological profile that assures their willingness to destroy all life on Earth, those who are sent down may never return.
*** Originally published in 1959, and with over 400,000 copies sold, this powerful dystopian novel remains a horrific vision of where the nuclear arms race may lead, and is an affirmation of human life and love. Level 7 merits comparison to Huxley’s A Brave New World and Orwell’s 1984 and should be considered a must-read by all science fiction fans.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #64
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I recently read Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. I was both pleased and saddened to see that the movie was very faithful to the book...devastating.
Which would be Last Exit to Brooklyn, wouldn't it?
I agree with you, it's not an easy book.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #65
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Which would be Last Exit to Brooklyn, wouldn't it?
I agree with you, it's not an easy book.
They are different novels. Or are you referring to something else?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #66
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Probably got enough to be getting on with now, but I thought I'd mention J.G. Ballard. Pretty much everything he wrote (perhaps with the exception of Empire of the Sun, though this has its bleak moments too) was dark and depressing.

Particularly Crash:

Quote:
When Ballard, our narrator, smashes his car into another and watches a man die in front of him, his sense of sexual possibilities in the world around him becomes detached. As he begins an affair with the dead man's wife, he finds himself drawn with increasing intensity to the mangled impacts of car crashes.
And The Drowned World:

Quote:
In this future our old world has been gradually drowned as global warming melts the ice-caps and primordial jungles and swamps have returned to tropical London, recreating the ancient ecology of the Triassic age.
And Concrete Island:

Quote:
An architect is driving home from his London offices when a blow-out sends his speeding Jaguar hurtling out of control. Smashing through a temporary barrier he finds himself, dazed and disorientated, on a traffic island below three converging motorways. But when he tries to climb the embankment or flag-down a passing car for help it proves impossible - and he finds himself marooned on the concrete island. In this twisted version of Robinson Crusoe, our hero must learn to survive - using only what he can find in his crashed car.
And lastly The Crystal World:

Quote:
Through a ‘leaking’ of time, the West African jungle starts to crystallize. Trees metamorphose into enormous jewels. Crocodiles encased in second glittering skins lurch down the river. Pythons with huge blind gemstone eyes rear in heraldic poses. Most flee the area in terror, afraid to face a catastrophe they cannot understand.
All beautifully depressing...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #67
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
They are different novels. Or are you referring to something else?
My mistake . I thought the movie Requiem for a Dream was the adaptation of Hubert Selby Jr.'s book Last exit to Brooklyn. Actually both are Hubert Selby Jr. novels and both were adapted as movies. But they're not the same.
I would bet that both are equally depressing
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #68
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The Road.
The most depressing book I ever had the misfortune to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_road

Hands down the most depressing book I have ever read. I had never read a book before were there was not even the slightest chance of hope.
It was horrific and I love scary dark. Bring on post apocalyptic, bring on the worst most horrific serial killer books.

If they wrote a sequel I would burn it rather than read it.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #69
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Very good but horribly depressing. I had to set it down and read something else a couple of times. It's also very long.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #70
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Very good but horribly depressing. I had to set it down and read something else a couple of times. It's also very long.
Well, that's Donna Tartt for you.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #71
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I've just purchased "anatomy of a night" by Anna Kim - the blurb seemed interesting and I think that one might well fall into the depressing category

"Amarâq, Eastern Greenland, the end of the world. A lonely, cold, hard place, yet one that’s filled with boundless joy and bewitching natural magic, Amarâq plays host to an annual tragedy: a spate of suicides races through the town each spring, a plague that leaves no family untouched. Anatomy of a Night details the events of one of these black nights, following the lives of eleven of Amarâq’s inhabitants—their loves and losses, their escapes from Amarâq and their inevitable returns, each victory and every defeat magnified by the unforgiving and unforgettably desolate landscape—and paints a portrait of a mysterious phenomenon that strikes a nearly-forgotten people, the Inuit of Greenland"
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #72
badgerboy
Wannabe
badgerboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, PC
I thought both the "Elric" and "Hawkmoon series by Michael Moorcock were depressing. It's not a good idea to be a hero, seriously!

badgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #73
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The ending of the last book of the Charlie McKelvey mysteries by C.B. Forrest was depressing. Given the previous books and the main character's issues, I wasn't expecting a truly happy ending, but I hadn't expected it to be quite as bad as it was.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #74
little and large
Enthusiast
little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.little and large ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
Lord Of The Barnyard is depressing in an uplifting kind of way. Great read. And When The Ass Saw The Angel sure fits the bill. Like one, you'll adore the other.
little and large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #75
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Anything by Thomas Hardy, his books are very melancholic.

"Wuthering Heights". Yes, it has romance in heaps, but what a depressing romance!

"King Lear" by Shakespeare. Grim, gory and depressing. Well, you wanted something deep as well as depressing.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catcher in the rye, crime and punishment, depressing, elliott smith, suggest