Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The best crime/mystery novel of the Twentieth Century

In the Maltese Falcon Vote thread, I mentioned that I feel that The Maltese Falcon is the best crime/mystery novel of the twentieth century. Apparently no one agrees with me!

So I wonder...Which ONE crime/mystery novel do you consider to be the best of the century?

I'm always open to suggestions!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I didn't disagree with you. It's just that there are so many to choose from.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd find it impossible to choose one, but if I had to pick the best author of mysteries, for me it would probably be Dorothy L. Sayers. Her "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are my favourite crime novels as a series, largely because of the continual character development that goes on throughout the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've read and reread Sayers, but I think the books would have been better if she hadn't fallen in love with Lord Peter. Busman's Honeymoon was embarrassing.

I have to think about whom/what I consider best, especially since it involves comparing apples and oranges and pineapples and kumquats.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Got it. Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I think it's an impossible question to answer. So much depends on one's own background and general tastes. Sayers was the first crime novelist I ever read. That was at a time when I thoroughly despised genre fiction (I was a very swotty teenager). The only reason I read her was because she had been an undergraduate at my Oxford college. As well as an extremely well-stocked academic library, we had a small reading room for lighter reading. It was mainly supplied with books written by members of the college and one day I ventured to read one of hers. And naturally Gaudy Night appealed most, because it was set in an Oxford women's college.

I'm sorry to say that I never managed to finish The Maltese Falcon. It bored me to tears.

I wonder what qualities we are looking for in judging a crime novel as outstanding?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'd like to put up Agatha Christi's And Then There Were None

or maybe Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
I think it's an impossible question to answer.
+1 on this. First of all, think of the four main branches of the mystery genre tree:

*the cozy mystery
* the "hard boiled" private eye mystery
*the police procedural
*the spy/international thriller

Each have their different pleasures, advantages, and drawbacks- pleasures that that often contradict with each other. With the "cozy mystery", for example, you are shielded from the reality that there is a violent crime and a corpse at the center of the mystery , whereas the police procedural practically rubs your nose in it.
Fans of one variety are unlikely to consider examples of another variety as " best or even "good". Think Val McDermid , with her graphic descriptions of violence and unabashed talk of sex vs Dorothy Sayers: we are practically talking of different planets!!

Maybe we can talk of a best subgenre of mystery fiction: best police procedural, etc.
That at least is conceivable.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
+2 on impossible question. And good point on the subgenres.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yup - impossible.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Agatha Christie - "The Hollow" - Poirot is out-foxed by the most unexpected assemblage of characters ever included in one book.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I had been meaning to post a reply in the vote thread, but since there is this thread now, I'll say it here: The Maltese Falcon wouldn't even be in the Top 10 of best crime/mystery books of the 20th century for me. Maybe Top 100.

The first one that came to mind upon seeing the thread title was "And Then There Were None". I'm not a huge Christie fan, but that is definitely her best book and the book is so expertly plotted, especially for it being "the first of its kind" and leading to the now well-known die-one-by-one genre that has transferred to films.

I used to read a lot of mystery when younger but it's not often my cup of tea anymore, for the most part. So I may have missed a lot of good ones.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
My top candidates in each of my categories:
Cozy mystery- " Hercule Poirot's Christmas", Agatha Christie
Hard boiled private eye- " Devil in a blue dress" , Walter Mosely
Police procedural- "The mermaids singing," Val Mcdermid
International\spy thriller- Shibumi, Trevanian.

Anyway, that's my candidates this week. Note how completely different these books are from each other .
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep" is a good one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't read that many crime books but I am a big fan of Barbara Vine on the "mystery" side.

There's something that seems different about her books as mysteries. They seem to dwell in the ordinary but slowly reveal terrible catalysts or unveil buried mysteries that make the stories extraordinary - to me anyway.

She will always be my preferred author in that particular area of fiction.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote