Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Am considering buying a Ebookwise 1150 have questions

Hi all, I’m considering getting a new ebookreader and I’m looking into the Ebookwise 1150, since the E ink devices are way too fragile for my taste.

I’m currently using a Franklin Ebookman and am using Mobipocket Creator and ABC Amber Lit Converter to convert everything [PDF, Word, LIT files] into readable content for the Ebookman. HTML and TXT files are already native to the Ebookman.
This doesn’t allow for images [mainly from PDF’s] to be converted though.

I would like to know which programs I will need with the Ebookwise.

I will be mainly getting files from my PC and transferring them into IMP files to read on the Ebookwise.

I’ve been reading up on the Ebookwise and it seems to me I will need the following programs;

Ebook publisher
Impserve to manage content
PDF read to convert PDF’s
Lit2sb converter if I want to do a direct conversion from LIT to IMP

Are there any other programs that I need and/or will come in handy?

Is it possible to download RSS feeds onto the Ebookwise?

Any other useful info about the about the Ebookwise is also appreciated?

Thanks,

Simon
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
recommend it

I highly recommend the eb 1150. I love mine! Its sturdy and has a long battery life!

Software programs that I use regularly:
librarian
convertlit

I try and buy books through ebookwise so I can get .imp format if not I got for .lit format or .html

The great news is there are plenty of on these forums that know lots about the readers and so when I get stuck I come here and post a question!

I don't bother with RSS feeds on my machine so I am not sure what ones are available.

Anyway as I said I recommend the reader, its a great price for a great little machine.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I always buy from Fictionwise in the .rb format and then use their web server to upload (I am on a mac). I prefer buying from Fictionwise because the .rb titles which are readable on the eBookwise (i.e. not 'secure' ones) are all multiformat so I can download a second copy in a different format to back up onto my computer or read on my iPod Touch. 'Scure' content at eBookwise is a bad buy because you can only read it on that one device (e.g. even if you later buy another device FROM THEM, you can't transfer it!) So I read a lot of freebies from Manybooks.net (download in .rb and use web server to transfer) and my multiformat Fictionwise buys.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
I think you also need the Ebookwise Librarian to transfer books onto the 1150. Dont know if any of the programs you already mentioned do this...
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You can transfer content using the Personal Content Server at eBookwise website. You do not need to install software. But the PCW is a bit slow and buggy sometimes. If you are on a PC, it is better to have software, but I am on a Mac and am doing fine without.

Also forgot to mention, if you buy multiformat titles at Fictionwise and then log in later to the eBookwise site, it will give you the option to copy over those new books to your bookshelf for download directly from the reader.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
I think you also need the Ebookwise Librarian to transfer books onto the 1150. Dont know if any of the programs you already mentioned do this...
impserve will do this. You do not need to purchase eBookwise Librarian unless you prefer it for some reason. There are great wiki pages covering the eBookwise-1150 to learn to use it and how to manage it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
I'm assuming that you are using a windows pc. The list of software that you have should pretty much cover everything. I would also recommend mobi2imp from nrapello also available on the forums here.

I have started buying mostly mobipocket format books and using mobi2oeb that is included with Calibre to explode the mobi file and get the html and an opf file that can be used to create an imp or just using mobi2imp to create an imp directly. I've run into a few lit books that just would not convert properly. I haven't run into that problem with the mobi files. The html from a mobi tends to be a little cleaner and easier to modify if need be than that from a lit file.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Try shopping at IMP software for all your .imp needs.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
eshajan
Enthusiast
eshajan began at the beginning.

Device: franklin ebookman 911
Thanks for all the info

Thanks for all the info, I just saw that Ebookwise are having a sale; the 64 mb model is now $ 115,95, I think I'll be getting mine soon.

Thanks a bunch,

Simon
eshajan is offline   Reply With Quote