Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Question I can't open acsm files

Recently I downloaded some freebies from Harlequin in pdf format. These have turned up on my desktop as acsm files which I can't open.

At least I think they're the Harlequin books: I can't find them anywhere else. The "properties" don't help much. I've googled this and become more concerned. I've run a registry fix (CCcleaner) and downloaded ADE, just in case I haven't got it!

I'm confused
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The .acsm file is a small transfer file that contains the encryption codes necessary for downloading the actual PDF. All you should need to do is open the .acsm file using Adobe Digital Editions. Usually, when you install ADE it tells your web browser to do this automatically when it sees an .acsm file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The .acsm file is a small transfer file that contains the encryption codes necessary for downloading the actual PDF. All you should need to do is open the .acsm file using Adobe Digital Editions. Usually, when you install ADE it tells your web browser to do this automatically when it sees an .acsm file.
I also believe that version 3 of the Sony Library software will work as well (at least, the Mac version does). Just right-click on the .ascm file, and "Open with" either program.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
acsm files are receipts which you must give to ADE (or Sony EBL 3.0), which will then talk to the store's back end server to get the real book (either PDF or ePub), and the license needed to read it.

If you can't double click on the file to open ADE, then drag & drop the .acsm file on to it.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the information. My ADE seems to be having problems. It opens, then seems to freeze with a "verifying document" box (it has one of those lines which needs to fill with squares) over it. Have I done something wrong. I downloaded the installation file and proceeded with the installation as normal. I did all this while on line.
I do have a few pdf's which have "sailed the high seas". Could that be the issue?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
In your Digital Editions folder, there should be a folder named tasks. With ADE closed rename that folder to "tasks.bad", and then launch ADE. If ADE opens after that, but you still don't have the file after that, then close ADE (this will save the current state), relaunch ADE and then drag & drop the .acsm file on to ADE. It will redownload the file, and try to open it. If it gets stuck verifying the file again, then you should contact the store/library you got the file from and report the problem.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Thanks, I tried this, but ADE still seems frozen. When I dragged and dropped the file into ADE the program just ignored it, and wouldn't let me drop it.
I'll get back to Harlequin, which is where I got the file as a freebie. I'm going to uninstall ADE, I haven't needed it until now.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Someone in the Harlequin freebies section of MR mentioned that you don't need Adobe Digital Editions with the new Sony software. I still use the older version. I've read lots of bad reports about the update on here and am not sure about whether to download it. Will it overwrite the older version? What happens to the books loaded into the software?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
When I am trying to open an ebook that I downloaded from Northern California Digital Library (.acsm file) I get an error: Sorry, the file you are attempting to open cannot be opened by Digital Editions

Adobe has a page: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408910.html saying that this is probably a version mismatch and suggesting to "Contact the web site (eBook store or library) from which the eBook was downloaded or purchased."

But how do people view the ebooks from Nor Cal library? Should I find the older version? What is the practical solution for me?

Last edited by jerrry94087; 12-27-2009 at 09:57 PM.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote