Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Smile Catalog Help

I have an 800+ library that I want to have represented in a catalog.

Can anyone tell me a workaround for getting the page number, Gunning fog rating, and the GoodReads Average User Rating and Review Number in it?

I have columns that are already filled, so I am figuring that they need to be snuck into the tags column.

What I do not want to do is spend an eternity hand editing the metadata. I also would prefer to not see all that info dumped into the tags browser, BUT I would be ok if I had the info in nested form (page.###)(Avg.rating.#.##)(gf.#.##)(Reviews.###,# ##)

I used the page/word/GF plugin to get that data, and I imported my GR list to get the Average User Rating (although, I think I would rather have the total number of ratings since this would be a better indication of a book's popularity), this requires viewing the linked book but I can live with that.

So, specifically I am asking for some help getting the individual book data in pages, work, average rating, gunning fog, and total reviews into the catalog in such a way that when I look at the book description I can view it.

I am also asking how I can populate this information from currently filled columns.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I have an 800+ library that I want to have represented in a catalog.

Can anyone tell me a workaround for getting the page number, Gunning fog rating, and the GoodReads Average User Rating and Review Number in it?

I have the columns already filled, but I cannot get them to show in the catalog options, so I am figuring that they need to be snuck into the tags column.

I used the page/word/GF plugin to get that data, and I imported my GR list to get the Average User Rating (although, I think I would rather have the total number of ratings since this would be a better indication of a book's popularity).

Any suggestions?
I think you will need HTML and some Python skills to customize the template.
Calibre has this great feature:
If you put a custom version of a file found under Calibre2/resources into the same relative position in the Configuration folder, Calibre will use that version (and it will not get stomped upon during an update)

Look here
<progams folder>/calibre2/resources/catalog/
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks

I was just about to delete this thread because I found the change-the-catalog options in the sticky threads.

I am not at all experienced in Python or HTML, but I do know I can figure it out.

This will be a fun challenge. If I can pull this off I will be really pleased.

I will post if I really need some help.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@theducks

I am not at all experienced in Python or HTML, but I do know I can figure it out.

This will be a fun challenge. If I can pull this off I will be really pleased.

I will post if I really need some help.
That is the way we like it.
There usually are plenty of knowledgeable helpers hanging around when you have a specific question.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Rellwood

Ok, I know this is an easy answer...

Exactly where do I take the copied HTML and CSS Style to edit?

I know that once I get them in the place they need to be to work on them, I can do it.

I know that I can edit a book ok, but creating code is new to me.

Can I create a sample catalog in epub, then edit it in the book editor?
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ok, I know this is an easy answer...

Exactly where do I take the copied HTML and CSS Style to edit?

I know that once I get them in the place they need to be to work on them, I can do it.

I know that I can edit a book ok, but creating code is new to me.

Can I create a sample catalog in epub, then edit it in the book editor?
Preferences: Miscellaneous: Open configuration folder (button)
make a desktop shortcut to here if you are doing much

Inside this folder is where you replicate the calibre2 path location for the files

in this case: resources/catalog (make folders as needed)
Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Rellwood

@theducks

I have the files, I have the place where they are, I just need to open them into a place where I can edit them.

This may not have been necessary, but I just downloaded the Python program. I figured that this is where I can do it.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theducks

I have the files, I have the place where they are, I just need to open them into a place where I can edit them.

This may not have been necessary, but I just downloaded the Python program. I figured that this is where I can do it.
You could probably edit them in place with Notepad(++)
Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Rellwood

Ok then.....

Apparently you cannot just "install" python.....I am now faced with a simple black screen with old school text.

this is too much for a damn catalog.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Rellwood

Note pad?

the file opens up in a notepad form, but it's not in any kind of format that I can read. The words run together, so I don't know what is what.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Rellwood

Keep in mind, I am a 41 year old whose last computer class had me learning DOS. Everything I am doing now has been all about practice, but I don't know the frameworks. I have been learning by working withing already built constructs. So, I know the guts, but I don't know the basics on how to get it going.

It's been a while.

Now that you said using notepad, I googled "how to edit a style sheet in notepad" Thank God for "How To.."

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-19-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try using Notepad++ -- the default MS Notepad is a lousy text editor.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Rellwood

@theducks

Thank you! I downloaded the program and it uploaded the files, and now I can actually see how they work, and how to edit them.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #14
Rellwood

Any suggestions on how to make two separate prefixes?

I need to indicate if a book has been read or unfinished.

I need to indicate if the book is located in the cloud.

I won't be downloading my in-the-cloud books so I need to indicate in the catalog if it's in the cloud or not. This is not mutually exclusive to having been read.

This will save me from having to create 3 different catalogs.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Rellwood

Nevermind. I didn't realize that the original files were read only. I opened new files and pasted the info. I was able to copy and paste the prefix command twice.

Tags
catalog, catalog plugin, page numbers, workaround