Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #226
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You cannot take legal possession of stolen goods, even in good faith. That is true for everything except money. Amazon, of course, took the easy way out. Great service would have been to secure legal copies for all buyers (even if they were more expensive). But I am sure you also gave them the right to delete items directly from your Kindles somewhere in the fine print. It stinks, but I am sure it is legal. You can always vote with your feet and buy something else.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #227
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You cannot take legal possession of stolen goods, even in good faith. That is true for everything except money. Amazon, of course, took the easy way out. Great service would have been to secure legal copies for all buyers (even if they were more expensive).
There are no legal eBooks of these texts - that's the point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #228
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
You cannot take legal possession of stolen goods, even in good faith. That is true for everything except money.
That may be true in Taiwan. I don't believe this to be true in the UK at least not completely.

(Our old neighbour had his car stolen, he later recognised the car with new number plates etc etc and reported it to the police. However the new owner had purchased it in good faith and my parents friend was told to claim against his insurance as the new owner was the legal owner, despite the car being stolen property).
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #229
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
That may be true in Taiwan. I don't believe this to be true in the UK at least not completely.

(Our old neighbour had his car stolen, he later recognised the car with new number plates etc etc and reported it to the police. However the new owner had purchased it in good faith and my parents friend was told to claim against his insurance as the new owner was the legal owner, despite the car being stolen property).
Sounds like you got some wack laws in the UK then.

Here in Australia it wouldn't matter at all if you purchased "in good faith". If it is stolen property to begin with it would be taken from you and returned to the original owner.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #230
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Sounds like you got some wack laws in the UK then.

Here in Australia it wouldn't matter at all if you purchased "in good faith". If it is stolen property to begin with it would be taken from you and returned to the original owner.

Cheers,
PKFFW
That is also the law in the UK. If you buy a car and it turns out to be stolen, the original owner will get it back. The only exception to this would be if the insurance company had already settled the claim, in which case the vehicle would belong to the insurance company.
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #231
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
See thats the way I would have expected it to go, and the reason it stuck in my mind was that it was the exact opposite.

I even remember that the insurance claim had been submitted but wasn't complete and that he contacted the insurance company to put it on hold while the police investigated. The police confirmed that it was definatly his car but because it had been bought and sold again the "owner" of the car kept it.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #232
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know what happened in your case, Lee, but I am absolutely 110% certain that British law, in the normal case, is as I describe it. That's why, when buying a secondhand car, it's so important to do an ID check on it, because should it turn out to be stolen, you will, in the normal course of events, lose your money.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #233
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
All of that is true, but the legal principle which applies is that when you buy something, you can only acquire the property rights that the seller has to sell.

The seller of infringing property by definition does not have any ownership rights in the property. The copyright laws place the ownership in the copyright owner as long as we are within the copyright period. So the seller can't sell you what he doesn't have, no matter that you paid him for it.

Obama can't sell you my car. You can pay him for it if you want, but it matters not. It's still my car, not yours.

This is not really debatable as a legal matter. It's fundamental to property law.
Laws and analogies for physical products don't apply. Copyright and IP laws are fundamentally different. This has nothing to do with property rights.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #234
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Think of it this way. You hire a guy to fix your bathroom plumbing. You give him the key to your house, and go out for a cup of coffee. Meanwhile, the plumber spots a book in the bathroom you borrowed from his brother a couple of years ago, and decides to pick it up and take it back to his brother.
Again, that's a physical property example, which has nothing to do with IP.

Quote:
Same thing here. When Kindle owners turn on Whispersync, they are giving Amazon the keys to the Kindle. When Amazon deletes the Rand book, they are returning it to the brother.
The customer didn't borrow it, they bought it. Big difference.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #235
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
You cannot take legal possession of stolen goods, even in good faith.
There is no such thing as "stolen goods" in copyright law. You're confusing physical property laws with IP laws. There are completely different things. IP received from an unauthorized distributor has nothing to do with possession of stolen goods.

Quote:
But I am sure you also gave them the right to delete items directly from your Kindles somewhere in the fine print. It stinks, but I am sure it is legal.
Just because something is stated in a contract does not necessarily mean it is legal. If it is illegal for Amazon to remove your eBooks, then it does not matter what the fine print of a contract says, it is still illegal. Amazon can put in the fine print of the contract that if I don't pay them, they have the right to break my legs. That doesn't mean they can actually do it.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #236
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We can argue about this all day, but we won't really know until the courts decide. If you so thoroughly believe that there is a case, go ahead and sue them. If you weren't among the victims locate one and work with him or her.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #237
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Have we beat da buggah to death yet?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #238
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Again, that's a physical property example, which has nothing to do with IP.
It's an "analogy"! Not an "example."

(I'm either going to have to stop using analogies, or drop a disclaimer in whenever I use one.)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #239
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Laws and analogies for physical products don't apply. Copyright and IP laws are fundamentally different. This has nothing to do with property rights.
IP means "intellectual property."

Further, the copyright statute specifically refers to copyright as having an "owner." If something can have an owner, it's property.

And finally, the law does not consider ownership of property in terms of its physical existence. The law considers "property" as what lawyers refer to as "a bundle of rights." Rights in property are the same sort of thing as copyright & IP. That is, they are legal concepts, which can be apportioned in different ways.

For example, you can have a "life estate" in a house. That's the right to live in it, or to sell the right to live in it, measured by the length of your life. This is an example of property being apportioned in time.

Or you might be a landlord, who rents an apartment to the renter. The renter has the exclusive right to the use of the property over a period of time. Except that the landlord might retain the right to entry for stated purposes, such as repair & maintenance. That part of the apportionment over time is reserved.

Or take money. Our parents might put a million bucks into the bank for you and me to share the income on - I get the first thousand dollars of interest, you get the next five hundred, and we divide the rest (they always liked me best.) Here, ownership of the income stream has been apportioned, apart from ownership of the capital.

Or take copyright. I can sell you the right to use my copyright in limited ways - say, only in a movie as background music, or only for playing on the radio. Dividing it by usage. Same way as I can sell you the right to grow corn on my land, but not wheat.

Property, legally considered, consists of nothing more than ownership of different kind of rights, and copyright is merely one kind of such property right.

The very purpose of copyright law is to quantify the nature and duration of the ownership of the property called "copyright."
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #240
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Mom always liked you best? I wondered why you had bacon, eggs, toast and OJ for breakfast and all i got was water and oatmeal.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote