Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Is this return really necessary?

I recently reported to iRex that my iLiad (V2, software 2.11 and now 2.12), can't find my wireless network on a search, and doesn't connect, despite the fact I have the SSID broadcasting and all other devices work fine. It used to work.

Their immediate response was that I needed to send the iLiad back to them - no other checks or adjustments first.

I rely on my iLiad, and wireless is one of my least used functions (though I live in hope that one day we'll be able to get some decent content that way), so I'm reluctant to send it back except as a last resort.

On the other hand, if it has a function, I want it to be available, even if I don't use it much!

Is there anything I could try before sending it back do you think, or am I stuck with being without it for a while?

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by MarkRPenn; 02-08-2008 at 06:17 AM.
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Take a look at this by thetechnobear. In post #4 he provides a way of getting detailed log info on the connection. I have not tried it myself, but it looks like a good place to start.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Ah yes thanks. I did see that thread, but didn't try it because A) I don't have a clue what all the Linux wizardry means, and B) for me, even a search fails (except once). Now he's posted a simple method, I'll give it a go before returning the iLiad.

Thanks again.

Mark
Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
hmm, ive not seen a situ where iliad fails to see my network from a search/scan,

the scan should see your network assuming SSID is broadcast and you are in range,
regardless of other security issues which come into play on connecting.

though if its hardware issues, im surprised you have ever seen your network.

i suppose other things to try are: using a different channel and ensuring max power, and perhaps turning off g, and g+ on your wlan router... but i doubt this will make any difference

btw, i believe the wireless range on the iliad is quite limited, well compared to some other devices i have - but im sure you tried very close with line of sight.
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnobear View Post
hmm, ive not seen a situ where iliad fails to see my network from a search/scan,

the scan should see your network assuming SSID is broadcast and you are in range,
regardless of other security issues which come into play on connecting.
Yeah that's what I thought. My SSID is broadcast.

Quote:
though if its hardware issues, im surprised you have ever seen your network.
I suppose it could be intermittent? When I say it found it, I mean once in about 20 attempts!

Quote:
i suppose other things to try are: using a different channel and ensuring max power, and perhaps turning off g, and g+ on your wlan router... but i doubt this will make any difference
I could try a different channel, but I selected the one I'm on because it gives the best reliability with all my other devices, so it should be OK. It's on max power I think. What wireless spec does the iLiad use - I have my router (a Belkin) set to 11b+g+n at the moment.

Quote:
btw, i believe the wireless range on the iliad is quite limited, well compared to some other devices i have - but im sure you tried very close with line of sight.
Just a bit! The one time it did find the network, I was the other side of an internal brick wall (i.e. about 2 feet away), but I also tried several times actually inside the cupboard with my router - 6 inches max!

(yes, I know putting the router in a cupboard isn't ideal, but it's at the centre of the house and works a treat with everything else)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's looking more and more like hardware, so I guess iRex were right
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Waiting for your network to show up? Time for visiting https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6902

;-)
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote