Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1306
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, so much for not buying books. Sourcebooks has a sale on Heyer, and there were seven that I had somehow missed last year. Well, they're not missed now. OTOH, she's a favourite author, and they are on sale, so I think it's a valid splurge. But shoots my TBR right in the head!
Alas, for me they're still all showing around $14/$15.

Under $3 I'd be buying the lot. At $14/$15 I won't buy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #1307
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Well, so much for not buying books. Sourcebooks has a sale on Heyer, and there were seven that I had somehow missed last year. Well, they're not missed now. OTOH, she's a favourite author, and they are on sale, so I think it's a valid splurge. But shoots my TBR right in the head!
That sale wasn't a temptation to me. I've got all of her books in paperback already. I've collected them for years! I've read them all, but can't bear to part with them, because they are such a joy to re-read!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1308
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Alas, for me they're still all showing around $14/$15.

Under $3 I'd be buying the lot. At $14/$15 I won't buy.
That's a darn shame, Paul. Sure you don't want to create a US Amazon account?

I bought almost all of them a while back during one of these birthday sales, and have read most of the ones I bought then. But there were still a few I had missed somehow. At $2.99 each, though, it was a no brainer to fill out the collection. I read all of these in the past, in DT format, but having them now on my Kindle is a pleasure of both reading and anticipation.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #1309
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have all the Heyers in paper, some even in ancient hardback, purchased from library sales. I've also got them all in eformat, and those are what I read. I don't want to risk damaging my paper copies!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #1310
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a darn shame, Paul. Sure you don't want to create a US Amazon account?
It's not as if I'm running out of books to read.

I'll just wait until the UK publisher comes to their senses, and offers a complete backlist bundle for a reasonable price.

[EDIT: And to those of you here who already have all her books in paperback. Would you buy her complete backlist as a bundle of ebooks for, say, $99? I suspect that many of you would.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1311
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If I hadn't already been collecting them, yes, I would. Since I already have them ...... and since I'm finding that reading TOO many romances makes me bemoan the lack thereof in real life ..... no, I don't think I'd buy them again.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #1312
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Books on Board has about 54 of Heyer's titles for $2.00
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #1313
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Yep, that was my final slide into relapse. I bought 7 for $2.99 each at Amazon before discovering the Books on Board sale. I'm leaving on a 2-3 month road trip next week, sans computer, so that's my rationalization.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #1314
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
US only. I can't decide if that's fortunate or not! I doubt I'd make my 'TBR under 300' target if it was a UK offer!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #1315
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
US only. I can't decide if that's fortunate or not! I doubt I'd make my 'TBR under 300' target if it was a UK offer!
Although I have to admit that at $2 each I'm just going to see if I can go to the US for a short visit.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #1316
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Although I have to admit that at $2 each I'm just going to see if I can go to the US for a short visit.
Back from visiting my old digs in Denver. And 46 ebooks heavier and $86 lighter, for an average cost of $1.87.

It means I still need nine more to complete my set (I already had three):

2 The Great Roxhythe (1923)
4 Instead of the Thorn (1923)
5 Simon the Coldheart (1925)
7 Helen (1928)
10 Pastel (1929)
11 Barren Corn (1930)
27 The Spanish Bride (1940)
52 Frederica (1965)
58 Pursuit (in The Queens Book of the Red Cross) (1939)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #1317
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

This does, of course, mean that I am unlikely to meet my target of under 300 ebooks on my TBR list by the end of 2012. But they were (literally) on my wishlist at BooksOnBoard, and they were on special offer.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #1318
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Great support group, but a bit of enabling going on. Pdurrant now owns more Heyers than I and I'm thinking I need to get the rest while they're cheap. Must take deep breaths...

Last edited by BelleZora; 08-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #1319
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Stating that there is a booksale somewhere in this thread is akin to throwing a bottle of rye into an AA meeting.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1320
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Stating that there is a booksale somewhere in this thread is akin to throwing a bottle of rye into an AA meeting.
Not quite an accurate analogy. But it certainly doesn't help the TBR pile.

On the other hand, being able to take advantage of a genuine sale like the Georgette Heyer one at BooksOnBoard is one of the reasons for keeping a tight rein on spending when there isn't a sale on.

Admittedly, I've now almost bought more books this month than in the rest of the year in total (49 to 54). But my average ebook cost for the year is $2.17, and that's for 103 books that I really wanted to read. That's really rather good.

And I might have bought the Heyers when they weren't on sale, without this thread.