Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #211
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A retna display will look better yes. But a retna display is just pixel doubling. It does not give you the use of all those extra pixels.
I have no idea what you mean.
The new iPad allows you to get more readable text on screen at once than the old iPad. In what way does that not give you use of more pixels?
Have you actually used both?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I have no idea what you mean.
The new iPad allows you to get more readable text on screen at once than the old iPad. In what way does that not give you use of more pixels?
Have you actually used both?
I have an iPad and my wife as the New iPad. I also had an iPhone 3G and I now have an iPhone 5. So to answer your question, yes I have.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #213
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
If it's an Apple laptop, then it doesn't actually count because a retna display does not actually use the extra pixels for more on screen. My 1600x1200 monitor on my Windows computer uses the pixels as pixels. It does not use it as an 800x600 display with pixel doubling.

For example, a New iPad get no more content on screen then an iPad.
You are right about the iPad, but wrong about the laptop. I can, if I choose, set my display to not double pixels. I actually tried it once. It makes everything crazy small, but not impossible to use. As a practical matter I will almost never use it that way because the benefits of doubled pixels far far outweigh having more stuff on the screen.

And as others point out, doubled pixels mean you can read much smaller text and see much finer detail. It's tough to go back once you're used to it.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #214
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
As a practical matter I will almost never use it that way because the benefits of doubled pixels far far outweigh having more stuff on the screen.
Depends on what you work on. My desktop monitor is 2560x1440 and I have no doubling shenanigans going on, and I couldn't use anything smaller. For my line of work, having lots of real state (true real state, if you start double pixeling you lose it) is a must.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #215
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doubling shenanigans? Are you saying sharper isn't better?

If I needed a larger display, I wouldn't be using a 15" laptop or I would plug in an external monitor.
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #216
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Doubling shenanigans? Are you saying sharper isn't better?
Well, it must depend on your eyes. If your eyes cannot read very small letters it does not matter how sharp they are.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #217
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Depends on what you work on. My desktop monitor is 2560x1440 and I have no doubling shenanigans going on, and I couldn't use anything smaller. For my line of work, having lots of real state (true real state, if you start double pixeling you lose it) is a must.
That interesting.

If I understand what you are talking about, we in the US would say "real estate."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Apple should be doing 2880x1900 on a 17.3" screen without the doubling which wastes have the pixels. Otherwise, you pay extra for a resolution you cannot effectively use.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #219
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That interesting.

If I understand what you are talking about, we in the US would say "real estate."
Ah, yes, my bad... That's what I meant, "estate".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #220
heySkippy
Groupie

Quote:
Apple should be doing 2880x1900 on a 17.3" screen without the doubling which wastes have the pixels. Otherwise, you pay extra for a resolution you cannot effectively use.
The retina screen on the 15" MBP is simply beautiful. Everything from text to photographs just looks better. I actually dislike using my wife's iMac now because I can see the pixels in text.

Saying all those extra pixels are wasted is just silly. They're available to be a larger desktop any time I want. Fact is, the vast majority of the time I would prefer to have ultra-crisp text and graphics in a desktop size that's appropriate for the size of the screen.