Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Nook disregarding word-spacing in Epub

I'm trying to make my Nook-Touch use the entire width of the screen, which is more than the built-in margin selection permits me. This is so I can read as many words as possible in a single line for a better reading experience.

To do this I edit the Epub's CSS to make them have negative margins like so-
margin-left: -3pt;
margin-right: -3pt;

This works. The problem is that the Nook simply spaces out the words more instead of cramming more into the line. i.e the number of words are the same in each line, the spaces just grow.

I've tried defining word spacing in the Stylesheet but the Nook seems to be ignoring them. like so-
word-spacing: -0.1em;

Does anybody have an idea is this is possible? Is it a Nook issue or am I doing something wrong with the stylesheet?

---- UPDATE -----------------------

Thanks for your replies. About hyphenation- The Nook DOES hyphenate. Big time. This seems to be the default in Nook and from what I read cannot be changed.

Setting text-align: justify; to the EPUB has resulted in LESS hyphenation. Still, no matter what I do, I still get the same amount of words in a line per page. Very strange.

Last edited by Indigo121; 09-04-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
have you tried setting:

Code:
@page { margin: 0 !important; padding: 0 !important; }
body { margin: 0 !important; padding: 0 !important; }
instead?

I don't know if it will work, each reader has its own quirks and defaults that cannot be changed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
This works. The problem is that the Nook simply spaces out the words more instead of cramming more into the line. i.e the number of words are the same in each line, the spaces just grow.
That sounds like "justification." The space you're adding by reducing the margins is not quite enough for the justification algorithm to move words to the previous line(s), so it adds more space between the words. Does the Nook do hyphenation?

You could try turning off justification on the device if that's possible, and/or change the body-text alignment in the epub from justified to "left." That will, of course, result in space at the end of a line (ragged-right), rather than between the words, so it might not result in a change in the overall number of words per line.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Hyphenation will also depend upon the language of the ePub. NST shipped with a us-en hyphen dict (maybe es as well). If the hyphen dict for the language specified in the epub isn't present, the epub won't be hyphenated, but will still be justified.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote