Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #76
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
But that won't remove the FUD, merely send a copy of it to the black hole. Unless you are setting up a permanent redirect for all new FUD.
Just to make clear, /dev/null discards all data written to it. It is
"device" that does not print the content to standard out, aka
monitor, nor logs. We started it as a joke, but don't want it to
make false definition.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #77
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Really? I was so intrigued by that reference that I wasted 15 minutes looking for the interview!

That's almost Steve Jobs-ian; "we know what you need, and that's what you're getting".

Really? REALLY?
"Your debutante knows what you need, but I know what you want...Oh, Momma, can this really be the end? to be stuck inside of Kindle with the Sony blues again..."
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #78
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
"Your debutante knows what you need, but I know what you want...Oh, Momma, can this really be the end? to be stuck inside of Kindle with the Sony blues again..."

OMG! Perfect!!! I so love that line from Dylan! He's incredible!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #79
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Just got my (ahem, my wife's) K3 this morning... sorry to say but we love it
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #80
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Well, I want you to know that a few days ago I was in B&N and a particularly knowledgeable young salesman took quite a bit of time to answer my every question about the Nook. (See my rather lengthy and early comparison of the Kindle 3 and the Nook in the "Which one should I buy?" thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=27.) A shiny new Nook with the latest firmware came home with me.

I've had a few days off work with ample opportunity to play with both systems side by side and I believe I've made my decision.

New thread coming soon to let you know which I've chosen and why.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #81
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Well, I want you to know that a few days ago I was in B&N and a particularly knowledgeable young salesman took quite a bit of time to answer my every question about the Nook. (See my rather lengthy and early comparison of the Kindle 3 and the Nook in the "Which one should I buy?" thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=27.) A shiny new Nook with the latest firmware came home with me.

I've had a few days off work with ample opportunity to play with both systems side by side and I believe I've made my decision.

New thread coming soon to let you know which I've chosen and why.
Quit being coy.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #82
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Coy? Who, me?

Nah, my high school senior just got home from school and he and I are comparing our notes on the Kindle and the Nook while I dally over a mid-afternoon dram of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. (My daughter and her b/f are in town this week, so we did the Stranahan's tour this morning while the boys were in school.)

kennyc, you are in Denver. Ever been down there? Kalamath at Alameda is a horrific mess with all the construction along there currently, but it was still an hour very well spent -- especially the tasting. I stopped at Applejack's on the way home and found, much to my delight, that Stranahan's was on sale for $19 a bottle less than the distillery's price!

Cool fall breeze coming off Green Mountain, warm tumbler of this fine libation at arm's reach -- that review may have to wait a bit!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #83
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
I'm so with you jlm.

And one other thing i am very disappointed about, and which only occured to me yesterday is, that the only custom sorting feature (collections) is disabled when you unregister your kindle! At first i couldn't believe it, tought it to be a broken device or something, but when i re-registered, everything worked again. Are they crazy??

Ok, they shipped my kindle with a pre-installed registration to my amazon account (including my credit card). So if the shipment is lost and someone grabs my device she can easily buy some fine books before I notice. Ok, UPS is reliable and all, probably never happened. But what if I just lose my kindle? What then? And don't say that i can set a password. I really don't want to enter a PIN before i can read.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm teaching Internet Security at the University, but seriously, does noone have a problem with that??
Someone else probably already answered or said this, but if you are at all worried, just check the box that says it is a gift. Then it isn't pre-registered. You can register it to yourself when it arrives.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #84
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Ok, they shipped my kindle with a pre-installed registration to my amazon account (including my credit card). So if the shipment is lost and someone grabs my device she can easily buy some fine books before I notice. Ok, UPS is reliable and all, probably never happened. But what if I just lose my kindle? What then? And don't say that i can set a password. I really don't want to enter a PIN before i can read.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm teaching Internet Security at the University, but seriously, does noone have a problem with that??
If that happens, you call Amazon, tell them what happened, and they credit your account.......immediately.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #85
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If that happens, you call Amazon, tell them what happened, and they credit your account.......immediately.
Yeah i know that
And even if it may seem that i hate the Kindle, thats not the case. In fact I quite came to like it, now I worked around everything that seemed bad to me. But one has to fluster a little to make a difference ;-)

btw.: Here are the modifications I made, if someone wants to know or has the same problems:
- Installed the screensaver hack, now i always see the cover of my current book (and can tell my kindle apart from my buddy's)
- Deregistered it, and now i use the Kindle Collection manager for collections (I really don't need facebook and the stuff only registered kindles get...)
- Donated 10 bucks to caibre because now it can automatically put the series information in the metadata-Tile of a book when sending it to the device (maaan thats great!) So my folders/collections now look as i want them to ( collection/001-Title 002-Title etc..)
- Changed the left margin from the smallest size (40) to 10. Now i can actually use the 6 inch screen ;-)

Yepp and apart from a few other small things, I'm pretty happy now.

cheers and enjoy the weekend. Maybe read a good (e)book ;-)
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #86
rugglesjade65
rugglesjade65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
At least the Kindle is better than the Nook which has no collection folders. If you have a lot of books on your ebook reader, having them with no collection folders is terrible. The only reason I also purchased the Nook was so I could download and read epub books from my local library as well as read ebooks from other sources which are primarily epub format. Until the Nook adds folder capability, I find it inferior to the Kindle.
rugglesjade65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #87
Vighnahara
Vighnahara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
- Changed the left margin from the smallest size (40) to 10. Now i can actually use the 6 inch screen ;-)
How do you do this one?
Vighnahara is offline   Reply With Quote