Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #601
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Hi Micah,

I agree that some sort of alert when the library is rebuilding a great idea, and I'm totally willing to pay $$ for a quality ereading app.

Also, I really like the default sans-serif font and I'm curious what it is. Can you say?

Last edited by Jane12; 10-24-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #602
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
IMHO, the best course of action would be to have an open-source ebook reader for iOS. Mind you, this *could* be charged for (cf. Wesnoth being F/OSS and still being sold on the AppStore) anway. (And here I'm looking at you, iOS ebook reader devs. :-) )

Let's face it, there's (almost)* no other way to stop any determined company (like Amazon) from buying and subsequently burying a closed-source software (like Stanza, Bluefire Reader or MegaReader, just to name a few).

Because in the end, when it comes to non-trivial amounts of money, most of us (including myself) will give in or will be forced to give in to secure the survival of a company.

(* "almost" because there's the KDE Free Qt Foundation (http://www.kde.org/community/whatisk...foundation.php) but that's not something viable for a smaller project like an ebook reader)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #603
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
This is really good news, Micah.

Something else I would suggest, given whats happened to Stanza, is that you start asking for donations or charging for the app. I'd hate to see you tempted by an offer from Amazon which will surely come in the future, because you are doing this for $0 I've paid up to $10 for reading apps I don't use because they are now not up to scratch. I'd be happy to pay for something which is excellent, ad-free, and staying available with all iOS updates (and Android updates... still not sure which way I will jump in the long run).
Thanks for the suggestion. We might do that some day, but I'd want to also have a free version. One or two bucks is not much for most people, but one of the greatest things about ebooks is that it puts a bunch of free books into the "hands" of anyone (fortunate enough to get their hands on a device) - even if they are very poor, or kids that don't have credit cards. This is important to me, as I believe that reading changes and enriches lives - and readers make better neighbors and global citizens. This is one reason we work so hard to support library lending too. It is complex technology, but libraries are a vital organ to our American organism and we need to support them.

Anyway, off my soapbox - We do license our software to ebook retail chains and brand it for them. So we have a revenue stream that keeps us fed.

Last edited by Micah; 10-22-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #604
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
IMHO, the best course of action would be to have an open-source ebook reader for iOS.
While that's a great idea, that wouldn't be a be-all end-all; I rather doubt Adobe would allow their sourcecode to be released to the world at large, which means no DRM support.

(And a home-brewed rendering engine, but I'm willing to accept that someone can come up with one as good as Adobe's, even if they haven't yet. )
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #605
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post

Anyway, off my soapbox - We do license our software to ebook retail chains and brand it for them. So we have a revenue stream that keeps us fed.
Aha! Thats why I have seen so many Bluefire clones on the app store
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #606
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Aha! Thats why I have seen so many Bluefire clones on the app store
Yes, and you will see many more.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #607
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

One cool app coming up is for the ABA (American Booksellers Association) called "IndieBound". You can shop from your favorite local store and they get the proceeds. Infrastructure provided by Google and the ABA. App by Bluefire.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #608
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Also some library systems will be releasing their own eReader apps - powered by the smoky B.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #609
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Yea, Yea. I'm a UX guy not a writer.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #610
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So, what about updating Bluefire to use the latest mobile ADE?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #611
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
This is really good news, Micah.

Something else I would suggest, given whats happened to Stanza, is that you start asking for donations or charging for the app. I'd hate to see you tempted by an offer from Amazon which will surely come in the future, because you are doing this for $0 I've paid up to $10 for reading apps I don't use because they are now not up to scratch. I'd be happy to pay for something which is excellent, ad-free, and staying available with all iOS updates (and Android updates... still not sure which way I will jump in the long run).
I could not have said better!

Perhaps two versions, a free or ad supported version and full/paid version.

Like you I have paid as much for just trying reader apps.

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #612
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So, what about updating Bluefire to use the latest mobile ADE?
I don't understand the question. ADE is desktop software.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #613
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I don't understand the question. ADE is desktop software.
I'm assuming he means RMDSK 9.3 (Bluefire is using 9.2, I believe?).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #614
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

[QUOTE=ATimson;1799071]I'm assuming he means RMDSK 9.3 (Bluefire is using 9.2, I believe?).[/QUOTE

Yes, we are using 9.2. Is there a particular feature in 9.3 that interests you?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #615
broberds
broberds began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hi Micah,

When I open Bluefire after being out of it for a while, it "forgets" the book I'm reading and takes me back to Library. I'd love to just come back to where I left off in the book I'm reading.
broberds is offline   Reply With Quote