Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
soparch
Enthusiast
soparch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Indexing links in ADE

I am indexing a book and have found that ADE does not take you from the link directly to the paragraph anchor in the main text. (You have to scroll down or go to the next page to find the reference.) Is this a problem with ADE ? As these links work correctly on the Kindle taking you directly to the paragraph i.e they appear at the top of the screen.
Is there a way around this?
Thanks
soparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
This does not sound like normal behavior. Are you sure the links are correct with unique id's for link and anchor?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soparch View Post
I am indexing a book and have found that ADE does not take you from the link directly to the paragraph anchor in the main text. (You have to scroll down or go to the next page to find the reference.) Is this a problem with ADE ? As these links work correctly on the Kindle taking you directly to the paragraph i.e they appear at the top of the screen.
Is there a way around this?
Thanks
I believe this is a function of the reading application. I find Hanlin (Jinke) devices take you to the page number instead of the paragraph. Others may behave similarly. This of course, negates using an Index. However, I believe all ADE devices will not repaginate, thus the page is on fixed boundaries and while the index reference will go to the page it will not display the paragraph at the top of the page which would change the page boundaries. MOBI does not have a concept of fixed page boundaries which is why it works in this case.

The solution would be for ADE to highlight the target on the page but it does not do that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
soparch, do you have any tips on index creation in general? I have started a thread about the topic over here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152612
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
soparch
Enthusiast
soparch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies. I think Dalede is right Just another thing that Adobe has not bothered to get right.
It would be interesting to find out if this is the case for all readers that use the ADE engine though. Perhaps people could test it using their readers and post the results.
Also does anyone know what method ADE uses to come up with its page numbers?
soparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
ADE (and all RMSDK based readers) will take you to the screen that contains the link. ADE will not repaginate the content so that the link is on the top of the screen (I'm biased, but I believe this to be the correct behavior) . If it does not take you that screen (ie you have to scroll), then that's a bug.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soparch View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think Dalede is right Just another thing that Adobe has not bothered to get right.
It would be interesting to find out if this is the case for all readers that use the ADE engine though. Perhaps people could test it using their readers and post the results.
Also does anyone know what method ADE uses to come up with its page numbers?
This is taken from the ADE page on our wiki.

Page numbers

Synthetic page numbers are used when the page map is not available in the document, Adobe Digital Editions will synthesize a page-map based on the document content. The approach used is the following:

1. Determine a compressed byte length of each resource which is referenced in the spine, subtracting any known encryption overhead (IV size)
2. Assume that there is a page for each 1024 bytes in each resource, rounding up to the nearest whole number of pages for each resource.
3. To map page breaks into a resource, use the number of pages for the resource as determined in step 2, count the number of Unicode characters in the resource; distribute synthetic page breaks in the resource evenly between the characters by dividing the number of characters by the number of pages; if the number of characters don’t divide evenly among the pages, round the number of characters per page up and let the last “page” contain less characters than the rest.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote