Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
georgetoon
Enthusiast
georgetoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question Kindle DX

I have a summer home out in the sticks and am thinking about buying a Kinde DX and leaving it there. Problem is, the 3G coverage doesn't reach into that area. I do have internet, though.

If I have all my purchased Kindle books on my laptop in Calibre, will I be able to transfer and open them on the DX without having to go on 3G?
georgetoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetoon View Post
I have a summer home out in the sticks and am thinking about buying a Kinde DX and leaving it there. Problem is, the 3G coverage doesn't reach into that area. I do have internet, though.

If I have all my purchased Kindle books on my laptop in Calibre, will I be able to transfer and open them on the DX without having to go on 3G?
The USB Cable/port still works, right?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The USB Cable/port still works, right?
Yes, sure does.

I've only used Kindle Keyboard. I have Wi-Fi in the house so no problem with that.

So, I should be able to do all I need (download, update software, register device, etc.) on the DX via USB cable?

Again, Using the Kindle Keyboard has never been an issue. If no 3G, I simply hit my Wi-Fi. DX has no Wi-Fi, only 3G. and, as I said, the 3G service Amazon provides does not reach into the area where home is located.

Last edited by georgetoon; 07-02-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
georgetoon
Enthusiast

I just contacted Amazon. I can only register the DX via 3G. I can do all other things, though, using my USB cable and notebook.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
That is correct. When you buy a book online you have the option to download the file, you merely have to specify which device it will be put on. You can then copy that file into your documents folder on the DX.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
That is correct. When you buy a book online you have the option to download the file, you merely have to specify which device it will be put on. You can then copy that file into your documents folder on the DX.
Thank you. My DX arrives today. Before I head out, I'm going to register it as I have 3G access at the main house. Here's the big question: Rather than download books via USB from amazon, can I simply send them over from Calibre? Calibre is synced to my current Kindle Keyboard. Since both devices are on the same account, I'm assuming the Amazon DRM books in Calibre will recognize the Kindle DX. Am I correct?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you. My DX arrives today. Before I head out, I'm going to register it as I have 3G access at the main house. Here's the big question: Rather than download books via USB from amazon, can I simply send them over from Calibre? Calibre is synced to my current Kindle Keyboard. Since both devices are on the same account, I'm assuming the Amazon DRM books in Calibre will recognize the Kindle DX. Am I correct?
I believe Amazon ties the DRM books to the Account. So if both devices are registered to the same account, you should be fine.

Last edited by theducks; 07-03-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: My day for getting things wrong
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe Amazon ties the DRM books to the Account. So if both devices are registered to the same account, you should be fine.
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Calibre is synced to my current Kindle Keyboard. Since both devices are on the same account, I'm assuming the Amazon DRM books in Calibre will recognize the Kindle DX. Am I correct?
No.

While you can download the books (either via 3G or to the desktop for USB transfer) from Amazon as long as the DX is on the same account the actual DRM encryption is keyed specifically to each device (or app).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
AnemicOak is correct. Notice that I said that you have to specify which device you are downloading it for. The file that you download will only work on that one specific device.

I've never met him, but I hear that Alf is a nice guy and likes to help with these issues.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Thanks, Folks. DX arrived and it's amazing! Just finished a book today. The DX makes for a beter readin experience, IMHO. I like my Kindle Keyboards, but this addtonal screen real estate is the way to go.

Before I left for the non 3G area, I made sure to download books, etc. using 3G. Al is well. Using Clibre one book did not transfer and open. "War Horse" that I purchased form amazon. I have it in Calibre and moved it to my Kindle and it won't open. I'll try another book just to see what happens.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #12
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Well, all my amazon books stored in Calibre move from KK to KK with no problem. But when I move them to my DX, they will no open. For some reason, it does not recognize the account. All three Kindles are on the same account.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Well, all my amazon books stored in Calibre move from KK to KK with no problem. But when I move them to my DX, they will no open. For some reason, it does not recognize the account. All three Kindles are on the same account.
If they work on more than one Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) then the books you tried must be DRM free as DRM is keyed to each device.

If they are in KF8 format they won't open on the DX as the DX doesn't support that format (it's basically a Kindle 2 software wise).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
georgetoon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If they work on more than one Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) then the books you tried must be DRM free as DRM is keyed to each device.

If they are in KF8 format they won't open on the DX as the DX doesn't support that format (it's basically a Kindle 2 software wise).
Thank you. Wish I could create a new Calibre directory for just the DX. I don't think this is possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Thank you. Wish I could create a new Calibre directory for just the DX. I don't think this is possible.
What you can do is convert your MOBI files to AZW3, and delete the original files. The Kindle Keyboard will read the AZW3s natively, and when you connect your DX, Calibre will convert the AZW3 to an old MOBI the DX can read (if you have set the MOBI output format to 'old').
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3g service, amazon, kindle dx