Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
ChristSchmidt
ChristSchmidt began at the beginning.

Question Can I read Japanese text with it?

I have a lot of japanese scientific papers in pdf form that I'd like to read with the new sony reader. i was wondering if the reader can actually display japanese characters.

this file (http://monarch.gsu.edu/WebRoot$/multiculturalhealth/handouts/japanese/Japanese_all.pdf) is a random japanese pdf -- it would be a big help if one of you guys could try out to open it with the reader. maybe you could even take a picture while the japanese text is onscreen....

i'm located in europe and i can't try it out myself but before i shell out $350 i wanna be sure.

thanks again,
Chris
ChristSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If it's a PDF, then you won't have a single problem displaying japanese text. But for the other formats, until there's an easy way to add font to the reader, I don't think it'll be possible to display japanese.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead. Glad you found us.

Other than using the utilities to add a new font to the Reader, the only way to view documents with a Japanese font is by using a PDF file with embedded fonts as Hadrien mentioned. The problem with that on the Sony Reader is that it resizes PDF pages to fit the 6.1" screen rendering normal A4 or letter sized pages almost unreadable. If you can create the PDFs sized to the Reader it should work fine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote