Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #16
_savage
Connoisseur
_savage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks pholy, that makes a lot of sense. Basically, you're saying that in the eBook implementation (the .xhtml files) I should only use semantic markup, and then style these in the stylesheets.

Is there a more concrete list of what's considered semantic versus presentational markup? I'm sure I could go through the tags and sort through them myself, but perhaps somewhere there's a "style guide" or "best practices" guide?
_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Check our wiki for lots of tips. Note that the semantic trend is nowhere more prominent than in ePub 3 which enforces semantic usage but even ePub 2 encourages it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Check our wiki for lots of tips. Note that the semantic trend is nowhere more prominent than in ePub 3 which enforces semantic usage but even ePub 2 encourages it.
Thanks Dale, I'm reading various Wiki pages at the moment. There are a few nice hints, but also typos in text. For my eBook typing I started to collect several sed/grep reg expressions as well.

Can I just go about and fix these typos, and add the regexps to the Wiki that talks about preparing text for books?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by _savage View Post
Thanks Dale, I'm reading various Wiki pages at the moment. There are a few nice hints, but also typos in text. For my eBook typing I started to collect several sed/grep reg expressions as well.

Can I just go about and fix these typos, and add the regexps to the Wiki that talks about preparing text for books?
Of course, that is the whole idea of a wiki. It is a collective effort that constantly improves the information. You can even build new pages if you feel the need to separate out a topic like reg expressions although there are some pages on this as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _savage View Post
Does anybody have pointers, hints, experiences, etc as to how to go about this?
Presumably you need the mobi for upload to Amazon. In which case, you'll need to use Kindlegen. And it is possible to make an ePub that works well with Kindlegen to generate a Kindle/Mobipocket file.

You should certainly read the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines which is the main documentation for kindlegen.

This will describe how to format the XHTML/CSS2 in the ePub for best results with KindleGen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Of course, that is the whole idea of a wiki. It is a collective effort that constantly improves the information. You can even build new pages if you feel the need to separate out a topic like reg expressions although there are some pages on this as well.
Alright, I'll do that then. I assume others will watch over such changes anyway...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
_savage
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Presumably you need the mobi for upload to Amazon. In which case, you'll need to use Kindlegen. And it is possible to make an ePub that works well with Kindlegen to generate a Kindle/Mobipocket file.

You should certainly read the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines which is the main documentation for kindlegen.

This will describe how to format the XHTML/CSS2 in the ePub for best results with KindleGen.
Thank you pdurrant for the link to the .pdf! That's a read I was looking for, it'll help me to build proper EPUB files.

What triggered my initial question were repeated failed attempts to produce functioning MOBI files, but I think I'm now getting to the point to restrain the EPUB sufficiently.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
_savage
Connoisseur

Hm, so with all this discussion I now stand before a dilemma. I've got an EPUB, which is a children's book with a picture/caption on every page. I've implemented that using individual chapters per page (to make sure the pagebreak works) and using a table to center the image and place the caption below.

This I need to turn into a MOBI for kindle.

Kindlegen compiles this, but after turning two or three pages everything goes black on a Kindle.

Calibre seems to work, but considering the poor job it does with building EPUB I don't trust it at all with MOBI.

The MobiPocket Creator seems to have an option to build picture books, but that would require me to start all over and duplicate the work I've done already.

Do you have a suggestion as to how to proceed from here?