Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
jduffy
jduffy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here's what I am looking for - need your suggestions

Other than the obvious, as in meaning low glare screen, good resolution, most formats supported, natural paper look on the screen, etc., I want an ebook reader that has a user replaceable battery and is capable of downloading newspapers/magazines or having them downloaded to PC automatically and then uploaded to the reader. Any suggestions other than the Kindle? I like what the Kindle is capable of, but it is too closely tied to Amazon making it a bit closed and I understand the batteries in the new Kindles are not user replaceable. Not sure what other ebook readers have user replaceable batteries and I cannot find anything other than the Kindle that will get me the daily paper and monthly magazines.

Thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks,

Duffy
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Hrm, iRex has a paper delivery service, but I'm not sure it works quite as you're asking for. Other than that, I don't know of any devices that do newspapers. Amazon is the only one that offers what appears to be the exact niche you're interested in that I'm aware of.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I believe you can download a variety of newspapers to Sony readers using Calibre. Not too sure about magazines, however.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Lots of us have the sony 505 and it is pretty good for grabbing newspapers and putting them on the device using calibre, as the last guy stated.
It doesn't have replacable battery, but I don't worry about it, since I get 3 weeks battery life with single charge and the unit can be left on for 2 to 3 weeks.
Maybe in a few years , I might buy a battery for it , which you can find on the net, but you do have to take it apart.
The other devices (itouch, dslite, psp, netbooks) only have 2 or 3 hours battery life , yeah, it helps to have replaceable battery, but, 2-3 weeks , not a problem for me.
Sony does lots of formats and super easy to convert stuff to format that works on device.
Most eink screens are the same, but the 505 is considered to be towards the top of the pile, but next year who knows.
Maybe go to borders and look at them in the store, I think the 300 is like the 505 but a little smaller.
Others can also point you in the right direction as to other ereaders they like.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I agree with everything richman wrote.

I read lots of newspapers and magazines on my 505 that I download with calibre. The magazines are mostly news magazines (e.g. Newsweek, The Nation, etc.). The best part is that - unlike on a Kindle - they're all free. It's real easy to set it up to download them automatically.

Unless you're going camping for a month, I can't see any need for an extra battery for a dedicated reading device.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Unless you're going camping for a month, I can't see any need for an extra battery for a dedicated reading device.
If camping, a solar charger with a PSP tip will charge the Sony Reader.
Or take a PowerMonkey.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58447
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The whole 'user-replaceable battery feature is overdone in many cases. It may be important on a Kindle or the like, which has a pretty short battery life if you're using wireless. I have a 2-year-old Sony 500 that is still used daily, and still lasts about 2 weeks or more between charges. It uses so little power that battery degradation is not an issue. If the battery degrades another 50% over the net year or 2, it will still only need to be charged about once per week!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
bcumyns
bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300
My Calibri menu shows:
Adventure Gamers
Barrons
The Economist
Forbes
Harpers
The Nation
The New Republic
Scientific American
Time and
Wired - - as well as a whole bunch of others plus newspapers, etc. Download Calibri (Free!), click on the Fetch News icon at the top, and peruse the list. I have to hook up the USB cable each morning, but this is not a chore. And it is FREE! Did I mention that it is FREE??
bcumyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
jduffy
jduffy began at the beginning.

Device: none
There is some confusion about my battery question. I don't want/need to replace on a daily/monthly or whatever basis. What I am worried about is a unit that MUST be returned to the factory for an EXPENSIVE replacement when it becomes worn out and will no longer hold a charge. The Kindle2 has to go back to Amazon for replacement. Don't want that issue after I buy a unit. Sure it is a year or 2 out, but I want to be able to do it myself.

Also, thanks to all for the feedback. I have Calibre installed already and have downloaded some newspapers, books, etc. But it would be nice to have that auto download function built into a Sony unit the same way it is on the Kindle. Just don't want to get locked into Amazon with the Kindle.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Looking back over the years, with old laptops/ and other tech gear, mostly I use something for 3 or 4 years and then get a new whatever it is. I don't buy laptop batteries although I could. Generally the speed/screen and everything else improves and I get a new one, in 2 to 3 years these things will be in color. If you want to wait, wait. I will use it for 2 or 3 years and get another one. Same with TV , if new type comes out in 3 years I could wait or get one today and watch tv for 2 or 3 years and then get new one. Same idea.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduffy View Post
What I am worried about is a unit that MUST be returned to the factory for an EXPENSIVE replacement when it becomes worn out and will no longer hold a charge.
The various Jinke clones have user replaceable batteries. In the United States, this means the Astak EZReader (6") and the Astak EZReader PocketPro (5"). I have the PocketPro for my son and I think its great.

However, there is one concern about the PPro's user replaceable battery. It is easily user replaceable, but we have yet to find a generic battery for it. This means that you would have to get the battery from the manufacturer.

Have you tried replacing, say a cell phone battery after a couple of years? My experience is that you can find batteries for some of the 'hot' models, but that even phones from name brand manufacturers can be harder to get batteries for after a couple of years.

If battery replacement is a major concern of yours, I'd think that the only way to go is to buy a spare battery now. The good news is that Astak sells them now for only $15, so if this is a concern of yours, you could buy a spare battery now.

I'm not personally convinced its a good purchase, though. What is the chance that you will still have the same unit in good working order, but for the battery in two to three years? As a comparison, how many people have three year old cell phones? ipods? If, for example, your screen breaks, you might never need that replacement battery. Let's say that you have a 1 in 3 chance of having the unit last long enough to need a new battery. This means that, on average you would spend $45 for every one batteries needing replacement. You might be better just waiting to see if you need one. Furthermore, with the dropping price of book readers it might be better to simply replace the reader. The PPro is $199 today -- I'd predict a price of $99 to $125 for an equivalent device in two to three years.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The Sony 900 (Digital Edition) is supposedly coming out in December. It will have the ability to download newspapers/magazines direclty to the device. It has a seven inch screen instead of a six inch, so it is larger than the existing Sony's and the Kindle 2. (But smaller than the Kindle DX).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981151

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote