Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Marvin 3.0: Interchange configuration and ?

Hello.

New Marvin says it can interchange configuration/annotations/etc. across devices, but I cannot find how.

I have another question: is the Annotation/Journal synced across devices or can it be easily synced. I don't want to be synced in realtime, but once a book is read, the ability to merge all the annotations in one file.

To be clear: what I want to do is read same ebook in different devices and then get a file with comments, journaling from all devices. Can it be done?

(Yes I know, a developer dies trying to do a successful complex program and then comes a luser and breaks it. Sorry).
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I found the "export" thing. Each section has the top-right button that allows you to export the configuration to Dropbox or whatever other compatible "file system aware" program or even AirDrop.

But I would like to understand my question about Annotation/Journal.
Advert
Old 06-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@rfog To export all annotations and journal for a book, slide it to the left or long press it and choose the share button.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
rfog
Guru

Thanks, I found it. And you can export ALL your annotations/journal if you do it from library. I mean, if you want to export for a book, do it from the book itself, if you want to export for all boos, do it from Library.

But as far as I can understand, there is no option to "mix" the journal/exports from different devices.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
The inability to synchronize highlights, annotations, and bookmarks automatically between devices has been the no. 1 missing feature in Marvin since its inception. I call it "the elephant in the room", in terms of still missing Marvin functionality. We can only hope it will one day be added to Marvin.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 AM   #6
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@rfog - I'm working on an export to sync ALL journal items for a new update.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #7
rfog
Guru

Thanks, Kris.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The inability to synchronize highlights, annotations, and bookmarks automatically between devices has been the no. 1 missing feature in Marvin since its inception. I call it "the elephant in the room", in terms of still missing Marvin functionality. We can only hope it will one day be added to Marvin.
You are probably right... But could you limit yourself to telling us once a day only?
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If others limit themselves to mentioning it once, I'll likewise limit myself to reacting to this crucial topic once. It does seem to me as if rfog launched two threads about essentially the same thing, but please don't blame me for that.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
rfog
Guru

Quote:
If others limit themselves to mentioning it once, I'll likewise limit myself to reacting to this crucial topic once. It does seem to me as if rfog launched two threads about essentially the same thing, but please don't blame me for that.
What? Who? Me?

I create a new one because I thought this was was misunderstand by my poor English as Kris interpreted it as what I wanted was to be able to export the full Journal.

And then opened the second one to be clear in what I would like to have.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Of syncing config, I had thought of that a bit. Maybe between SxS and devices of the same type, but between iPhone and iPad could be more tricky. Likely Kris knows this if he had it planned or was considering it way down the line.

As for Faterson, maybe in a few decades he will have more life experience, have a better understanding of the entire history of philosophy plus thought before it's invention and maybe then no longer cling to a belief in reason, or come to realize getting someone to like you is among and composant of the more effective methods to get someone to listen. I still believe technical problems of earlier iOS versions are the why for sync not appearing initially and if with iOS 8 it was finally possible and possible to be reliable, maybe Kris was occupied with school or who knows what else.

Since Fat doesn't seem to see the polemic tone of what he considers mere reason, I'll respond this time. There's a passage somewhere about someone who loves and finds joy in finding new and varied ways of saying the same thing. Of this person, it happens to be Fat's avatar on Github. So I think I'll make a script to set his avatar here and be reminded that of what he's shown, some particulars of his personality are quite like who he perhaps admires most: Schopenhauer.

Last edited by democrite; 06-26-2016 at 10:09 AM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
What? Who? Me?
No big deal, rfog, that's perfectly fine. I have no idea who "ichbindasauge" is, but he has published 80 or so posts in his 7 years on MobileRead, but he just couldn't resist the urge to make his only contribution in this thread to be a reprimand of a poster who has made over 1300 posts in 5 years here, and who's been Beta-testing Marvin since version 1.

You've just got to shrug things like that off – it's par for the course on MobileRead. Whenever you post here, expect to get attacked personally – it's the price to pay. I'm happy to pay it, though, if the end result will be the improvement of Marvin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Maybe between SxS and devices of the same type, but between iPhone and iPad could be more tricky.
Nonsense. It's the syncing between iPhone and iPad that is most urgently needed for Marvin, because many users enjoy reading the same book on both devices.

In fact, ideally, it should be cross-platform syncing, while iOS-only syncing should be an obvious feature. Unfortunately, I know quite a few folks who have already ditched Marvin and switched to an inferior e-reader solution like Google Play Books, just because they can have their annotations automatically synchronized to the desktop computer that way. A friend of mine wrote me yesterday that he checked out Marvin 3, and he likes its looks, but he's going to stick with Google Play Books, because he just can't live without his annotations being synchronized to his Windows computer (and vice versa).

So, the ultimate goal should also be the development of Marvin for Windows, Marvin for Mac OS, and Marvin for Android (and Marvin for Linux?) versions, and cross-platform syncing among all those platforms. Yep, that kind of syncing (but especially the development and maintenance of the various Marvin versions) could be more tricky. It's likely unattainable utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
some particulars of his personality are quite like who he perhaps admires most: Schopenhauer.
Absolutely, Schopenhauer is a role model of mine. But I admire others just as much, for example Plato, Tolstoy, and Emerson.

Last edited by Faterson; 06-26-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #13
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Smile

Quote:
I have no idea who "ichbindasauge" is
Neither do I, who you are
Let's just say, I am an ebook reader, sometimes also in Marvin and originally from a country that just last night beat your country in the Euro Cup (sorry, couldn't resist to point out that one ).

You know, with my comment, I wasn't trying to attack you. I, and I am sure many other people here, have appreciated your enthusiasm and comments about Marvin over the last few years. I certainly don't post a lot, often just because I don't have anything to contribute, but I have been following the discussion here closely.

Again, I really appreciate your contributions here. But I have to admit, I feel that in your enthusiasm you sometimes come across too strong, probably stronger than you intend it yourself. This is especially true when you repeat the same strongly worded comments several times. I know, you think Marvin is almost perfect and it just needs these few improvements to really perfect. I am not putting you in the same category as those trolls that are just about spreading bad vibes.

Again, I am not trying to attack you. There is also no need to continue this discussion or even to listen to me. This was just meant as friendly feedback.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Cool

No harm done. (Well, except to our football team, but please don't think that was their true face last night – they had an off day.) I'm all for a lively exchange of opinions – it's just that here on MobileRead, you never know... Quite a lot of hyper-politically-correct individuals roam these forums, ready to take offence immediately when others simply express a sincere and direct opinion about the deficiencies of a piece of software...