Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question Starfire and/or Safehold

Any thoughts on Weber's Starfire or Safehold series?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Any thoughts on Weber's Starfire or Safehold series?
Both excellent. The "Starfire" series is more Steve White, I'd say, by the way (not that it makes a difference).

"Starfire" is military SF, fast-paced and action-packed. "Safehold" is much slower-paced, with less action, but it's an excellent read (although it does get a little bogged down in places).

Both thoroughly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both excellent. The "Starfire" series is more Steve White, I'd say, by the way (not that it makes a difference).
Oh! I saw a few of the books credited to Weber..oops.

Quote:
"Starfire" is military SF, fast-paced and action-packed. "Safehold" is much slower-paced, with less action, but it's an excellent read (although it does get a little bogged down in places).

Both thoroughly recommended.
Bogged down as in techno info dumps?
How would you compare them to Honor Harrington (which is the only thing I've read so far)?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Oh! I saw a few of the books credited to Weber..oops.
All 6 books in the series are written by Steve White. The first 4 are co-written with David Weber, the 5th with Shirley Meier, and the 6th with Charles Gannon.

Quote:
Bogged down as in techno info dumps?
No. Just lots of people having very long conversations, with not much happening. But it is worth sticking with.

Quote:
How would you compare them to Honor Harrington (which is the only thing I've read so far)?
The Starfire series is fairly similar in style to HH - especially the space battles. Safehold is totally different. I'd suggest trying the first book and see if you like it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
All 6 books in the series are written by Steve White. The first 4 are co-written with David Weber, the 5th with Shirley Meier, and the 6th with Charles Gannon.

No. Just lots of people having very long conversations, with not much happening. But it is worth sticking with.

The Starfire series is fairly similar in style to HH - especially the space battles. Safehold is totally different. I'd suggest trying the first book and see if you like it.
Ah ok. Conversations I can handle. I tend to get glassy-eyed after awhile when Weber goes into full tech mode in Harrington.

I'll probably try Safehold before Starfire.

1. Hubby has the Safehold series in Hardcover, and
2. It sounds like it will be an interesting change of pace.

I have to finish Honor first, of course....

Thanks for the feedback, Harry!
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am almost done reading the first Safehold book and I am really enjoying it. I love Honor Harrington but getting out of space and on land for some old fashioned cannons and naval battles is a nice change of pace.

I also recently read Crusade, the first book in the Starfire series. I liked it but it was a lot more action oriented. They would take 2 pages to cover a meeting that discussed a battle that would take place in 4 months when reinforcements arrived. Page break using * * * and the battle is on! Enjoyable read but it moved quick.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I am almost done reading the first Safehold book and I am really enjoying it. I love Honor Harrington but getting out of space and on land for some old fashioned cannons and naval battles is a nice change of pace.
It is, I agree entirely. I know that some people find Safehold to be too slow-paced, but I really enjoy it. It's a nice change to the frenetic full-on action of HH and Starfire. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series, in September.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I second Harry's recommendation of Weber's Safehold series. I've read all of the books so far and have preordered the one due out in September. Very different from Honor Harrington but excellent nonetheless.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too love both the Safehold and the Starfire Series. I enjoy both because they are different. I have read both series many times.
I am eagerly waiting for the next Safehold book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Just a minor correction. Your post seems to imply that the first four Starfire books were mostly written by Steve White rather than David Weber. I believe that Weber was the primary author of those books. Certainly first four Starfire books (collected in the Stars at War I and Stars at War II), read a lot more like the David Weber only books than the Steve White only books. I believe they were based on the Starfire board game.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I too love both the Safehold and the Starfire Series. I enjoy both because they are different. I have read both series many times.
I am eagerly waiting for the next Safehold book.
Apache
There are some snippets on Eric Flint's website for "Midst Toil And Tribulation"

http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2...-27/#more-3949

Hopefully, we will not have to wait too long.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
There are some snippets on Eric Flint's website for "Midst Toil And Tribulation"

http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2...-27/#more-3949

Hopefully, we will not have to wait too long.
It's release date is September 18, 2012.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote