Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS 600 Screen Quality in Comparison to 505 (and other questions)

How is the screen quality of the 600 compared to the 505? Is it as crisp and clear? I'm now thinking of upgrading to the 600, as I just found out it existed.

Also, does the 600 have a built in dictionary feature?

And, finally, what kind of tocuh screen is it? Is it a pressure one, as in a soft screen that sense the depression of someone pressing it, or is it electrically stimulated by the body, like the iPhone?
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
How is the screen quality of the 600 compared to the 505? Is it as crisp and clear? I'm now thinking of upgrading to the 600, as I just found out it existed.

Also, does the 600 have a built in dictionary feature?

And, finally, what kind of tocuh screen is it? Is it a pressure one, as in a soft screen that sense the depression of someone pressing it, or is it electrically stimulated by the body, like the iPhone?
The screen is not as clear as the 505, but very readable.

It is supplied with an English and American dictionary and works really well with the touch screen. It's very good most of the time, but a bit brief in some instances. The entry for "chastisement" just says that it's a noun ... I have no idea what the word means, but in context it might be the oposite of irony. I would also have liked a Star Trek add-on dictionary.

The touch screen is pressure sensitive, it works really well but if you're used to the iPhone it takes a couple of minutes to get used to actually applying preassure.

Overall I'm very happy with the device.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
I would also have liked a Star Trek add-on dictionary.

Now that would have made it a "must buy"!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
It is supplied with an English and American dictionary and works really well with the touch screen. It's very good most of the time, but a bit brief in some instances. The entry for "chastisement" just says that it's a noun ... I have no idea what the word means, but in context it might be the oposite of irony.
In situations like that, tap the brief dictionary entry to show the full definition, which is given under the verb, "chastise" (which means "to punish", by the way).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #5
logan5
logan5 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505,PRS600
I've had my 600 for just over a week and I decided not to look at my 505 during that time. I have become used to the 600 but last night when I switched on the 505 again I was blown away at just how good the screen is on the 505.

Having said that, I think I will keep the 600 as I wanted the dictionary functionality.

The Sony case with light does make a difference though and improves the contrast greatly. At night with the light, I much prefer the 600 to the 505.

In artificial lighting, the 505 wins hands down.

Tovare: If you press the left button, the dictionary will take back a page e.g. from chastisment to chastise where you can get a better definition.
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me it's the screen annotation which is the "killer" feature on the 600. I create a lot of my own eBooks, and the ability to "mark up" errors on the screen as I'm reading, and then go back through the annotations to correct the errors is a huge time-saver for me. Previously I used to have to carry a (paper) notebook around with me and write down all the errors in that. Being able to simply "draw" on the screen is great.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Thanks for the tips
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I've got to agree with Harry and Tovare

The dictionary is an excellent function. Which I use daily.

I often drop presentation notes and the like onto my reader and annotations are an excellent way to correct these or to make changes on the fly.

I also love the fact that when I want to write something down quickly I don't have to scrabble for a pen and paper. My reader which is almost always in my pocket, or my backpack.

The screen is nowhere near as crisp as the 505. And I do (mostly on the tube) find it difficult sometimes to find an angle where the screen reflection isn't distracting. However this is minor and the advantages above more than make-up for it.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
SchalaZeal
SchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Many thanks for the info! I adore my 505 most of all for it's screen clarity... but it's good to know the 600 is very much worth getting.

As soon as a wi-fi model become available, however...pretty screen or no, I'm gettin it! ^_^
SchalaZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cool, I'm definitely getting one. I don't mind if it isn't as crisp, just as long as the text is easily readable.

With my 505, I mostly read at night in my bed with a light behind me. Will this work with the 600, or will the light not be sufficient. It isn't super bright, but good enough for the 505.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I've had my 600 over 2 weeks now and I can't say i have any issues with the screen. yes there is some glare but nothing that will make you not enjoy reading on it. definitely recommend it!
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezin View Post
Cool, I'm definitely getting one. I don't mind if it isn't as crisp, just as long as the text is easily readable.

With my 505, I mostly read at night in my bed with a light behind me. Will this work with the 600, or will the light not be sufficient. It isn't super bright, but good enough for the 505.
If it's good enough for the 505, it should be good enough for the 600. Really the only difference is that the 600's screen is slightly more reflective, so you may have to angle the screen a little to avoid having the reflection of the light directly in your eyes.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
One thing I like about the 600's screen is that you can take notes quite easily, but you don't have to be terribly careful not to let your hand on the screen while writing. Just like in paper, no problem!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
logan5
logan5 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505,PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's good enough for the 505, it should be good enough for the 600. Really the only difference is that the 600's screen is slightly more reflective, so you may have to angle the screen a little to avoid having the reflection of the light directly in your eyes.
With my bedside lamp, there is massive difference between the 505 and the 600.

I found the 505 effortless to read, the 600 takes a lot more fiddling about to get a comfortable position. However, the 600's Sony case with light goes a long way to alleviating this.

I think the upshot is if you use both the 505 and the 600, then the additional glare/reflection/insert word here/ is very noticeable and annoying which is why I am trying not to use my 505
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
With my bedside lamp, there is massive difference between the 505 and the 600.

I found the 505 effortless to read, the 600 takes a lot more fiddling about to get a comfortable position. However, the 600's Sony case with light goes a long way to alleviating this.

I think the upshot is if you use both the 505 and the 600, then the additional glare/reflection/insert word here/ is very noticeable and annoying which is why I am trying not to use my 505
I agree. I think if you are going to read in bed, most likely the lighting isn't going to be the best for the 600. and an easy way to get around this is to just use a book-light.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote