Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Apologies in Advance for Dumb Question

Folks, I've had my used sony prs 505 for a week now and I love it. But I have a question. What does the button on the bottom right do? I've been reading away on the Sony and never used it.

Last night, I tried pushing one of the little arrow keys and the sony froze up. I got it working again, but now I fear that button.

I downloaded the sony manual from online, and it calls this the menu button. But my screen is tiny (computer) and I can't tell if the manual ever really explains the button's uses.

I'm writing on the run as I have to leave soon. Again, I apologize if this is the stupidest question ever.

And thanks!

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
ht1948
ht1948 doesn't litterht1948 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If I understand you question correctly, the directional button and the selection button are used in the TOC
ht1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm not it's the menu key on the reader? It's virtually impossible to navigate around the SONY reader without using it? Are you referring to the button that is located under the "Menu" text? Or the big button in the middle of the arrow wheel?

What that button does is navigates you up to the menu selection of the eBook. Also holding the button down for 1 sec will take you to the home page. A very handy trick.

BTW you should not be afraid to press any button. The SONY should be able to handle all button presses.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uh, the button that moves you through the levels--I've been using that one. I mean the wheel with the arrows.

Thanks.

Sherry
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I almost never use the arrow keys. They're for scrolling through highlighted things in a book, such as a table of contents, or footnotes. If you see an asterisk that's highlighted, if you press the button inside of the arrow keys, it'll take you to the footnote (then you have to hit "menu" and "continue reading" to go back). If there's more than one footnote on the page, use the arrow key to get to it.

That's pretty much the only experience I have with those keys...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
sherryk_us
writer/reader

Thanks. I think I understand the arrows and central button now. Like you, I don't think I'll use them much. They do balance the one on the left nicely, though.

Sherry
Old 06-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
Uh, the button that moves you through the levels--I've been using that one. I mean the wheel with the arrows.

Thanks.

Sherry
Just for clarity.
The Up/Down arrow scroll you thorough links on a page. For images it scrolls up/down.
The Left/Right arrows navigate your history, they are just like a web browsers front/back button. So if you jump to a new page by selecting a footnote/hyperlink/bookmark, the back button will take you back to the previous page. This is an awesome feature that took me months to figure out . Now I use it all the time.

The center button is a like a PC <ENTER> button. You press it when you need to confirm something. Say like when you want to jump to page 45 in a book. Just type <4>, <5> <Center> and it will jump you to page 45. This is also used when selecting a link in an eBook.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Just for clarity.
The Up/Down arrow scroll you thorough links on a page. For images it scrolls up/down.
The Left/Right arrows navigate your history, they are just like a web browsers front/back button. So if you jump to a new page by selecting a footnote/hyperlink/bookmark, the back button will take you back to the previous page. This is an awesome feature that took me months to figure out . Now I use it all the time.

The center button is a like a PC <ENTER> button. You press it when you need to confirm something. Say like when you want to jump to page 45 in a book. Just type <4>, <5> <Center> and it will jump you to page 45. This is also used when selecting a link in an eBook.

=X=
Oh well that is awesome! I didn't know that!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
If you see an asterisk that's highlighted, if you press the button inside of the arrow keys, it'll take you to the footnote (then you have to hit "menu" and "continue reading" to go back).
I'm not sure if this is all books with footnotes, as I've only read one book so far with footnotes, but in that book if I pressed the button to get to a footnote and then pressed the button again when I'd finished reading the footnote, it took me back to where I was in the book - it was quicker than going back to the menu
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You will also find the left and right-arrow buttons useful when moving to a specific chapter in a long book... if there are more chapters in the TOC than can be displayed on one page, rather than having to scroll all the way to the bottom to force the next page of chapter shortcuts to display, just use the right-arrow.

In addition, if you are busy reading the book and fumble the next page button, you may see the screen grey out and freeze with an underscore and a number after it in the middle of the screen. This just means you have accidentally tried to navigate to a specific page number. Normally, you would press, say, 5, 6, 0 then the central circle in the right scroll ring to go straight to page 560. If you do this by mistake, just press the menu button to clear it and return to your page.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote