Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
jwhitt12
jwhitt12 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wireless
memory card file format

I have a kobo wireless ereader (firmware v 1.9). I have found the easiest way to deal with the memory card is to simply remove it and use a card reader. I am not sure, however, that I am using the right format for the books. What I am doing is that I have a top tier folder with the author name, then a folder under that with the name of the book and, then, under that, the actual name of the book (and any other files that are with that such as cover pictures, etc). This seems to work.

My problem is when I am reading a series. The ereader keeps track of all the books but I need to know the order in which I am supposed to read them. My temptation is to simply add a number after the name in the name folder (not the name folder itself). My question is this the right way to handle the problem?

Thank you..........
jwhitt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well if the books are not DRM'd you can use Calibre to edit the name and add numbers to it. As of now there is no way to sort book into folders.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
jwhitt12

??

I guess I don't get it. I have a book series set of book files. I have full control over these files and can change the title easily. I also have full control over specific book folders and can also control the title of individual book folder titles.

I am not sure about sorting books although they are sorted on the memory chip. I don't actually care if they are sorted on display as long as the number also appears.

The reason I am saying this is because there is no reason for calibre to even come into this one. The books I am dealing with can easily be read in my ereader and there is no drm problem All I want to know is if I will screw up anything by adding a number to the name of a book file. On second thought I suspect I should never have posted this but simply did it. If it screws up I will simply reset and re-edit.

Thank you for the reply.................
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo doesn't read the name of the book from file name or folder structure. In fact it totally discards them.

Instead, it reads the book info from metadata inside of the file. That is the reason you need to modify the book metadata using calibre and then send the book to device.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
jwhitt12

thanks

Thanks for the reply AND the info! Now it makes sense to me (sometimes I am a little slow) <g>
Advert