Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
does the 350 have the same resolution as 650 ?

the reason I ask, is does the 350 have the same amount of words on the screen at the same time, but smaller ?

if so I would prefer the prs-350.
if not, I would get the prs-650
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Yup. They both have the same resolution. 800x600.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They have the same pixel resolution, but I think Sony adjusts font size so that it's physically the same for both screens. That means that 350 will fit less words on the page for the same font size. Note that I did not verify this as I don't have both readers.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They have the same pixel resolution, but I think Sony adjusts font size so that it's physically the same for both screens. That means that 350 will fit less words on the page for the same font size. Note that I did not verify this as I don't have both readers.
Actually for the same book with the same font size both 350 and 650 display the same page with the same number of words as well. I verified them. When I say the same font size I mean the font size defined within the Reader. For example, selecting 'S' font size in 350 and 650 will show the same page.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Thanks for checking. I guess I was wrong then
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I think Sony used to do it for PRS-300 vs PRS-505, but they may have forgot to do it for 350 vs 650.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Maybe they thought that with the three extra font size options we wouldn't need the conversion. The older 300 had only three font size choices which made it difficult to find that "just right" size. It is lot easier now on the 350 with six font size choices.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The older 300 had only three font size choices which made it difficult to find that "just right" size. It is lot easier now on the 350 with six font size choices.
I don't have my 300 anymore, so I can't compare, but I'm actually frustrated by the 350's font size choices. Small is too small, but medium is too big.

I guess I've just been pampered by the Opus' 12 size options, and custom fonts.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Can one zoom out an entire page that's set to "small" to create a sort of "small+" font size?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I don't have my 300 anymore, so I can't compare, but I'm actually frustrated by the 350's font size choices. Small is too small, but medium is too big.
I love my Sony(s), but I have to agree. I actually pinned the poor sales clerk at the Sony Style store down and mentioned three things I think Sony failed on in this release:
  • Need more font size choices, with smaller percentage change between them
  • Need to upgrade the ADE firmware to read B&N ebooks
  • Need to allow for user-defined fonts
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Yes both devices have the same pixel. However, you will notice when displaying pictures, the 650 screen is lighter in grey shades then the 350 because when you reduce down the screen size, the pixel becomes more dense producing better quality. After comparing both models, I find the 350 produces more darker shades and better picture details.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Don't forget to mention Wi-Fi which is pretty standard in the industry and users would have easier access to the store so they would download more. The future is all about wireless and touch screens and so far they got the touchscreen right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I love my Sony(s), but I have to agree. I actually pinned the poor sales clerk at the Sony Style store down and mentioned three things I think Sony failed on in this release:
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
We also need to ask B&N do something so that their ebooks can be read on Sony Readers, not to forget that we should also ask Amazon support ePub and ACS4 DRM as well.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
B&N doesn't have to do anything...the capability to read B&N ebooks on ADE has been built into the ADE build as of early this year (so I've read). It's just that Sony hasn't chosen to use that new build.

And, yeah, it'd be nice if Amazon would support epub, but I've kind of given up on that.

Oh, and I have no interest in WiFi, so I didn't mentioned that one to the salesclerk. Someone who actually wants it will have to step up and talk about that one!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
B&N doesn't have to do anything...the capability to read B&N ebooks on ADE has been built into the ADE build as of early this year (so I've read). It's just that Sony hasn't chosen to use that new build.
I had heard that there might be an issue with B&N not allowing Sony and others to use their ADE ePub DRM version. B&N is partly to blame for being stupid in 2 areas:

1. They chose a DRM flavour that is different than everyone else's which fragments ePub further and confuses customers who just want to buy and read.

2. They will only sell to US billing addresses.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote