Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Sorry off topic!

¡Hola!Ruben,

tu eres un verdadero gentleman!

La mayor parte de tus soluciones son eficaces (incluso para ePub), y esa siempre es un placer para descubrir lo que tu inventó para resolver los problemas que son presenten a ti.

Gracias and sorry for my bad spanish!

Last edited by Arios; 12-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #62
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Sorry off topic!

¡Hola!Ruben,

tu eres un verdadero gentleman!

La mayor parte de tus soluciones son eficaces (incluso para ePub), y esa siempre es un placer para descubrir lo que tu inventó para resolver los problemas que son presenten a ti.

Gracias and sorry for my bad spanish!
Hi Arios;

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm really glad that some of my codes could help you with your ebooks. And your spanish is by far much better than my english. Many thanks again.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #63
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Wow, I read through all the replies here, and my first reaction was that Amazon (and Kindle) seems so incredibly daunting that all I wanted to do was give up on even bothering to try, and just crawl back into bed and lie there in a fetal position!

But then I mustered up my courage (and curiosity), got a second wind, went and downloaded/installed KindleGen, Kindle Previewer and Kindle for PC, and then opened up my ebook -- i.e. that first one I did (with that "olde" second-half), not the one I've been referring to here re this background image question -- and checked it out to see just how badly it would fall apart.

Well! Despite my apprehension that nothing would work right, on the contrary I'm amazed that -- for the most part -- everything seems to look just fine!

To summarize...

- In all three Kindle Fire tabs, everything seems just "perfect"! I haven't gone over it all with a fine-tooth comb, but as far as I can see everything is just fine, no problems that I can "see".

- In Kindle Paperwhite, things seem surprisingly just fine, too. Obviously the embedded fonts don't work, but even still that "olde" part seems to work out okay. The only real issue that I see is where I'd used two embedded ornaments, which now show up as letters instead, but I think that could be resolved by going into Font Forge and putting those ornaments that I wanted to use into different slots. For example, I'd used a nice, fancy ornament underneath my chapter headings, and right now that ends up coming out as the letter "d" -- but I could put that in the slot for the em-dash (or something) instead and then it wouldn't look so bad. Well, better, at least.

- in KindleDX, none of my full-page images show up -- but I suppose those people simply won't know what they're missing (and I can only presume are used to stuff being "missing" anyway). The only real issue that I see with other images are the images I'd used as dropcaps, which don't resize down to a reasonable size and are HUGE (comparatively)... but once again, I would assume that people on that platform are used to things often looking "funny" in that sort of way?

I realize that it would be nice to have things degrade gracefully for certain platforms (or older devices), but to what extent do we sacrifice all the nice things we can do with more modern devices just to accommodate those older devices -- especially considering that people using those must surely be used to seeing lots of "crap"? And even the issues that I do have with that book of mine don't seem THAT drastic (and the issue with that embedded ornament font I could surely resolve in the way that I mentioned).

So I don't know -- as usual. With that first book of mine, that people kept saying over and over and over again that it "Will never work in Kindle", at least as far as viewing it in Kindle Previewer goes it seems to work out either perfectly (as far as I can see) or at least reasonably, forgivably okay (oh, and also in Kindle for PC it's virtually "perfect").

So now what? I haven't tried out my second book yet -- where I was using that background image for each/every chapter, and I presume from what people have been saying that aspect of it will just fall apart (in some Kindles, anyway) -- but as far as my first book goes, with it having seemed to come out just fine, really (with a couple of small, easy fixes in Font Forge), am I missing something?

I know this is off-topic from the original thread here -- let alone the book that I was talking about for that issue -- but if my first book seems to work fine, what's to prevent me from just going ahead and getting an account with Amazon and loading 'er up there (i.e. this mobi file that KindleGen made)?
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Wow, I read through all the replies here, and my first reaction was that Amazon (and Kindle) seems so incredibly daunting that all I wanted to do was give up on even bothering to try, and just crawl back into bed and lie there in a fetal position!

But then I mustered up my courage (and curiosity), got a second wind, went and downloaded/installed KindleGen, Kindle Previewer and Kindle for PC, and then opened up my ebook -- i.e. that first one I did (with that "olde" second-half), not the one I've been referring to here re this background image question -- and checked it out to see just how badly it would fall apart.

Well! Despite my apprehension that nothing would work right, on the contrary I'm amazed that -- for the most part -- everything seems to look just fine!

To summarize...

- In all three Kindle Fire tabs, everything seems just "perfect"! I haven't gone over it all with a fine-tooth comb, but as far as I can see everything is just fine, no problems that I can "see".

- In Kindle Paperwhite, things seem surprisingly just fine, too. Obviously the embedded fonts don't work, but even still that "olde" part seems to work out okay. The only real issue that I see is where I'd used two embedded ornaments, which now show up as letters instead, but I think that could be resolved by going into Font Forge and putting those ornaments that I wanted to use into different slots. For example, I'd used a nice, fancy ornament underneath my chapter headings, and right now that ends up coming out as the letter "d" -- but I could put that in the slot for the em-dash (or something) instead and then it wouldn't look so bad. Well, better, at least.

- in KindleDX, none of my full-page images show up -- but I suppose those people simply won't know what they're missing (and I can only presume are used to stuff being "missing" anyway). The only real issue that I see with other images are the images I'd used as dropcaps, which don't resize down to a reasonable size and are HUGE (comparatively)... but once again, I would assume that people on that platform are used to things often looking "funny" in that sort of way?

I realize that it would be nice to have things degrade gracefully for certain platforms (or older devices), but to what extent do we sacrifice all the nice things we can do with more modern devices just to accommodate those older devices -- especially considering that people using those must surely be used to seeing lots of "crap"? And even the issues that I do have with that book of mine don't seem THAT drastic (and the issue with that embedded ornament font I could surely resolve in the way that I mentioned).

So I don't know -- as usual. With that first book of mine, that people kept saying over and over and over again that it "Will never work in Kindle", at least as far as viewing it in Kindle Previewer goes it seems to work out either perfectly (as far as I can see) or at least reasonably, forgivably okay (oh, and also in Kindle for PC it's virtually "perfect").

So now what? I haven't tried out my second book yet -- where I was using that background image for each/every chapter, and I presume from what people have been saying that aspect of it will just fall apart (in some Kindles, anyway) -- but as far as my first book goes, with it having seemed to come out just fine, really (with a couple of small, easy fixes in Font Forge), am I missing something?

I know this is off-topic from the original thread here -- let alone the book that I was talking about for that issue -- but if my first book seems to work fine, what's to prevent me from just going ahead and getting an account with Amazon and loading 'er up there (i.e. this mobi file that KindleGen made)?
Did you say you'd viewed it in Kindle? Regular e-ink, or have they removed that now from Kindle Previewer?

Also: your embedded font should work on Paperwhite, if it's working on the Fire Devices. Fire and Paperwhite are K8. DX is still, I think (anyone know? This is one of the few devices I don't actually have), K7. If you want to send me your file to test on a K7 device, I can do that for you, but I can't imagine that it could possibly work on a K7, unless my mind is finally, after 5 years of this, utterly broken.

BTW: No, people with Kindles, Kindle2's and DX's aren't "used to things often looking 'funny' in that sort of way."

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 12-07-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added the "BTW" about how accustomed older device owners are to seeing imperfect content.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #65
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To summarize...

Yes, in Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 No Touch and Kindle 3, your ebook should display very well (that is, because all those models support the .kf8 format). And Kindle Paperwhite should show the fonts you embedded. Something must be wrong with the procedure to do that (the custom fonts you are using, are they being employed in the SVG images?). Also you should see the ornaments in Kindle Paperwhite; again something should be bad with the used code.

Quote:
That is because KindleDX doesn't support the .kf8 format; in this device is very few what you can do. And KDX also doesn't support float images (and you must indicate the size of the images in pixels).

Quote:
I realize that it would be nice to have things degrade gracefully for certain platforms (or older devices), but to what extent do we sacrifice all the nice things we can do with more modern devices just to accommodate those older devices -- especially considering that people using those must surely be used to seeing lots of "crap"?
Yes, you can do that by using "media queries". It will take you a bit of work but you can achieve that things degrade gracefully. All styles you want to be used by modern Kindle devices, you must enclosed them between:

@media amzn-kf8 {
Here must be all styles for kf8.
}

And styles you want to be used by old Kindle devices must be enclosed between:

@media amzn-mobi {
Here must be all styles for mobi.
}

You can see an example of the use of media queries in this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...66&postcount=6

Quote:
Your ebook will work almost perfectly (with some adjustments proper for that kind of devices will work perfectly) in modern Kindle devices. Problems appear when you want to adapt the book for older devices There, you can't have all the things you can have in the .kf8 format. But with media queries you can make the book perfectly readable for both types of devices

Quote:

Before loading the book in Amazon be sure that the book is well readable for the mobi format (Kindle DX in Kindle Prewiever).
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #66
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Hitch and Rubén, for your replies! I'll respond to both your comments here, below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you say you'd viewed it in Kindle? Regular e-ink, or have they removed that now from Kindle Previewer?
I presume that's been removed. In KP, when I choose "Kindle e-ink" as my device, it gives me two options: Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle DX.

Quote:
Also: your embedded font should work on Paperwhite, if it's working on the Fire Devices. Fire and Paperwhite are K8.
None of my fonts show up in Paperwhite -- not in KP, anyway. I don't have any "real" Kindle devices myself, though, so I don't know what differences there might be between the previewer and the real thing.

On to Rubén's response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Yes, in Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 No Touch and Kindle 3, your ebook should display very well (that is, because all those models support the .kf8 format). And Kindle Paperwhite should show the fonts you embedded. Something must be wrong with the procedure to do that (the custom fonts you are using, are they being employed in the SVG images?). Also you should see the ornaments in Kindle Paperwhite; again something should be bad with the used code.
I have absolutely no idea -- as I mentioned above, my fonts don't show up at all in Paperwhite (in KP, at least). If something went wrong, well, that's probably because I'm clueless! All I did to convert the my book was open my epub in KP and it did the conversion to mobi for me. If there's any "tweaking" that should be done to the file(s) after that, I have no idea what those should be.

I remember that when I first made my original epub, I had to manually insert a "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" file in there in order to get the embedded fonts to display in iBooks -- do I have to do something similar for Kindle, too?

Quote:
Yes, you can do that by using "media queries". It will take you a bit of work but you can achieve that things degrade gracefully. All styles you want to be used by modern Kindle devices, you must enclosed them between:

@media amzn-kf8 {
Here must be all styles for kf8.
}

And styles you want to be used by old Kindle devices must be enclosed between:

@media amzn-mobi {
Here must be all styles for mobi.
}
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind -- thanks! Rather reminds me of browser detection in web design.

I don't think the issues I'm having are with styles so much, though, but rather with figuring out how to deal with whether the fonts embed... or not. That shouldn't be too difficult to deal with, but what I'm not sure how to deal with at this point is the various full-page SVG images that I have. As my book is, I have a nice page giving credit for the illustrations -- "Illustrated with the paintings of Lucie LeBel". That page shows up just fine -- it's just plain ol' HTML -- but naturally it won't make sense to people if they then don't actually see any of those paintings!

Mind you, as I was writing this last paragraph, it occurred to me that perhaps you gave a solution that might work. With regard to those full-page SVG images, do they work in kf8, but don't work in mobi? Mind you, what I'm previewing here is a ".mobi" file -- I'm not sure if I get this. But anyway, if that's the case, then I suppose I could include a class so that that line -- "Illustrated with the paintings of Lucie LeBel" -- is basically just hidden from view in mobi devices, and then people won't wonder why they don't see them.

Does that sound like a good -- and workable -- solution?

Quote:
Your ebook will work almost perfectly (with some adjustments proper for that kind of devices will work perfectly) in modern Kindle devices. Problems appear when you want to adapt the book for older devices There, you can't have all the things you can have in the .kf8 format. But with media queries you can make the book perfectly readable for both types of devices
Quite happily -- and much to my surprise -- my book seems to come out pretty much perfectly in all the various Kindle devices (based on what I see in KP, that is), apart from the two e-ink devices (Paperwhite and DX). For these latter, I guess I just need to tweak my HTML/CSS files in order to get them to work/look okay.

With regard to converting my original epub (designed essentially for iBooks/ADE), is the only thing that I really need to do just simply to plop that file in KP and let it convert it, and that's basically it? Because if that's the case, then I wonder if I could just have my original CSS file (which would effectively fulfil that "@media amzn-kf8" need) and then add in that "@media amzn-mobi", with whatever adjustments are necessary.

Wouldn't I then have one, single epub file (as a "base" file) -- and not a whole bunch of different files/versions -- that I could upload to iBooks, etc. as well, and then easily convert for Kindle?

Know what I mean? Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #67
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
...as I mentioned above, my fonts don't show up at all in Paperwhite (in KP, at least). If something went wrong, well, that's probably because I'm clueless! All I did to convert the my book was open my epub in KP and it did the conversion to mobi for me. If there's any "tweaking" that should be done to the file(s) after that, I have no idea what those should be.

I remember that when I first made my original epub, I had to manually insert a "com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml" file in there in order to get the embedded fonts to display in iBooks -- do I have to do something similar for Kindle, too?
How did you declare your custom fonts in your .css stylesheet? Are you using those fonts in your SVG images? This is important because to see custom fonts in SVG images you need to do some extra steps.

Quote:
... but what I'm not sure how to deal with at this point is the various full-page SVG images that I have. As my book is, I have a nice page giving credit for the illustrations -- "Illustrated with the paintings of Lucie LeBel". That page shows up just fine -- it's just plain ol' HTML -- but naturally it won't make sense to people if they then don't actually see any of those paintings!

Mind you, as I was writing this last paragraph, it occurred to me that perhaps you gave a solution that might work. With regard to those full-page SVG images, do they work in kf8, but don't work in mobi?...
SVG are not supported by old Kindle models; but those ones can show .jpg images, so still you have a chance in order that people with old Kindles can see your pictures.

Quote:
...Mind you, what I'm previewing here is a ".mobi" file -- I'm not sure if I get this.
The ".mobi" file generated by Kindle Previewer contains two types of files: a .kf8 (in order to be read for the modern models of Kindles) and a "properly" .mobi (the old kind of mobi) in order to be read for Kindle DX and the older Kindle devices. When in Kindle Previewer you enabled the Kindle Fire and Kindle Paperwhite preview, you are watching the ".kf8 part" of the .mobi file; on the other hand, when you enable the Kindle DX preview, you are watching the ".mobi part" of the .mobi file.

Quote:
...But anyway, if that's the case, then I suppose I could include a class so that that line -- "Illustrated with the paintings of Lucie LeBel" -- is basically just hidden from view in mobi devices, and then people won't wonder why they don't see them...
Yes, you can do that, but remember that you can show .jpg images in old Kindle models, if you wish.

Quote:
...Does that sound like a good -- and workable -- solution?
Yes, if you like it

Quote:
With regard to converting my original epub (designed essentially for iBooks/ADE), is the only thing that I really need to do just simply to plop that file in KP and let it convert it, and that's basically it?
That, or to use Kindlegen to convert your .epub in .mobi. Both ways are correct.

Quote:
Because if that's the case, then I wonder if I could just have my original CSS file (which would effectively fulfil that "@media amzn-kf8" need) and then add in that "@media amzn-mobi", with whatever adjustments are necessary.
Yes, to me that is what you should do. But remember that all what you declare under "@media amzn-mobi" will be applied for Kindle DX and older Kindle models, NOT FOR KINDLE PAPERWHITE.

Quote:
...I then have one, single epub file (as a "base" file) -- and not a whole bunch of different files/versions -- that I could upload to iBooks, etc. as well, and then easily convert for Kindle?
Yes, you could do that

Regards
Rubén
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #68
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
How did you declare your custom fonts in your .css stylesheet? Are you using those fonts in your SVG images? This is important because to see custom fonts in SVG images you need to do some extra steps.
Oh, my apologies, I guess I'd gotten off-topic here -- at least, from the original subject heading of this thread. The book that I'd been trying out in KP was my first book, where I use a fair number of full-page SVG images (but with no text overlaying them or anything). It's for my second book that I was trying to figure out how to do full-page images with text on top -- and hence this thread (how it started, anyway) -- but this point, if that won't degrade well in older/"plainer" versions of Kindle, I think I might just totally scrap that idea completely and just come up with something simpler for all my chapter titlepages. It's a shame, but it just seems too problematic. :/

To answer your question, though, I did use custom fonts in those full-page images with text on top (as you showed me how to do) and didn't insert any extra font-related code -- and my embedded font showed up just fine in them! At least, in iBooks and ADE -- I haven't looked at that file in KP yet. And there doesn't seem much point in bothering now, since no doubt those chapter titles simply won't work in mobi -- and my book would be pretty silly if all the chapters didn't have chapter titles. :/

Like I said, I think I'll just come up with a simpler way of doing those chapter titles up -- and with any luck it'll still be nice, of course.

Quote:
SVG are not supported by old Kindle models; but those ones can show .jpg images, so still you have a chance in order that people with old Kindles can see your pictures.
Um, I know I can specify CSS classes and stuff to differentiate between kf8 and mobi devices, but surely there's not much that I can do about those full-page SVG images (even without text on top) so that they'll instead just be simple images inserted in the page?

If there is a way, I wouldn't know how to go about that. My full-page SVG images are reasonably hi-res (basically they're all 1200x1800 in size), but if I wanted them to show up in a "simpler" device, I suppose I'd then also have to include a smaller version as well? I really have no idea! I had pretty much resigned myself to those full-page images showing up nicely -- if not perfectly -- in iBooks, ADE and kf8, but not at all in mobi devices, and just figured that that was what I'd be stuck with.

Quote:
The ".mobi" file generated by Kindle Previewer contains two types of files: a .kf8 (in order to be read for the modern models of Kindles) and a "properly" .mobi (the old kind of mobi) in order to be read for Kindle DX and the older Kindle devices.
Ah, okay! That explains why my mobi version was essentially twice the size (filesize-wise) as my epub version.

Quote:
That, or to use Kindlegen to convert your .epub in .mobi. Both ways are correct.
Um, that's the same thing as just opening the file in KP, isn't it? When I do the latter, it says that it's converting it using KindleGen.

Quote:
Yes, to me that is what you should do. But remember that all what you declare under "@media amzn-mobi" will be applied for Kindle DX and older Kindle models, NOT FOR KINDLE PAPERWHITE.
Oh, is Paperwhite kf8? Or something else? I still don't know why my embedded fonts weren't showing up in Paperwhite (in KP), since both you and Hitch said that they should have shown up.

Is there some code that I have to insert (like I had to in order for my fonts to show up in iBooks)?

Thanks again, Rubén!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #69
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
To answer your question, though, I did use custom fonts in those full-page images with text on top (as you showed me how to do) and didn't insert any extra font-related code...
That is! For that reason you can't see your custom font in Kindle Paperwhite. In order that custom fonts can be showed in headings, etc., you need to add some code in your css stylesheet; read this page:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...bed_fonts.html

Quote:
Um, I know I can specify CSS classes and stuff to differentiate between kf8 and mobi devices, but surely there's not much that I can do about those full-page SVG images (even without text on top) so that they'll instead just be simple images inserted in the page?
Yes, for the mobi format they just will be simple .jpg images.

Quote:
If there is a way, I wouldn't know how to go about that. My full-page SVG images are reasonably hi-res (basically they're all 1200x1800 in size), but if I wanted them to show up in a "simpler" device, I suppose I'd then also have to include a smaller version as well?
Yes, you would. Images of 600x800 would be fine.

Quote:
Um, that's the same thing as just opening the file in KP, isn't it? When I do the latter, it says that it's converting it using KindleGen.
Basically, yes

Quote:
Oh, is Paperwhite kf8?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
I still don't know why my embedded fonts weren't showing up in Paperwhite (in KP), since both you and Hitch said that they should have shown up.
Because you didn't declare them in your css stylesheet Read the page that I indicated above

Quote:
Thanks again, Rubén!
You are welcome
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #70
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Good morning, Rubén! I have a bunch of stuff to do today, so I'll have to take a closer look at the link you gave (re embedding fonts in Paperwhite) later, but I'm just a bit confused still about one part of what you (and I) wrote.

I had written...

Quote:
And you replied...

Quote:
Yes, for the mobi format they just will be simple .jpg images.
And then I wrote...

Quote:
If there is a way, I wouldn't know how to go about that. My full-page SVG images are reasonably hi-res (basically they're all 1200x1800 in size), but if I wanted them to show up in a "simpler" device, I suppose I'd then also have to include a smaller version as well?
And you replied...

Quote:
Yes, you would. Images of 600x800 would be fine.
I'm still not quite sure if I understand this here. As things are, my full-page SVG images are showing up okay in Paperwhite -- at least, the KP version of Paperwhite -- and seem to come out just fine, "full-page" and everything (although they come out in grayscale, of course, not in colour). I don't understand: what is it that needs to be changed or "fixed" here, if it seems to be working okay?

Sorry, I just woke up, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I have to get going and don't have time right now to think about this too much -- I hope I'm not just being "sleepy" (and dumb)!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #71
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I'm still not quite sure if I understand this here. As things are, my full-page SVG images are showing up okay in Paperwhite -- at least, the KP version of Paperwhite -- and seem to come out just fine, "full-page" and everything (although they come out in grayscale, of course, not in colour). I don't understand: what is it that needs to be changed or "fixed" here, if it seems to be working okay?
You have to include both kind of images: the SVG (at 1200x1800) and the .jpg (at 600x800). The svg images, (in fact, you only will use one background image at 1200x1800), they are very light and they'll be showed in ADE/iPad/Kindle Fire/Kindle Paperwhite. The .jpg images (you'll have to include one for each chapter with overwritten text), they'll have a medium quality (600x800) and only will be used in Kindle DX/Kindle 1/Kindle 2. Of course, you'll have to make the .jpg images "invisible" for ADE/iPad/Kindle Fire/Kindle Paperwhite and the svg images "invisible" for KDX/K1/K2 (you should write some code to achieve that).
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #72
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
You have to include both kind of images: the SVG (at 1200x1800) and the .jpg (at 600x800). The svg images, (in fact, you only will use one background image at 1200x1800), they are very light and they'll be showed in ADE/iPad/Kindle Fire/Kindle Paperwhite. The .jpg images (you'll have to include one for each chapter with overwritten text), they'll have a medium quality (600x800) and only will be used in Kindle DX/Kindle 1/Kindle 2. Of course, you'll have to make the .jpg images "invisible" for ADE/iPad/Kindle Fire/Kindle Paperwhite and the svg images "invisible" for KDX/K1/K2 (you should write some code to achieve that).
I have to dash, but what Ruben is trying to tell you, Psymon, is that the SVG images will NOT display in the K7 Kindles. A Paperwhite is a K8 Kindle, not a K7. To have your chapterheads show up in the K7 Kindles, you need to put a jpeg in that is the SAME as the SVG image, with the text atop it (IOW: you need an image that has the text IN it), and "call" it with the coding. You'll need CSS media queries, to make the K8 coding "hidden" in K7, and vice-versa. Right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #73
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I have to dash, but what Ruben is trying to tell you, Psymon, is that the SVG images will NOT display in the K7 Kindles. A Paperwhite is a K8 Kindle, not a K7. To have your chapterheads show up in the K7 Kindles, you need to put a jpeg in that is the SAME as the SVG image, with the text atop it (IOW: you need an image that has the text IN it), and "call" it with the coding. You'll need CSS media queries, to make the K8 coding "hidden" in K7, and vice-versa. Right?
I think there might be some confusion here! I said this a couple of times before, but perhaps it got "lost in the fray"... with regard to doing up my chapter titles as background images with text overlaid, it just seemed to problematic -- workable, I suppose, but problematic nevertheless -- that I decided to scrap that for doing up my chapter titles. I'm just going to do up something simpler for them instead -- I haven't come up with an idea yet, but I'll figure something out.

And with that said, I'm still very, very appreciative and grateful for all the time that Rubén (especially) and others put into teaching me about that -- it's still very nice to know and have learned! Thank you so much for that (once again).

With that said, though, all I've been talking about in my last few posts is NOT having chapter titles with background images w/text on top, but rather just images alone, done up to display full-page using SVG -- never mind the text on top. When I look at my first book, that "Imaginary Friend" one that went up on the iBooks store last week, and plop it into Kindle Previewer, all the full-page SVG pictures seem to show up just fine in Paperwhite -- so as far as I can see, that method of getting images to display full-page (and display at all) seems to work just fine in all versions of Kindle, except for KDX (for which they don't display at all).

I can see/understand that I would need to do up code like you both suggested in order to get those images to show up in KDX, but I guess what's confusing me is your saying I have to do something to get them to show up in Paperwhite -- when, as far as I can tell, they're showing up just fine in that.

Remember, I'm just talking about images (alone) done up with SVG so that they'll display full-page here -- there's no text on top of them, they're just "pictures" and nothing else.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #74
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I think there might be some confusion here! I said this a couple of times before, but perhaps it got "lost in the fray"... with regard to doing up my chapter titles as background images with text overlaid, it just seemed to problematic -- workable, I suppose, but problematic nevertheless -- that I decided to scrap that for doing up my chapter titles. I'm just going to do up something simpler for them instead -- I haven't come up with an idea yet, but I'll figure something out.

And with that said, I'm still very, very appreciative and grateful for all the time that Rubén (especially) and others put into teaching me about that -- it's still very nice to know and have learned! Thank you so much for that (once again).

With that said, though, all I've been talking about in my last few posts is NOT having chapter titles with background images w/text on top, but rather just images alone, done up to display full-page using SVG -- never mind the text on top. When I look at my first book, that "Imaginary Friend" one that went up on the iBooks store last week, and plop it into Kindle Previewer, all the full-page SVG pictures seem to show up just fine in Paperwhite -- so as far as I can see, that method of getting images to display full-page (and display at all) seems to work just fine in all versions of Kindle, except for KDX (for which they don't display at all).

I can see/understand that I would need to do up code like you both suggested in order to get those images to show up in KDX, but I guess what's confusing me is your saying I have to do something to get them to show up in Paperwhite -- when, as far as I can tell, they're showing up just fine in that.

Remember, I'm just talking about images (alone) done up with SVG so that they'll display full-page here -- there's no text on top of them, they're just "pictures" and nothing else.
You didn't understand me (and I don't understand you ). Open the ePub below in Kindle Previewer and see how the ebook looks in all preview modes (even Kindle DX). Also open it in ADE/iPad.

EDIT: In the ePub, instead of using the media queries "@media amzn-kf8" and "@media amzn-mobi", I'm employing "@media not amzn-mobi" and "@media amzn-mobi". I do of this way, because by using "@media not amzn-mobi" all the code under this section is applied not only for kf8 but also for ADE and iPad
Attached Files
File Type: epub background_image_test_ruben full.epub (373.2 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 12-11-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #75
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
You didn't understand me (and I don't understand you ). Open the ePub below in Kindle Previewer and see how the ebook looks in all preview modes (even Kindle DX). Also open it in ADE/iPad.
Hmmm... I opened your file in KP, and indeed it seems to work okay in all the various Kindle devices that are available to try out there (although I hate the way that my transparent flower image is no longer "transparent" -- which for me is another reason to give up on trying to do my chapter titles this way).

However, I've attached here screenshots of how your epub looked in iBooks and in ADE. In iBooks, as you can see the "by Author" text comes out all funny, but even worse is ADE -- I don't get one page, but two pages! I've attached screenshots of both of those pages here.

I guess this is why I've given up on this, putting my chapter titles on a background image. I'm sure you'd probably be able to come up with a way that works, but it's all just too "buggy" for me, I think I'll just go a different way, and keep my chapter titles simple (i.e. "plain text", maybe with a nice picture ornament or something).

I guess my only concern/interest now is with regard to full-page images -- no text on top, just images -- and getting those to work okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ruben-iBooks.png
Views:	291
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	116532   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruben-ADE1.png
Views:	283
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	116533   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruben-ADE2.png
Views:	277