Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
ADE setup problem

I've managed to set up my new Glo with kepubs, but not with books downloaded to ADE. (Though with the kepubs, the reading progress -- percent read, or finished -- was not transferred properly.)

ADE said it authorized the Glo, but when I transfer books they won't open. What happens is that they open to a blank (white) page, and then go to a black page with a page number. When I touch the right-hand side of the screen to go to the next page, I'm taken back to the home page.

In a previous attempt to set up the Glo, I would get the white and then the black page, but when I'd go to the next page it would jump instead eight or ten or more (still black) pages. No pattern that I could discern.

All the ADE books open properly on my Touch, and all can be read OK within ADE itself.

Any help would be welcomed.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
I've managed to set up my new Glo with kepubs, but not with books downloaded to ADE. (Though with the kepubs, the reading progress -- percent read, or finished -- was not transferred properly.)

ADE said it authorized the Glo, but when I transfer books they won't open. What happens is that they open to a blank (white) page, and then go to a black page with a page number. When I touch the right-hand side of the screen to go to the next page, I'm taken back to the home page.

In a previous attempt to set up the Glo, I would get the white and then the black page, but when I'd go to the next page it would jump instead eight or ten or more (still black) pages. No pattern that I could discern.

All the ADE books open properly on my Touch, and all can be read OK within ADE itself.

Any help would be welcomed.
Further to the above:

I just upgraded ADE from 1.7 to 2.0.67532 and re-transferred the books, overwriting the ones already on the Glo. Now there are two other things:

1- For some of the titles I get a message saying the document cannot be opened because it's protected by Adobe DRM and is not authorized for use with my Adobe ID. But the ADE program has authorized my Glo, and the authorization information is the same for the Glo and my computer.

2- For books that will open I get a white screen and as I page through the book there is a tiny image of the page (less than a half-inch square) in the upper left corner of the Glo.

One more thing: Before posting this message I checked ADE again with the Glo attached. Now it refuses to transfer books to the Glo. I get the little red circle with the line through it.

Help!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is there a chance that some of the protected books were downloaded initially via an ADE install that had NOT been registered? ADE can authorize books in two distinct modes.

If you do the initial download of a book to a copy of ADE that has not been registered, then a machine specific ADE ID is created, and that material is not accessible to other machines.

If on the other hand, you have registered ADE before the download, then that same material can be accessed on any other install of ADE associated with the same account.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
My first instinct was to suggest that you de-authorise the ADE account on your Glo, re-boot and then authorise again.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is there a chance that some of the protected books were downloaded initially via an ADE install that had NOT been registered? ADE can authorize books in two distinct modes.

If you do the initial download of a book to a copy of ADE that has not been registered, then a machine specific ADE ID is created, and that material is not accessible to other machines.

If on the other hand, you have registered ADE before the download, then that same material can be accessed on any other install of ADE associated with the same account.
Thanks for the reply, PeterT.

As far as I can remember I downloaded/installed ADE after I bought my Touch, and had no problems transferring books to the Touch.

The problem started when I bought the Glo a few days ago. I set up the Glo with Kobo Desktop, using the same account info as the Touch, and all was OK. Then I opened ADE, which recognized the Glo and asked me to authorize it. I did so, and the authorization numbers for the Glo and my computer are the same. But I can't transfer books properly to the Glo. Have made several attempts, including a factory reset of the Glo, and a download of the latest version of ADE.

The Glo software is ver 2.3.1 (r45611).
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
...Then I opened ADE, which recognized the Glo and asked me to authorize it...
Is there any chance there is a limitation on the number of ereaders you can put your books on ?
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
Is there any chance there is a limitation on the number of ereaders you can put your books on ?
There is a limit on how many devices you can authorize to an ADE account.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
There is a limit on how many devices you can authorize to an ADE account.
That does seem to have been the problem. When I de-authorized the Touch, and then authorized the Glo, the problem was solved and the books transferred to the Glo OK.

Thanks, and thanks also to Hekse-Mie for coming up with the solution.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
You should be able to authorise 6 different devices though
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You should be able to authorise 6 different devices though
Remember though that you cannot deregister a device and if you preregister a device that counts as another registration.

The last few times I have done a reset I just saved and restored the Adobe directory (I'm not at my PC right now but it's the .adobe something directory at the root of the Kobo when attached to your PC).
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Remember though that you cannot deregister a device and if you preregister a device that counts as another registration.

The last few times I have done a reset I just saved and restored the Adobe directory (I'm not at my PC right now but it's the .adobe something directory at the root of the Kobo when attached to your PC).
Peter...
I think that's what I've done... registered too many devices. When I was having problems I de-authorized and authorized my computer and my ebook several times. Is there a way to reset the number of authorizations/registrations?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

You need to go to the Adobe support page for ADE and submit a request. I think http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions.html should be it and select the contact support.

http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...s/supportinfo/
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

Huh! How rude! Good to know, thanks.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This doesn't work?

Quote:
... In the end it’s really simple to unregister an eReader yourself, I don’t know why they don’t put it on their website. You plug your eReader into your computer, start up the Adobe Digital Editions software, wait until it sees the reader, press CTRL + SHIFT + E, then you can select the reader and unregister it. ...
http://www.biancavanwilligenburg.nl/?p=1076
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Nope. It does NOT decrease the count of registered devices on the Adobe Servers!